Audio Books

LynnAB

Not his best, IMHO but I did enjoy it. I would say it would near the edge knowing your likes or more appropriately dis-likes.

Well, Jim ... I finished listening to the book and really did enjoy it, believe it or not. It touched on a lot of my thoughts since losing my mother, and actually it was "good" in a way. That doesn't mean I didn't cry ... I did cry as I was driving along. It really got to me, but I thought the author handled the subject very well. All in all, it was an extremely different kind of read/listening experience for me.

Well, Jim ... I finished listening to the book and really did enjoy it, believe it or not. It touched on a lot of my thoughts since losing my mother, and actually it was "good" in a way. That doesn't mean I didn't cry ... I did cry as I was driving along. It really got to me, but I thought the author handled the subject very well. All in all, it was an extremely different kind of read/listening experience for me.

Gad you enjoyed it. Mitch Albom books always make you cry a little but uplifting as well (at least I think so). The same could be said for any Nicholas Sparks book.

Gad you enjoyed it. Mitch Albom books always make you cry a little but uplifting as well (at least I think so). The same could be said for any Nicholas Sparks book.

I agree, Jim. That is the perfect way to describe what I just finished. I cried, but I found the book uplifting, too. I think my next book is going to be The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Ooh. I forgot about Nicholas Sparks. I have a few of his I still haven't listened to, too. I definitely need to start on those, too. Thanks!

Lynn

I agree, Jim. That is the perfect way to describe what I just finished. I cried, but I found the book uplifting, too. I think my next book is going to be The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Ooh. I forgot about Nicholas Sparks. I have a few of his I still haven't listened to, too. I definitely need to start on those, too. Thanks!

Lynn

The other one (and 1st I believe) is Tuesday's with Morrie a true story about his college professor. Real and again sad but very uplifting. His old college professor come sin contact with him as he (the professor) is dying. Extremely good.

Spark's best two IMHO go together. True Believer and At First Sight, Real tear jerkers but good books, both read by David Aaron Baker. Must be read (or listened to) in order.

Okay. We're on the same wave length <g>. I just put both of those on my Cowon a few minutes ago ... and then happened to come on here and saw your message!!!

Okay. We're on the same wave length <g>. I just put both of those on my Cowon a few minutes ago ... and then happened to come on here and saw your message!!!

Wow, that is weird. Make sure you read in order. You will enjoy them.

You will love the Queen Mary!! We stayed there years ago and loved it. I hear that check-in is easier if you stay the night at the Queen Mary.

You know of any good places to eat the night we are staying there? We have been discussing that lately and would enjoy something local that was good.

Wow, that is weird. Make sure you read in order. You will enjoy them.

Thanks I will. I'm going to listen to The Five People You Meet in Heaven first, but they're all on my Cowon now.

Is the Queen Mary the ship that was docked in Long Beach back in the 80s? If so, I toured it back then. What fun to be able to STAY there. Ooooh, I would so love to do that.

Thanks I will. I'm going to listen to The Five People You Meet in Heaven first, but they're all on my Cowon now.

Is the Queen Mary the ship that was docked in Long Beach back in the 80s? If so, I toured it back then. What fun to be able to STAY there. Ooooh, I would so love to do that.

It is one and the same. It will certainly be different. We have some people in our group who are really into staying there and we all said OK. Believe it or not they want to go there for two reason. One to stay on a cruise ship from 80 years a go to compare and 2 because they saw it on some haunting show.

Also, since you know the time frame (my 1st time seeing her as well, btw...think it was 85), the check in area for the cruise is the old hanger where they used to have the Spruce Goose.

It is one and the same. It will certainly be different. We have some people in our group who are really into staying there and we all said OK. Believe it or not they want to go there for two reason. One to stay on a cruise ship from 80 years a go to compare and 2 because they saw it on some haunting show.

Also, since you know the time frame (my 1st time seeing her as well, btw...think it was 85), the check in area for the cruise is the old hanger where they used to have the Spruce Goose.

Wow, that will be interesting. When I went on the Queen Mary to see it, there was a big party of some sort going on. I think it was 1979 or 1980 at the latest. Your friends will be amazed at how different cruise ships were. I remember all the polished wood and darker colors. That stands out in my mind. It was very elegant!

Wow, that will be interesting. When I went on the Queen Mary to see it, there was a big party of some sort going on. I think it was 1979 or 1980 at the latest. Your friends will be amazed at how different cruise ships were. I remember all the polished wood and darker colors. That stands out in my mind. It was very elegant!

They even have tours ($$) taking you around and showing you the ship (or you can just discover by yourself). Did you go on one of these? 1st time I saw her I had a drink in the bar and that was all. Will let you know my thoughts afterward we get back.

They even have tours ($$) taking you around and showing you the ship (or you can just discover by yourself). Did you go on one of these? 1st time I saw her I had a drink in the bar and that was all. Will let you know my thoughts afterward we get back.

As far as I remember <g>, we just saw the main area.

A ship that I did tour was the Queen Elizabeth when it was docked at Port Everglades, Florida. That was right before it went to Hong Kong and caught fire and burned. The interesting part, if you read about it, is that she was having electrical problems in Florida and then headed toward Hong Kong. The electrical system caught fire, and that was the end of the Queen Mary.

