What's wrong with Jamaica?

clearwaters

After reading so many negative posts on Jamaica, we went to a reliable source. A guy we know who is from there. We told him we were going there on a cruise. He told us that Ocho was a great place to spend the day, but be careful. (He then laughed and said, you're from Memphis, you know how it is.) Anyway, he told us a smile and a simple no works with most of those trying to sell you stuff. Don't act scared or intimidated, just smile and keep walking. He also told us Dunn's was not to be missed.

we were there over the summer and took a cab to dunn's river falls. we felt VERY safe with our cabbie, who even kept our towels, etc and came back for us. we didn't pay him until we were safely back at the pier.

the guides at dunn's river must have new instructions as far as demanding tips. we asked for and received a private guide, when i asked around as to an appropriate tip to give him, we were told 'please tip what you can afford' by several folks there.

we ended up giving him $50 which i hope was good enough, he seemed happy with it.

the carnival tour group paid WAY more then we did (total) and ended up with about 50 people per guide.

after being dropped at the pier we decided to walk to the straw market down the road.. that's where it got hairy, with peddlers, braiders, bums, and drug dealers.

I sell a family a cruise that I spend hours and hours on setting up for them, paying Fed Ex postage for them, making a ton of phone calls for them, give them OBC's and don't make $50. I would like to work for you.

it felt very UNSAFE to me there. then we went to the shopping area right at the pier and it was very nice.

knowing what i know now, i'd just stay off the streets. get a cabbie and don't let him go!

but, on the other hand, i'm going to avoid cruises that make stops in jamaica as i feel that i've seen enough there.

You gave him a $50 tip?! What did you pay for his services that you thought $50 was an appropriate tip? How long was his with you and what all did he do for you?

• 4 weeks later...

On June 2,2008....Magaritaville in Ocho Rios was held up and a Security guard murdered. See link. But no mention of the establishment?

http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/20080625/news/news5.html

See other related....ie...crime

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/8990/26/

on & on & on

Many Jamaicans will not visit their own country during this time of escalating violence and police corruption.

People...Be AWARE !....&.....Be Careful !

You gave him a $50 tip?! What did you pay for his services that you thought $50 was an appropriate tip? How long was his with you and what all did he do for you?

A $50 tip is huge:eek:

That's probable a weeks wages for some in Jamaica.

I hear about people being afraid to go to Jamaica all of the time. We go back to Jamaica every year. Either land based (Sandals, Negril) or cruise.

Yes, just like any other country there is crime; and poverty is pretty rampant. BUT... the people are lovely and the country is beautiful.

I can get murdered, just as fast, driving down the highways here in Dallas; so really.. what is the difference?

I guess what I am trying to say, is be careful no matter where you are, state-side or out of the country. Don't wander off by yourself, stay in a group, and have FUN.

We also loved Jamaica! We hired a guide (Mark Morris-wonderful!) and went to the falls and tubing down the river. It was our favorite port. The experience of tubing down the river with the rain falling on us was spectacular! My husband said the scenery reminded him of Costa Rica. We loved the beaches in Cozumel and snorkeling with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, but there was something about the falls and the tubing down the river. It was so green, and there were so many flowers. It really is a beautiful island. I don't know that I would want to venture out on my own, but we felt completely safe with our guide. I'm glad we didn't stay on the ship, and I'm really glad we stopped in Jamaica!

My wife and daughter returned a few days ago from a week on the Triumph, and they both said that if they had to pick their favorite port (both liked all of them) it would be Ocho Rios. They went on a private excursion (sold through Island Marketing) that included Dunn's and inner-tubing and thoroughly enjoyed it. They said that people on Jamaica were very friendly, that the part of the island they saw was gorgeous, and that they always felt safe and would be happy to return.

nobody is denying that Jamaica is pretty and most of the people are great...its the crime and the poverty that make this one of the most dangerous places on earth....Beirut was beautiful and I have friends from there but I wouldn't cruise there now either......

Guess you won't be riding buses in W. Canada either.

..the rest of the passengers made it to Winnipeg

ok bad joke but winnipeg is winnipeg.

and of course I won't be riding greyhound...nobody with any money or sense rides the buses anymore...even with the price of gas the comfort and security of your own vehicle is way better...which kind of makes my point about Jamaica

One of my co-workers is going to Ocho Rios next spring for a land vacation. I've been giving her suggestions and advice on where to go while there, a lot of which I've gleaned from these boards.

I suggested that if she keeps her head about her and her eyes open, and is friendly and respectful, she should have no more problem than in any American city.

How sad that Jamaica's reputation has sunk so low on these boards! The country has been plagued by poverty and politic unrest for decades, so the people suffer.

Then what happens? Gigantic, gleaming cruise ships bring ten thousand tourists a day to two towns. That's two towns out of the 4400 square miles of poverty-stricken Jamaica. Locals flock to those two towns to sell whatever it is they sell to those thousands of tourists who leave the ships with dollars to spend. Can you blame them? If you were in their situation - living in a corrugated shack - wouldn't you go where the money is? Wouldn't you say, hey mon, want to buy some <whatever>?

Yes, there is crime. Yes, you should exercise caution and common sense. Do you live in a crime-free hometown? If so, consider yourself lucky.

