Pay now and forever hold our suite?

JeanfromBNA

We are planning to cruise Alaska in September 08 (first cruise). Since we're looking at a Celebrity Suite, should we book now, and watch for a price decrease? It seems that prices have increased $500 since July, so I'm concerned that we won't be able to get the CS, or the price will go up. Will we be able to get a discount if the price of the CS goes down? If the category shows as "not available" in the future, how will we know?

Are sales prevalent in January? Should we wait until then? It seems like prices on every online agency are the same as Celebrity's website.

Should we use a AAA TA? :confused:

Yes. Book now. With your deposit, you protect yourself against increases, and yet if you see a decrease prior to final payment date, you can get a reduction. In fact, on my currently booked crusie (Century TA 12-3-07), Celebrity reduced our fare by $520.00 AFTER the final payment date.

Harris

i always book when i see a good cruise if it goes down they will credit it...i have never had problems... i have had my TA for DEC 2008 booked since july of 2007... got a great price... suites are already sold out for my cruise.. and price went up 700 since i paid for a suite...so i think that was a good thing

Tonia

Book it, before the cost goes up OR you miss out completely.

Suites don't often get discounted because they don't have a problem selling them. They are actually the first categories to sell out. If you can't get a current price it's because none are available. There just aren't that many so they sell out without discounting them. Regular cabins, when they aren't selling, get discounted. Don't plan on getting a reduced price for a suite.

The prices you find online will always be the same as the X website. X stopped allowing agencies to discount their fares. Whether to book through a TA or directly with X is a personal decision... there are pros and cons to both ways. Some TA will kick back part of their commission as an OBC or pay for airfare (ways of "discounting" without changing the fare listed) but I've read that X may start cracking down on that practice as well.

Some TA will kick back part of their commission as an OBC or pay for airfare (ways of "discounting" without changing the fare listed) but I've read that X may start cracking down on that practice as well.

:( Yep....Crystal already came out with a ''stiff penalty'' policy and it's a very safe bet everybody else will follow. Generally, RCI is among the more severe in enforcing new crackdowns and you can look for them to be next with the ''stiff penalty'' process.

Cheers

;)

Yes. Book now. With your deposit, you protect yourself against increases, and yet if you see a decrease prior to final payment date, you can get a reduction. In fact, on my currently booked crusie (Century TA 12-3-07), Celebrity reduced our fare by $520.00 AFTER the final payment date.

Harris

Right....besides, any deposit is always fully refundable until approx 75 days out when final payment is due and the deposit becomes non-ref.

Whatever price one books at, at whatever time from the day the itinerary opens up for sale,is adjustable when it drops; meanwhile, folks get the cabin they want, and generally rates are at their best right off the gate, so to speak....specially for suites.

Cheers

;)

Harris

Wow, Celebrity gives you credit aftr final payment!!! I have never heard of that. I suppose it would be harder to get through a TA, since their commision was already paid.

Wow, Celebrity gives you credit after final payment!!! I have never heard of that. I suppose it would be harder to get through a TA, since their commission was already paid.

Actually, from reports of all who got the credit, it was easier with a TA.

I'm not sure why Celebrity did this, since the contract makes it fairly clear that after final payment you're locked in. Additionally, the lower fare that was posted was for a GTY, yet they matched the price for us, and let us keep our booked room. They have done this for all on this cruise who asked according to other Cruise Critic postings.

Harris

Jean, I recently put together a family and friends cruise for 1-09 and used a TA. Both my daughters and their families were able to get corner family cabins on the panorama deck. They go real fast and the TA said if they go down in price she'll be VERY surprised.

Barry

Archived