The MOST interesting part was that my parents and I had just moved to Florida. We saw there were going to be tours of the Queen Mary, so we drove to the port. When we got on the ship, all the lights went out and they took us on the tour of the whole ship by FLASHLIGHT. It was amazing ..... and EERIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can still remember looking into the dark, wood-paneled staterooms. What a WEIRD experience but one I'll always remember. That ship should NOT have left Florida with the messed up electrical system.

As far as I remember <g>, we just saw the main area.

A ship that I did tour was the Queen Elizabeth when it was docked at Port Everglades, Florida. That was right before it went to Hong Kong and caught fire and burned. The interesting part, if you read about it, is that she was having electrical problems in Florida and then headed toward Hong Kong. The electrical system caught fire, and that was the end of the Queen Mary.

The MOST interesting part was that my parents and I had just moved to Florida. We saw there were going to be tours of the Queen Mary, so we drove to the port. When we got on the ship, all the lights went out and they took us on the tour of the whole ship by FLASHLIGHT. It was amazing ..... and EERIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can still remember looking into the dark, wood-paneled staterooms. What a WEIRD experience but one I'll always remember. That ship should NOT have left Florida with the messed up electrical system.

I do not even remember there being a fire on the QE. Did anyone get hurt?

I do not even remember there being a fire on the QE. Did anyone get hurt?

From what I've read, nobody died ... and whatever was left of the ship was used in the movie The Man With the Golden Gun. I haven't seen that movie, so I don't know how it was used. I'm guessing maybe underwater?

From what I've read, nobody died ... and whatever was left of the ship was used in the movie The Man With the Golden Gun. I haven't seen that movie, so I don't know how it was used. I'm guessing maybe underwater?

The James Bond movie. Think I have those on DVR cable this month. I will check it out.

The James Bond movie. Think I have those on DVR cable this month. I will check it out.

Yes. If you see a sunken ship or part of a hull or something strange looking, that is probably it. Please let me know <g>.

Just finished listening to another Richard Paul Evans book Grace. Very good, another tear jerker.

Happy Friday, Jim!

Well, since I'm in a tearjerker mood lately (but NOT in a bad way), I'll have to put Richard Paul Evans into my queue to listen to, too. I forgot about him! I remember falling apart at The Christmas Box a few years ago, but I think I can handle his books a BIT better now. Yeah, right <g>.

A friend of mine recommended Dorothea Benton Frank's southern series, but I haven't tried any of them yet. I'm sure they're very woman-ish, so I'm not recommending them to you. I'm just talking about loud here <g>.

Well, I'm off to work for a while ... so I can listen to The Five People You Meet in Heaven some more. You "read" that one, right?

Happy Friday, Jim!

Well, since I'm in a tearjerker mood lately (but NOT in a bad way), I'll have to put Richard Paul Evans into my queue to listen to, too. I forgot about him! I remember falling apart at The Christmas Box a few years ago, but I think I can handle his books a BIT better now. Yeah, right <g>.

A friend of mine recommended Dorothea Benton Frank's southern series, but I haven't tried any of them yet. I'm sure they're very woman-ish, so I'm not recommending them to you. I'm just talking about loud here <g>.

Well, I'm off to work for a while ... so I can listen to The Five People You Meet in Heaven some more. You "read" that one, right?

Yes, I did. Think you will enjoy it.

Yes, I did. Think you will enjoy it.

I am enjoying it, although it's different than what I imagined it would be like. I'm curious to see how the story progresses since I'm only up to the second person Eddie meets.

It's funny ... I'm sooooo hooked on my Kindle AND my audio books that I don't "like" book books anymore. I always try to find a book to read on Kindle or to listen to on my Cowon. Weird, huh?

Jim,

Even though I used to work near there I'm not real familiar with all of the restaurants in the area. I like the Rock Bottom Brewery but their are a lot of chain type restaurants like P.F. Changs, Bubba Gumps and such that aren't too far from there. We ate on the Queen Mary and had a great meal I'm just not sure how expensive it is. You could also try Shoreline village they have a number of restaurants. There is a great breakfast place in San Pedro, the Pacific Diner, they have beef strogonoff omlets on the weekend, but I don't know if you have the time to get there and back.

Jim,

Even though I used to work near there I'm not real familiar with all of the restaurants in the area. I like the Rock Bottom Brewery but their are a lot of chain type restaurants like P.F. Changs, Bubba Gumps and such that aren't too far from there. We ate on the Queen Mary and had a great meal I'm just not sure how expensive it is. You could also try Shoreline village they have a number of restaurants. There is a great breakfast place in San Pedro, the Pacific Diner, they have beef strogonoff omlets on the weekend, but I don't know if you have the time to get there and back.

Thanks for the ideas. I will offer them to the group. Dinner and breakfast everyone is fending for themselves so ideas are grat. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Jim,

I just started listening to True Believer (Nicholas Sparks) in the car yesterday. I like it already!

I'm trying to READ the Oprah give-away, Let The Great World Spin. I know it has GREAT reviews, but so far it's just "not me." We'll see.

I just finished READING A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I loved, loved, loved. I know I'll want to re-read it some day, but now I'm thinking about LISTENING to it one of these days as well for a different perspective. No wonder that book is a classic!

How are YOU doing? Have a GREAT Friday.

Lynn