Flying into Cairo

travelbugs

I was just informed that on the London-Cairo flight (British Air) that NO liquids at all are allowed. We have never flown BA. LAX to London, no problem, but we would have to trash anything before we got on the Cairo flight. I'd be intrested to hear from anyone who's knowledgable about this. Thank you! -Travelbugs

If you look at the BA website, they are pretty clear that Egypt is a country that does not allow any liquids at all in hand luggage. So it sounds like it's an Egyptian requirement rather than BA, and that it applies to flights both entering and leaving the country.

At least, that's my interpretation. Have you already double-checked with BA?

Thank you cruisemom42, I was afraid of that. I just got off of the phone with BA. Now I'm sure if anyone's luggage gets lost it will be mine! No makeup or hand sanitizer. Now i'm wondering, if they have shops beyond security, does that stuff count? Hmmm...

We just returned from Cairo, flying Egypt Air. We had not problems with our quart size bag with the 3 oz. liquids. I even had a juice bottle in my bag and I wasn't stopped. However, the next person was. When you go through security there are signs that tell you about the liquids. I believe this is a British Airways rule from London to Cairo. It was not true flying on Egypt Air from NY or the return.

However, watch when you have your carry-ons flying out of Cairo. We had two wheeled carry-ons and all of a sudden they said there was a new rule that it was only one per couple. Some people got through, we didn't. The solution: separate yourself from your spouse. We had to quickly take out our breakables and I forgot one perfume bottle and it got broken. I think I can mend it with some super glue. We had no problems with the inter-Egypt flights.

Have a great time. It is awesome. But, be prepared for some shock. Some people are not prepared and cannot handle seeing poverty such as we saw. If you have any questions I will try and help.

Okay, I guess whether it's British Air or Egypt's, rules are rules...when in Rome, er, I mean Egypt. We recieved our documents today and it states in there as well. Are "pasty" type things considered liquids? Are there any shops after you clear security in London/Heathrow?

We are starting to get excited now (leave on Monday), guess it's time to measure the suitcases and start packing. We are taking all of the leftover Halloween candy ( We heard that the kids over there really enjoy sweet treats). I was hoping to visit an orphanage I read about somewhere but I can't find the link anymore, anyone know about this orphanage (maybe near Edfu)?

NAS-KARR-Seminole meaning Fla. or immigrated to Oklahoma?

We will also be on the Nile Festival if anyone has experience with this vessel. ~Travelbugs

Travelbugs:

I just had a thought. When the first rule came out a couple of years ago about NO liquids except in checked luggage came out here is what I did.

The little vinyl cosmetic bags that we get when we buy these promo cosmetic items - You know what I mean. I put my liquids in those bags and they got there just fine. Even this time I put some hair spray, liquid soap and hair gel in a plastic bag, wrapped in saran wrap first, put it in hubby's leather case and it went all over Egypt. Never had a leak. If you are concerned about the top coming off then tape it. I hope this makes sense. I use the stronger freezer bags for things like this. Then inside the vinyl bag.

I am sure there are things you can figure out rather than tossing the items in London. Good Luck. Let us hear from you when you return.

Oh, we went to an elementary school in a Nubian village in Aswan. I had taken some crayons and pens along to give to the teachers to use in the classrooms. I wish now I had taken lots more.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're back and what a wonderful trip it was! My little bottle of hand sanitizer never got taken away (I was prepeared to toss it), they did take away a bottle of water I forgot I had in my bag (in Cairo to LHR). On Egypt Air Express (nice plane by the way), I had half of a bottle of water with Propel in it which turned it pink, They made me take a drink of it in front of them then they gave me the ok (this was Cairo to Luxor). We weren't able to visit any schools but we did find a couple of families that were very thankful for everything we brought (tshirts, colored pencils, paper, pens, tennis shoes and candy). We took pocketfuls of candy at every stop (mainly those dumdum pops). As we were leaving the Valley of the Kings we turned around for a parting shot and saw lollipops hanging out of every armed guard's smiling mouth there! Cairo was crazy, but the people are wonderful and we found the Nubians to be the kindest.

Well, we're back and what a wonderful trip it was! My little bottle of hand sanitizer never got taken away (I was prepeared to toss it), they did take away a bottle of water I forgot I had in my bag (in Cairo to LHR). On Egypt Air Express (nice plane by the way), I had half of a bottle of water with Propel in it which turned it pink, They made me take a drink of it in front of them then they gave me the ok (this was Cairo to Luxor). We weren't able to visit any schools but we did find a couple of families that were very thankful for everything we brought (tshirts, colored pencils, paper, pens, tennis shoes and candy). We took pocketfuls of candy at every stop (mainly those dumdum pops). As we were leaving the Valley of the Kings we turned around for a parting shot and saw lollipops hanging out of every armed guard's smiling mouth there! Cairo was crazy, but the people are wonderful and we found the Nubians to be the kindest.

Any more info you want to give on your trip? I'm headed to Egypt in February and can't wait. How was the weather? Hot everywhere?

Archived