Where to stop to break up 12 hr drive to Miami

gamommyof3

Hey everyone - thanks for your feedback so far regarding parking our car with the cargo carrier. I think we are just going to park at the port and see if we can get some uncovered parking.

We are driving to Miami from Atlanta and were thinking that maybe we'd stop 1 1/2 - 2 hours out to break the drive up somewhat. We'll have time to drive a couple of hours after check-out the day we board.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to stop? I'm not familiar with the area - I was thinking a small, less expensive city than Ft Lauderdale. But, will stay in Ft Lauderdale. How far away is that exactly?

Thanks!

K

Hey everyone - thanks for your feedback so far regarding parking our car with the cargo carrier. I think we are just going to park at the port and see if we can get some uncovered parking.

We are driving to Miami from Atlanta and were thinking that maybe we'd stop 1 1/2 - 2 hours out to break the drive up somewhat. We'll have time to drive a couple of hours after check-out the day we board.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to stop? I'm not familiar with the area - I was thinking a small, less expensive city than Ft Lauderdale. But, will stay in Ft Lauderdale. How far away is that exactly?

Thanks!

K

Honestly, I would hop on the turnpike and head to Orlando. It is closer to four hours but it is a quick drive and there is lots to do in Orlando.

Consider staying in Cocoa Beach and visiting the Kennedy Space Center.

Yes, I second Cocoa beach area. You'll be about mile marker 200 on 95 . a straight shot to Miami the next day.

You can hit the beach for a couple of hours, stock up on RonJon t-shirts, have a meal and not feel that you 'were so close but didn't go into' any of the Orlando centers for extracting cash from your wallet!

Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne .... any of the above and you should find uncrowded Atlantic Beach.

We drive until late into the night and just want a clean room to sleep in and are on the road as soon as we get up. Port St. Lucie is less than 2 hours away. Melbourne, Titusville, and Vero are all close by also. We stayed at Ramada Titusville and it was fine for the night for about $60. We had about 3 hours the next day. These are all along I-95.

If you get on the turnpike at Wildwood, I don't know of a lot past Orlando and you will have 3 hours the next day to drive. Tolls are $20-$25.

Archived