Anytime tables for 2 - myth or reality on larger ships?

Dena

We enjoy Princess because they offer anytime dining. On the Dawn we never had a problem with getting a table for 2 for breakfast lunch or dinner.

However, on both the Diamond and Sapphire when we requested a table for 2 at breakfast or lunch, they tried to seat us with others. We said we'd rather wait for a table for 2 and they sometimes seemed annoyed, but we were accommodated. I guess I could understand this attitude if the dining room was crowded, but ut usually was not. I don't know what would have hapened at dinner on these larger ships because we were traveling with another couple and we had no problem getting a table for 4 each night.

Now DH and I will be traveling on the Diamond and wonder how difficult it will be to get a table for 2 for dinner. Will we need to wait long? Will we need to dine very late - we don't go the shows, so this is an option.

I've read several reviews where people on the Golden were made to feel uncomfortable when asking for a table for 2 at dinner. Does anyone have experience with this (good or bad)?

We enjoy Princess because they offer anytime dining. On the Dawn we never had a problem with getting a table for 2 for breakfast lunch or dinner.

However, on both the Diamond and Sapphire when we requested a table for 2 at breakfast or lunch, they tried to seat us with others. We said we'd rather wait for a table for 2 and they sometimes seemed annoyed, but we were accommodated. I guess I could understand this attitude if the dining room was crowded, but ut usually was not. I don't know what would have hapened at dinner on these larger ships because we were traveling with another couple and we had no problem getting a table for 4 each night.

Now DH and I will be traveling on the Diamond and wonder how difficult it will be to get a table for 2 for dinner. Will we need to wait long? Will we need to dine very late - we don't go the shows, so this is an option.

I've read several reviews where people on the Golden were made to feel uncomfortable when asking for a table for 2 at dinner. Does anyone have experience with this (good or bad)?

I just returned from a sailing to Hawaii on the Diamond Princess, and I'm sorry to say that we had the same experiences when we requested a table for two. I also wondered why because there were several open tables in several sections. They did accomodate our wishes the times we made the request and the wait was very short. I think if I had to do it again, I'd talk to the head waiter and see whether there's a better way of getting a table for two without inconveniencing any of the staff, if that was the issue.

Have a great cruise.

AirCruiser44

If you look at the deck plans, you will see on the Diamond that there are very few true tables for two ( I think there may be more on the Dawn), but there are quite a few tables for four that can be split with a small divider. If you don't mind that sort of setup, you should have no problem at dinner when the full room is in use. I don't know how many of those fourtops along the banquet wall are generally set with dividers, but they have to balance the requests for four along with the requests for two. And the dividers do not give much privacy.

Since the entire dining room is not used for breakfast and lunch, it just depends on what section(s) they are using for service as to whether it will be more or less difficult to obtain a twotop at those times. If they only have one or two tables in the open section, and somebody else just sat down, you could have a long wait.

I've just completed my 4th cruise. On all previous cruises there has never been a problem with getting a table for 2. On this last cruise on the Golden we were seated immediately once, were directed to the other dining room which was about to open (because there were no tables for 2 available at that one) and then were seated immediately, and once offered a pager with an expected wait of about 20 minutes. We chose not to wait on that last one and went to the buffet instead.

We never had a problem requesting a table for two on the Crown. If it was really busy we'd choose to eat with others, but no one ever made us feel like we were putting them out. I think the main thing to understand is that there are limited tables for two, and that at peak hours there may be a wait involved.

The longest wait we ever had for a table for 2 was this July on the Crown. It was right after the Captains party in the atrium. As soon as that was over, there was a rush for the dining rooms. We were given a pager and told 30-50 minutes. We went to the International Cafe and had a few drinks. In about 40 minutes the pager went off. I didn't mind the wait. When we are on vacation, we are never in a rush for anything. Also, I hardly am ever hungry on a cruise. How can I being that I stuff my face every hour,lol.

Enjoy,

F

Hi, We just got off the Diamond two days ago , Nov 3rd. We had anytime dining and were able to get a table for two most evenings in the Savoy. But on the evening that it was very busy and we were a bit later than usual we shared a table I think on three occassionson a fifteen day cruise. You might try making a reservation at the dining room of your choice for the time you like for a table for two and see if that helps. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cori

Never a problem here and we always request a table for 2 at dinner. Sure we may have a short wait, usually 10 minutes, so we get the pager and head to a bar for a glass of wine. Not much different than any restaurant in the world really. And we never eat before 7:30, usually after 8.

