Ship Naming/Dedication Speech Suggestions

purplenorway

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who knows about cruise ship naming/dedication ceremonies. I’m taking a speech class right now and my next assignment is a ceremonial speech, so I would like to do a speech from the perspective of a cruise ship’s godmother. Fun, huh? :)

So far, I am planning on talking about HAL’s role with immigrants and I will pretend that my ship is the “ms Potsdam” because I can tie that into my heritage (my great-grandmother immigrated to the U.S. on the ss Potsdam). I think I will also cover some hopes for the ship’s days at sea, passenger enjoyment, etc.

If you’ve been to a naming/dedication ceremony, do you remember anything specific that the godmother mentioned in a speech? Or, if you’ve never been to a ceremony in person, what would you enjoy hearing about in the godmother’s speech?

Becky -

I wish you the best of luck with this - I know there are a few people here who would be able (and more than happy!) to help you. I'd love to "see" your finished product!

Do you mind if I forward your email address on to someone who might be of help?

John and Laura are being very discreet and I appreciate it. :)

They seem to be leaving it up to me whether to say something or not. ;)

DH and I were honored to be a part of Noordam's Dedication/Naming in New York February 2006. We were (are) Noordam's Mariner's Ambassadors and as such Blessed Noordam's Bell at her Naming/Dedication Ceremony with Captain John Scott.

I posted a very long series of messages describing our amazing experience. If you wish, I could look for a link to it to e-mail you or I could post it here if you wish.

What a fun assignment. You could really have a good time with your chosen subject. Good Luck. Maybe you'll post a written copy after you have finished it?

Sail -

Guilty here!! I knew you attended Noordam's and I thought you posted recaps of the event.

We met Becky and her parents on our Oosterdam cruise and I was so impressed with the work she did for our CC group (during finals, no less!), plus she is a sweetie - so I'm hoping there are folks here who can help her! :)

In my notes I posted here about the Dedication, I think I probably commented about Marlee Matlin's (Godmother) speech. I have a clear memory of her speaking of her family immigrating to America on a ship. Her speech was excellent and, of course, she signed it while her interpretor spoke.

I'm happy to help Becky if I can. Sounds like a really fun assignment she is doing.

Hi Sail. I'm guessing you are referring to your "We thought we knew HAL" thread. I read through it last week to get some ideas and very much enjoyed it! I can only imagine how fun it must have been to be Mariner Ambassadors! Perhaps I should say "fair winds and a following sea" at the end of my speech?

I wonder if I can somehow make a Powerpoint presentaion with a champagne bottle smashing against a ship. Even better it if could be altered to say "Potsdam".

Post my speech? I guess it depends on how good the grade is. ;)

Fair winds and a following sea....... Always!

Glad you enjoyed the thread.

I haven't seen it in ages......Do I recall correctly that Marlee Matlin made reference to her family immigrating to America on an HAL ship?

I found where Sail wrote,

"Marlee Matlin's comments included mention of the fact that Holland America Line ships brought more immigrants to the new world than any other line. She told of her Grandmother who sailed from Poland to America in 1929. She then commented that Noordam would sail shortly on her Maiden Voyage carrying guests who would experience other cultures, new people....how this travel promotes understanding and enriches communication. She, of course, made reference that she knows first hand how important it is to transcend communication barriers."

So that seems to fit with what I had in mind. I think I may be on the right track. Hopefully someday I can see a ceremony like this in person!

Thanks for reminding me, Becky.

You can see a Dedication. In July, HAL will Dedicate/Name their next ship in Rotterdam. A large group of us from CC are booked to travel to Holland to sail Eurodam's Prelude and Maiden voyages.

Book the cruise. Join us.

Becky, not sure if you need some background info on HAL's one and only s/s Potsdam but here it goes (press delete if you want)

s/s Potsdam (1900-1915) (with thanks to Capt. Schoonderbeek)

Constructed of steel with three full decks as a pasenger ship with a considerable cargo capacity (12,969 tons in seven cargo holds). Could be rigged as a schooner with six boom sails on two masts. The first ship in HAL history to be ordered from and built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg in Germany. Two months afer being ordered, two almost identical ships were ordered from Harland & Wolff in Belfast, Northern Ireland, namely Ryndam I and Noordam I. Potsdam's keel was laid on May 4th, 1899 with building number 139. The hull was launched on on 15 December 1899. Exactly one year and one day after the hull was launched, the first official trial run took place on May 5, 1900.

Potsdam had room for 282 First, 208 Second and 2,000 Third Class passengers. A larger version of Statendam I and nick-named "Pipe" or "Funneldam" because of the enormous funnel she carried. Shortly after entering service, the already considerable smokestack was lengthened by seven meters (23 feet) to increase the furnace draft of her boilers/coal furnaces. She was the biggest ship under Dutch flag until the arrival of Nieuw Amsterdam in 1906. There were four double and three single cylindrical kettles with thirty three fires. These produced electricity fot two triple expansion machines.

The ship's name was especially chosen so that the passengers, especially the steerage group which were predominantly East European imigrants, would have a greater afinity with the ship. (Potsdam was named after a German city on the outskirts of Berlin).

Commenced her maiden voyage with a first departure from Rotterdam on 17 May 1900, sailing to New York. This voyage was not a success. During the spring storms on the Atlantic, it was discovered that the upper deck did not handle these storms well.

