Fuel surcharges

Keats

The TA site that I've been looking at for ship info lists it as capacity. I guess they are wrongly listing their info. It sounds like it should be listed as double occupancy? Oh well, I've wondered about TA sites ever since I stayed in a category of cabin that a TA site didn't show as existing on that ship........

Keats said...

"I know that oil went up and that the cost to fuel the ship is more, but you've got to realize that the cruise lines buy fuel @ set contract prices a year or more in advance. Just like airlines and trucking companies."

Yep and those contracts just let up. Remember about a year or so ago we had a spike in oil prices. So those hedged contracts have expired so the cruise lines are dealing with a new reality.

Our local electrical company had some of the lowest rates in the country (for a non hydro-facility) for many years but two years ago they started to raise rates because their hedge contracts started to running out.

While I may not particularly like it, you can only play the game so far.

Keats said...

"I know that oil went up and that the cost to fuel the ship is more, but you've got to realize that the cruise lines buy fuel @ set contract prices a year or more in advance. Just like airlines and trucking companies."

Yep and those contracts just let up. Remember about a year or so ago we had a spike in oil prices. So those hedged contracts have expired so the cruise lines are dealing with a new reality.

More specifically, fuel prices were down below $70 a barrel between April and November of last year, so with the expiration of those contracts, fuel prices have effectively increased 30% overnight.

I was quoted a price for a cruise on Princess and the price was good. I gave the agent an O.K. ( both by phone and E. Mail ) after thoroughly going over everything possible. The cruise was booked and a cabin assigned and a booking number obtained and now I just received an E. Mail from the agency that I'd have to pay an additional $5.00 PP Per Day for a fuel surcharge.

That adds another $140.00 to our cruise. None of the other agents I had spoken with prior to booking this cruise ever mentioned a fuel surcharge. Not even the Princess representative we met at a "Cruise Show" at one of the agencies. Has anyone else heard of this and is it legit?

Keats:confused:

And if you're Canadian, Princesses Exchange rate brings that surcharge to $40.25, when it should be @ $32.00-33.00. My BIL talked to Princess last night.

And if you're Canadian, Princesses Exchange rate brings that surcharge to $40.25, when it should be @ $32.00-33.00. My BIL talked to Princess last night.

not really....it is not "if you're Canadian"....it is "if you booked your cruise in Canadian dollars".....lots of Canadian book and pay in US dollars.

not really....it is not "if you're Canadian"....it is "if you booked your cruise in Canadian dollars".....lots of Canadian book and pay in US dollars.

On all the web sites now across the border all the rates are quoted to Canadians in Canadian Dollars....I wish they did show the USA rates.

The only way we can book in USA rates now is verbally.....I don't like that myself I like to look around the different sites for different rates.I was suprised even a big agency in the USA that used to quote in $ US.

On all the web sites now across the border all the rates are quoted to Canadians in Canadian Dollars....I wish they did show the USA rates.

The only way we can book in USA rates now is verbally.....I don't like that myself I like to look around the different sites for different rates.I was suprised even a big agency in the USA that used to quote in $ US.

sorry, but that is not the case...go to any online TA...use their search engine..find the cruise,...fill in a "US" airport or "State" and you get your quotes in US funds.

If you want to book it, then phone them or email them to book in US funds....easy to do.

I just did it this morning, and early this afternoon....

Thank you for pointing that out. We've been warning people for months not to pay in Canadian and how to get around it and this horse keeps getting flogged.

How do you come up with this stuff? I haven't seen any of the big online agencies quote in Canadian unless you're changing the .COM to .CA. The one I book through won't touch anything in Canadian. It's always been in US.

How do you come up with this stuff? I haven't seen any of the big online agencies quote in Canadian unless you're changing the .COM to .CA. The one I book through won't touch anything in Canadian. It's always been in US.

The one I looked at has the same initials as Cruise Critic...They quoted in Canadian funds......I was suprised it has always been USA before!!!!I did put in Vancouver though for air.