I have to admit the poster that said they went to the buffet instead of waiting the quoted 20 minutes is kinda over the top. You're on vacation for heavens sake, relax! :D

We always made a dinner reservation, on the Diamond, in the Anytime dining rooms for a table for two and it was always available. This was when they had 4 different menus plus the traditional menu. The dining room you went to decided which menu you received. We saw many people turned away each evening because they did not have reservations. Now that they have changed things I don't know if walking up would result in receiving a table for two.

We were given a table for two at breakfast the first day when we insisted that was what we wanted. They had to use a larger table. That day we were told they do not have tables for two available in the Traditional dining room they were using for Breakfast and Lunch and that in the future we would not be given a table for two. Others had the same experience on that cruise.

on the Diamond Oct. 2006. Our first time with anytime dining and the first night we thought "what had we gotten ourselves into?" They sat us at a "banquet" type table along the side where we sat across from each other and right next to other people. We wanted none of this so we searched the other dining rooms and found a table for two in the Savoy next to a table for four -- better than having a whole string of tables for two. We found that if we made a standing reservation for 8:15 every night, the matre'd usually made sure that the table for four would be vacated shortly after we arrived and didn't place anyone there while we were eating. It worked out great and we loved our waiter/asst.

Having said that, we have returned to traditional late dining -- no more anytime for us. For some it works, we didn't like it. We miss having the same waiter everynight and if you reserve the same table at the same time each night in anytime dining, then you might as well go with traditional.

Just our opinion for what it's worth...

Having said that, we have returned to traditional late dining -- no more anytime for us. For some it works, we didn't like it. We miss having the same waiter everynight and if you reserve the same table at the same time each night in anytime dining, then you might as well go with traditional.

Just our opinion for what it's worth...

Fair enough, except that with anytime you choose your preferred dining time, without the rigidity of traditional. On our last cruise on the Emerald we had a table for 2 with a standing reservation for 6.45. The maitre'd tried hard to get us to reserve much earlier or later but gave in when I stuck to my guns. We were in a row of tables for 2 along one wall but this really did not bother us at all.

When we sailed the Diamond, there was seldom much difficulty getting a table for 2, but it was usually a split table for 4 with other diners practically in our laps. I wasn't wild for this arrangement, but DH absolutely hated it. We looked around the anytime DRs and there a very few separate tables for 2, so we reserved one for the remaining nights and that worked out fine. We lost the flexibility we like with anytime dining, but at least we weren't stuck with a bad table or waiter or tablemates as sometimes can happen with traditional.

I've repeatedly experienced this on HAL, Celebrity and Princess for BREAKFAST and LUNCH. It's probably true on all cruise lines.

It's apparently done to make it more efficient for the servers. The dining rooms are not staffed at the same level for lunch and breakfast as evening.

Therer are obviously fewer tables for two, so you may have a wait for a two top at dinner time on any ship. If that's the case, take the buzzer and enjoy a predinner cocktail.:)

We've been on the Golden, Diamond, Grand and Star - and we've had anytime dinning on all of them, and normally requested a table for 2 and never had a problem. A lot depends on what time you like to eat I guess - some times are busier and the tables fill up. We have had to wait a few minutes at times, and they always offered to seat us at a larger table right away - some times we do, sometimes not - but the wait was never very long.

I have to admit the poster that said they went to the buffet instead of waiting the quoted 20 minutes is kinda over the top. You're on vacation for heavens sake, relax! :D

Not sure why that's over the top, lol, but neither of us was that hungry and just opted to go for a light snack instead of a full dinner. ;)

And ETA: by-the-way, we weren't upset about the wait at all, that was merely to relate the experiences we've had.

I was on the Diamond to Hawaii a while ago, so I hope this will be of some help.

If you don't want to make a reservation and absolutely want to have a table for two with very little waiting time, you should come to the dining room of your choice quite early, which means shortly before or after they open the doors. That was what we did, so we always had a table for two when we wanted it. Sometimes we could even get a table for two next to the window or very close to it in the Santa Fe Dining Room.

I know not everyone is the same, but part of what we like about cruising (and the all-inclusive resorts we go to) is that we sit at big tables where you meet new people!

I can't imagine wanting a table for 2 more than once on a cruise.

That may be because we're together all day every day in our regular lives :p. We don't need any extra "alone time" :D

We just got back from the Diamond. We had early traditional and switched after a couple of days to anytime. We ate at all the restaurants, never had to share a table or wait for a table for two. It was always yes sir, right this way. We generally ate right after the first show. The Savoy had the slowest service of the restaurants, but your right what's the rush? We are on vacation.

Archived