Sold on 2 December 1915 for 3,000.000 guilders to the Sverige Amerika Linje of Gothenburg, Sweden (their first ship) and renamed Stockholm. Stockholm departed on her first voyage on 11 December 1915 from Gothenburg to New York. Converted in 1922 to burning fuel oil and the length of the funnel was reduced. Laid up in May 1917 because of the unrestricted submarine war until June 1918. Sailed later in a charter for the U.S. government for repatriating troops from Europe.

Sold in November 1918 to C. Nielsen & Company of New York and rebuilt into a whale factory ship at the Gotaverken yard in Gothenberg and renamed Solglimt. On 12 September 1929 the ship departed for her first trip as a whaler. Sold in 1930 to A/S Odde, A/S Thor Dahhl of Sandefjord. Same name.

Stopped on 14 January 1944 by the German raider Pinguin in the South Arctic Sea and brought to Geman occupied Bordeaux, France. Renamed Sonderburg and registered for the Erster Deutsche Wahlfang Gesellschaft (First German Whaling Company) the ship was the target of allied air raids. Sunk/scuttled on 15 June 1944 by the Germans at Cherbourg, France during the retreat. Raised in 1945 and returned to owner. Now registered for the Bryde & Dahls Hvalfangerselskap Sandefjord (Thor Dahl). Did not sail anymore but was sold for scrap to England in January 1947.

I gave my speech today and I'd say it went well. If you want to read it, let me know and I will email you a copy. It was an enjoyable topic and I had fun being creative! I was even able to animate a champagne bottle in my Powerpoint presentation! Here is a photo of the Potsdam (it is really one of my pictures of the Noordam) and a photo of it after it was christened. ;)

PotsdamChristening.jpg

Fireworks.jpg

Becky - I'd love to read it!

Can you please send it to me? That said, you might even want to post it here.

I'm sorry I never sent your email address to the poster we discussed here. Please know the fault was mine not hers, she was willing to help further if need be... We had something happen in our family that took most all my effort and concentration the past few days, - but I'm sorry I didn't get that done for you.

BTW - the "Potsdam" looks great! I hope you got an A++++ on the project! :)

Thanks everyone! Yes, wouldn't it be neat if Eurodam's sister would be Potsdam. I would definitely have to make that inaugural! My speech had to be under five minutes, but I could certainly expand on it if they were in need of a speaker or speechwriter. :rolleyes: Oh, alright, you have convinced me to post it.

Martha Stewart, Queen Elizabeth, Whoopi Goldberg, and the Olsen Twins all have something in common- they are godmothers of cruise ships. Imagine my surprise when I was asked to be godmother of this glorious ship, the ms Potsdam. I’m not royalty; I’m not a celebrity; I’m simply a loyal passenger of Holland America Line. Thank you for choosing me for this great honor.

I would like to welcome you, Holland America Line employees, passengers, travel agents, and friends, to Rotterdam, the Netherlands where we have to opportunity to christen this new ship.

This ship was built with the work of designers, engineers, welders, and countless others. It is an accomplishment that will sail people around the world.

This ship will join the Holland America fleet as the essence of the tradition and signature of excellence the company is known for.

Holland America has a history rich in tradition. Not every cruise line can say they have been around for 130 years.

The line played a key role in immigration. From the late 1800s to the 1920s Holland America Line ships brought 850,000 immigrants to the Americas. My great-grandmother was one of them. In March of 1904 she made the Atlantic crossing from Rotterdam to Ellis Island. The ship was the ss Potsdam I. Here I am today, in Rotterdam’s harbor at the dedication of the Potsdam II. The name of this ship is special to me.

Holland America has kept its tradition in choosing names for its ships. By using the ending “dam”, ships’ names reflect their heritage. Most names are Dutch, but when the first Potsdam was launched in 1900, the name was chosen so East European immigrants in steerage would be able to relate to the name. Potsdam was named after a German city outside of Berlin.

I think we can see that the new Potsdam is different than the original Potsdam. The original Potsdam was over 12,000 tons, the new is over 86,000 tons. The original Potsdam was nick-named "Pipe" or "Funneldam" because of the enormous funnel it had. After the ship was launched, the smokestack was made even taller, by 23 feet, to increase speed. The new Potsdam has two elegant smokestacks and has been designed with the newest ocean liner technology.

The new Potsdam has five restaurants, three pools, a three story show lounge, and a million dollar art collection. Her passengers will be surrounded by beauty of this ship as well as of the seas.

Holland America’s slogan is “a signature of excellence”. Each employee offers their own signature. Whether it be in the dining room or the engine room, the front office or the Seattle office. A smile and a commitment to give a guest the best possible cruise experience go a long way. That is why Holland America is the highest rated premium cruise line.

As godmother of this ship, it is my hope that she will uphold the tradition and the signature of excellence. It is my hope she will bring passengers to new cultures, experiences, relaxation, and luxury. It is my hope that her passengers will discover what is special about cruising as I have discovered.

May her passengers explore interesting ports of call. May her passengers enjoy meeting new people. May her passengers stare out at a sea containing every shade of blue imaginable.

I wish this ship fair winds and a following sea.

On behalf of Holland America Line, those who built this ship, and those who will sail it, I christen the ms Potsdam.

Archived