I will try as Chrysalis said and put in LAX and see what happens....Maybe they don't book Canadian Air in US$

The one I looked at has the same initials as Cruise Critic...They quoted in Canadian funds......I was suprised it has always been USA before!!!!I did put in Vancouver though for air.

I will try as Chrysalis said and put in LAX and see what happens....Maybe they don't book Canadian Air in US$

It's the air that's getting you. Book your own.

Am I the only one from Canada that books my cruise with a US-based TA, pays for the cruise in US funds, and gets Princess air from Canada to my cruise (when required) and pays for it in US funds??

With regard to the implimentation of this fuel surcharge, I feel Princess has made an error in judgement and should reverse this surcharge to passengers who are currently on deposit, or have paid in full. Even though it states that fares are subject to change (not clearly stated that fuel surcharges are) in the fine print, this tactic comes off as a bit "bait and switch" in my mind. I feel that people who have commited to booking in advance with Princess should be exempt from this surcharge, Princess is getting interest on the early deposit money for heaven sakes.

People are already a bit weary of being nickel and dimed once they get onboard.....but now it's happening even before you leave the port!

I say increase the fare for all new bookings, but show those who have booked early some consideration.

Jim

Fiar enough. I based it on two to a cabin.

It's still a lot of change....

Keats:cool:

I do not like it either-I find it bad business-do it on FUTURE bookings-but at least you are within the time frame to cancel and get a full refund.

Charging $5 extra a day isn't a whole lot of money, considering what we're paying to fill our vehicles now a days. :eek: Look at where your traveling on the charge....Can't do that in a car now can we? :rolleyes:

Would you rather had Princess increase the fares without saying a word about the fuel surcharge? Would that make it any easier?

Am I the only one from Canada that books my cruise with a US-based TA, pays for the cruise in US funds, and gets Princess air from Canada to my cruise (when required) and pays for it in US funds??

I always book in US prices. Where it asks you if your from Canada/Us I always put Washington. that's closest to us. That gives me the US pricing. If I decide to purchase, then I fill in all the lines and use my Canadian address. Never had a problem. We always book our own flights unless it's a "pkg" deal.

No, there's at least two of us :) I made final payment today, $1,669 US = $1,575 Cdn. LOVE IT!!

With regard to the implimentation of this fuel surcharge, I feel Princess has made an error in judgement and should reverse this surcharge to passengers who are currently on deposit, or have paid in full. Even though it states that fares are subject to change (not clearly stated that fuel surcharges are) in the fine print, this tactic comes off as a bit "bait and switch" in my mind. I feel that people who have commited to booking in advance with Princess should be exempt from this surcharge, Princess is getting interest on the early deposit money for heaven sakes.

People are already a bit weary of being nickel and dimed once they get onboard.....but now it's happening even before you leave the port!

I say increase the fare for all new bookings, but show those who have booked early some consideration.

Jim

We shouldn't be blaming Princess. This was a Carnival decision that they implemented across all of the lines that they own. Princess didn't have a say in this.

Jim

Voice your concerns to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

The more that do might make a difference,

I e-mailed them my concerns and they did reply wonting details.......Thats a start.

In my mind I would like a fair deal for everyone of Princesses customers wherever they live in this world of ours............PAX........Heather:) :cool:

I understand that they have to charge more for fuel due to the cost of oil, what I object to is passing this on to passengers that have already booked & made deposits. I still have not been able to read in Princess contract where it says due to fuel costs you will be charged additional monies.

Well, that cuts both ways. Do we really want them to hold back our ability to book cruises until a few months prior, just so we won't be subject to surcharges? Think about it: That's what Southwest Airlines does. They hold back their flight schedules until five months prior, in part so they can be sure that their pricing and schedules capitalize best on customer demand, which is far easier to forecast accurately 5 months prior rather than 11 months prior or 18 months prior. Some major destination resorts allow guests to book very early but do not quote them a price until 6-12 months prior to the trip, so that prices can be better aligned with the state of things at the time the service is offered.

Archived