Folks on these boards seem shocked and alarmed that there are armed guards. Been to London lately? Be happy that you are being protected.

Travel is all about experiencing new places and other cultures. When you travel, do you avoid traveling to any place that has crime? Why is Jamaica singled out so often on CC? The vast majority of Jamaicans are laid-back, lovely people. The island is beautiful. To those who advocate staying on the ship, you do a great disservice to the good people of Jamaica.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, Ocho Rios wasn't exactly my favorite place, but it wasn't that bad. The aggressive vendors weren't a problem for me. I just said "no thank you," with a smile. I may change my mind after visiting MoBay this spring, but I doubt it. I won't let rumors and fear keep me from enjoying such a beautiful place.

I really think so much about how you're treated has to do with your manner; the subtleties of how you handle yourself. When I say "no, thank you though" and smile, it is with a genuine smile that conveys respect and goodwill. When you understand that these folks are just doing what they need to do to get by, and you feel friendly towards them, they sense it, and they respect your answer. If you think they are uncivilized, potentially violent wogs, and react with fear, distaste or nervousness, they sense that too, and their sales pitch goes from pleading to bullying.

Now, that doesn't mean that you should be a pollyanna, blind to the criminal activities that certainly do take place there. Again, your manner of conducting yourself matters. Be alert, and I mean visibly alert to what's going on around you. Look around. Look friendly, but don't look weak. Move with purpose. Don't do stupid things like count your money on the street. Secure your valuables. Don't wear your Rolex or big diamonds. This is common sense in a high crime area.

The thing is, by being alert and looking alert, by not making yourself an easy target, you lower drastically your chances of being a victim. The criminals (and, yes, I'm sure they exist in abundance in Jamaica) aren't looking to scam, plant drugs on, steal from or otherwise victimize people who make it difficult for them. They're looking for easy marks. Don't be one.

My opinions on this are not arrived at by idle speculation. I was raised on the rough side of Houston, and have lived in NYC, spending quite a bit of time in the more crime ridden areas (South Bronx, Bed Stuy, Alphabet City, The F train and the A train after dark.) My wife has an even more distinguished pedigree in knowing how to conduct yourself so as not to be a victim, as she was born and raised in Rio De Janeiro, a city at least as famous as Jamaica for crime. The point is, we know what we're talking about.

Enjoy Jamaica, be smart and be safe.

worth the risk...Jamaica not so much

I can't totally disagree with you there. The reward part in the risk/reward ratio is significantly higher than in Jamaica.

I should say that for all my protesting that Jamaica isn't as bad as some paint it, we have no intention of renting a car and striking off on our own. I just think that in the main tourist areas adjacent to the cruise ship docks, the risk is manageable. And I totally respect the right of everyone to decide what they're willing to put up with.

Like I said, I may change my mind after going to MoBay, which I have heard is significantly worse than Ocho Rios, where we've been. I'm not really afraid, but I might decide it's more irritation than it's worth. The main point to me is that it's better to find out for yourself than to let others tell you what you should do or think.

As you have apparently done.

We were in Ocho Rios 2 weeks ago, and had a great time!!

We went river tubing, then walked around the shopping areas.

We were approached by vendors, taxi drivers and hair braiders. We declined politely, with a smile, and were never hassled at any time!!

We felt safe and comfortable... we never felt intimidated or threatened at any time!!

I would definitely go there again..... staying on the ship is a waste of a good day!!

I don't understand why cruise ships even go there. The cruise lines should get together with the authorities there and tell them unless they cleanup the place that the cruise ships will stop coming. By cleanup the place I mean have more law enforcement visible to stop people from being harassed and bothered. There seems to be an awful lot of crime there.

I don't understand why cruise ships even go there. The cruise lines should get together with the authorities there and tell them unless they cleanup the place that the cruise ships will stop coming. By cleanup the place I mean have more law enforcement visible to stop people from being harassed and bothered. There seems to be an awful lot of crime there.

Cruise ships go there because people like going there!!

There isn't a lot of crime in the tourist areas..... Jamaicans realise a lot of their ecenomy is based on tourism.

We were approached by a few people, they were all polite and friendly.... never felt harassed or bothered... just people trying to make a living!! I felt a lot less safe in Miami the night before we cruised!!!

I felt 100% safe and comfortable walking around Ocho Rios.... maybe if I were in Kingston, things would be different.... but cruise ships don't go to Kingston!!!

For those that seem hesitant to get off the ship at Jamaica.. don't. Please use someone like Mark Morris as a tour guide and you will have the time of your life.

As far as drugs, this is not just an issue with Jamaica! Go to any shopping mall in the US and just watch what is going on in the parking lots! It is just 'hidden' here. Don't miss an opportunity because you think you won't be safe! Just 'be smart'.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just been to Jamaica last week I can honestly say that it's beautiful. We were two women alone (mum and daughter) and for the most part we were with Phil Lafayette private tours (which I would highly recommend). We were on our own for a couple of hours just wondering about, we were offered nothing other than some local crafts and politely declined. No one was rude, aggressive or abusive. please don't be put off by the bad posts on here and don't let it spoil your chance to feel some Jamaican culture. Keep your wits about you as you would in any city, when you get off the ship just take a positive attitude and you'll have a great time!

Archived