Eurostar Day Trip - London to Paris

lhall85917

We will be in London 2-3 days prior to our June 10 cruise from Dover. Right now we are considering a day trip to Paris during that time. I know there is plenty to do in London, but going to Paris for the day is also intriguing! I've checked out the Eurostar site and that seems to be a good option. What I'm looking for are suggestions or thoughts on how to make the most out of this day if we decide to do it.

Paris seems to be something we can do on our own, suggestions for a good itinerary for the day would be helpful. We'd like to do the big things - Eiffel Tower, Louvre, perhaps a Seine river cruise.

Any Eurostar tips or suggestions would also be helpful. When is the best time to book? It looks like it is too early to do it now?

Have a look on the Eurostar website, if the tickets are available then I would book them. Generally the earlier you book the cheaper it is but Eurostar do also have deals throughout the year also.

The Eurostar is well worth traveling on. It's such a unique experience traveling on a train and once you hit the channel tunnel (30 mins in the tunnel) you come out in a completely different country.

We will be in London 2-3 days prior to our June 10 cruise from Dover. Right now we are considering a day trip to Paris during that time. I know there is plenty to do in London, but going to Paris for the day is also intriguing!

We spent a week in London in August and did a day trip to Paris. If I was only staying 2 to 3 days in London I would not bother with the expense of going to Paris for the day.

It was a long, long day!!!! First train out was at 5:30 AM and the counters open up at 5:00 AM. We ended up getting a wake up call for 3:45 and arranging a cab for 4:45 to get to Waterloo Station. As of this month I believe it leaves from St Pancras International which would have been further for us to go from our hotel in Mayfair.

We took the last train back which I think left around 9:30 and got back to our hotel just before midnight (there was a one hour time change).

Once we got to Paris we took the Metro to the Louvre and from there used the hop on hop off boat to get around. Worked out pretty good to see alot of sites. To do it again we would have taken a later train in the morning and an overnight bag and spent the night there.

Just "my" Opinion:

Paris is great. But, there is a lot to do there and hard to do it justice in one day. We thought Louvre was/is OVERWHELMING! Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing place. But, me personally, my brain hurt after a few hours, with all the stuff to take in and the crowds. I preferred taking in the Louvre a few hours at a time.

Did the exact same thing summer before last. I thought it was definately worth it, particularly if you might never get to Paris again. Took the train around 7:00 then caught the underground to Notre Dame. From there took the water taxi on the Seine to the Louve and the Eiffel Tower. Then took a bus to the Champs de Elysees and walked to the Arc. Had dinner at one of the sidewalk resturants there and then took the undergound back to the the train station. The best time saver I found was a tour of the Louve for Americans. It's next to impossible to find the place to sign up, but you get to see all the highlights in a short period of time. Granted, there's lots more to see and do in Paris, but it was an enjoyable day and worth the effort.

Anyone who is familiar with disembarking a cruise in Dover: We are thinking of taking the Eurostar to Paris from Ashford in July. The prices have just been released. It is $96.00 US per person ( non refundable rate).

1. Are there better fares for one way ? Specials?

2. If we take a taxi from the port of Dover, how long would it take to get to Ashford? Does it sound reasonable to make the 11 am train?

Now that we can actually book, I look forward to your responses and advice.

Thank you!

Anyone who is familiar with disembarking a cruise in Dover: We are thinking of taking the Eurostar to Paris from Ashford in July. The prices have just been released. It is $96.00 US per person ( non refundable rate).

1. Are there better fares for one way ? Specials?

2. If we take a taxi from the port of Dover, how long would it take to get to Ashford? Does it sound reasonable to make the 11 am train?

Now that we can actually book, I look forward to your responses and advice.

Thank you!

Ashford is about 23 miles away and should take about 1/2 hour in good traffic. I would think it should cost between £20-£30, but thats just a guess. I'm sure someone from the area will be able to give a more exact price.

There is loads of info on here http://www.seat61.com/France.htm#Eurostar

don't believe everything you read on Eurostars web site for best place to buy tickets etc.

Just for info, from Nov 14th Eurostar will run from the re furbished St Pancras station, not Waterloo, cutting the journey to about 2hr 15 mins.

Also don't forget to check the seating plan before you book your tickets. If you are not going 1st clas you will be in coaches 1-5, 14-18. Not all seats have a table and many are 'aircraft style' behind each other.

http://www.directline-citybreaks.co.uk/Eurostar%20Seating%20Plan

Simon

don't believe everything you read on Eurostars web site for best place to buy tickets etc.

Just for info, from Nov 14th Eurostar will run from the re furbished St Pancras station, not Waterloo, cutting the journey to about 2hr 15 mins.

Also don't forget to check the seating plan before you book your tickets. If you are not going 1st clas you will be in coaches 1-5, 14-18. Not all seats have a table and many are 'aircraft style' behind each other.

Simon

If Eurostar's website isn't always the best place to buy tickets where else do you suggest looking?

Sorry, I was thinking of other parts of Marks website where he gives the best site to go to according to where you are in the world (ie UK, US or whatever) , but I forgot that this doesn't apply to Eurostar, just other European rail companies. I still think its stupid that when I go one way in May it is cheaper to buy a return ticket (£59) and throw half away as the single fare is £309!!!

Simon

Simon

Thanks for the tip about the seating plan. Since we have never been on a train like this, which type of seat in the cheapest fare would you recommend ? Since we are booking 9 months in advance, we would probably have a pretty good choice. So do you like the ones with the tabel?or something else? Which would have the most leg room or elbow space? Do we get to choose our seat right when we book?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

One more question about the taxi... book ahead or are there lots waiting at the port?

Thanks for the tip about the seating plan. Since we have never been on a train like this, which type of seat in the cheapest fare would you recommend ? Since we are booking 9 months in advance, we would probably have a pretty good choice. So do you like the ones with the tabel?or something else? Which would have the most leg room or elbow space? Do we get to choose our seat right when we book?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

One more question about the taxi... book ahead or are there lots waiting at the port?

I would pick a table seat just to get a bit of extra room. Its also easier if you choose to have a snack or do the crossword or whatever, but there are not many about. Coaches 1 and 18 have several, both for 2 and 4 seats, but the other standard class coaches only have one each side in the middle. Also, bear in mind that not all seats are by a window if you want to 'sightsee', so check the plan before you book. You should be given the choice when you book. If you're not say 'I want seat x in coach y' and they should be able to say if you can have it or not.

Simon

Thanks . That gives me a better idea .

Still wondering if anybody has disembarked a ship in Dover: how is the taxi situation ? Need to know if we have to pre-book a ride to Ashford, or if there will be enough taxis available . Anybody know ?

We were in London, pre-cruise, at the end of September and had booked first class seating on Eurostar. Arrived at Waterloo at 6:10 AM and was half asleep handing my passport over to be stamped prior to boarding the train. The car had tables for two and four. Breakfast menu consisted of two meal choices.

Upon arrival in Paris, we did a quick city highlight tour which ended at the Eiffel Tower where we enjoyed champagne and wine lunch and a great view of the city and a taxi driver strike blocking the nearby bridge. From there we walked a few hundred feet to the Seine where we boarded a river boat for a narrated cruise. Later we went to the Louvre. Too crowded IMO. Also stopped in some of the underground shops and grabbed a soda at the food court. In the evening, we took the Eurostar back to London. Again, choice of two dinner entrees and plenty of wine. We got back to our hotel very exhausted but no regrets about doing this trip. Oh, I booked this, with the help of my TA, about 6 weeks prior to our cruise.

Darcy

Archived