Teeth Whitening

StarryBugg

My friend was approached on the 10/20 Triumphh sailing about being the "Teeth Whitening Model" for the spa orientation thing they do on the first day. He got it done for free. I couldn't necessarily notice a difference but that is probably because his teeth were pretty white and perfect looking when they approached him. (Hence, the reason they most likely approached him in the first place) It was funny watching him get it done and made for some entertaining pics!

Anyone every had the whitening procedure done in the ship's spa? I was wondering how well it worked. TIA!

I had the whitening done on my last cruise. My teeth were not that bad to begin with but it did whiten them up 3-4 shades (out of a possible 16 shades).

What they don't tell you is that to keep them that white, they NEED to sell you a 'maintenance' kit so you can continue to keep them white. I can't remember the specifics about the application but know that it can be costly to keep up the work. I declined to get the maintenance product and within a few days, they were starting to pick up the coloring from food products. I think the maintenance kit helps to keep them protected from staining products.

Anyway, I would not recommend it to anyone. I think it was a waste of money. I could have gotten the same effect using the over the counter strips.

:p

On one cruise I checked into it, early in the cruise as they had a "special". Declined because of the no red wine, coffee etc. No red wine on my vacation!! Anyway, I was then besieged from them wanting to talk me into it! They sometimes called twice per day, leaving messages, and calling until they reached me. I told them no again, and still they presisted. I really had to get quite forceful and told them I felt like I was being stalked! They finally gave up. I wouldn't approach them unless you were really interested.

The old addage, it if it seems too good to be true, it probably is- apply it here.

I am a dental hygienist and on my last cruise on the FOS I read about it. I can't recall the specifics on it now, but I remember when I read it I thought it was a bunch of hooey. Aytime you whiten your teeth with any product, you get instant results (really white and chalky when the chemicals are really strong). That's b/c the chemicals open the pores on your teeth and bleach the tooth from the inside out. It dries out the tooth structure making them appear shades whiter in just one use. Well once your tooth rehydrates, it goes back to a more natural color. When you do the at home treatments, it is such a slow progression, your teeth never dry out fully and the pores close up faster. The reason you can't have red wine/coffee/tea/soda is that the pores are still open for 24-48 hours post whitening. Technically the same rule applies no matter which system you use just to keep from darkening the teeth in between treatments. Some studies have shown nerve damage to teeth after whitening with lasers and lights because they are used in conjunction with really strong chemicals. I would not do anything to my teeth without the supervision of a licensed dental professional.

My husband did the ZOOM whitening treatment a few years ago before there were as many studies on whitening ; he had extreme sensitivity for 3 days and the white faded after a few weeks and he only drinks one cup of coffee a day. I can imagine how disappointed we would have been if we had spent all of that money while on vacation, had that level of discomfort and would not have been able to function normally!

Another thing you should know about whitening. It is not safe to look at the light that is used for whitening-it can damage your retina. Have you ever noticed that at the dentist when they use that light they all wear safety goggles that are tinted orange. Don't watch your friends having this done.

I have also had my teeth whitened with ZOOM and although the results were awesome my teeth were killing me for days so much so that it would have ruined my whole vacation if I had done it while on a cruise instead of at home.

These procedures are best left to dentists and dental hygienists.

Archived