My teen girls

Ronrocks!

Hi Ronrocks,

We were on a Princess cruise for the holidays last December, and both of my sons (12 and 16) wore suits on formal nights. Most people dressed up, young and old. At first my kids didn't want anything to do with dressing up, then I showed them some pictures from the Cruise Critic photo gallery. When they saw that people really do dress up they were fine with it.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179636

This has been my observation of what girls wear on cruises... I don't have girls but I do have two boys (who also notice these things):

Day time is quite casual... short skirts, shorts, t's, tanks, halters, b'suits, flip flops.

For dinner the girls seem to wear longer skirts with cute tops or sun dresses, and on formal nights they look like they're going to the prom. LOTS of flip flops. Even at night. The teens usually change out of their dinner clothes into something more casual for hanging with other kids at night.

I agree with Mecruzr. My girls wear bathing suits or short & tanks during the day, skirts and pretty tops for dinner and then back to shorts & tanks at night. Lots of flipflops for sure - fancy ones at dinner LOL. As for formal night my oldest dressed "prom like" :rolleyes: but my other 2 just wore fancy dresses which they couldn't wait to rip off so they could go play "midnight gaga ball"!

Let them be comfortable. As I'm sure you know, sometimes it's just not worth the argument! ;)

~Connie

I agree with Mecruzr. My girls wear bathing suits or short & tanks during the day, skirts and pretty tops for dinner and then back to shorts & tanks at night. Lots of flipflops for sure - fancy ones at dinner LOL. As for formal night my oldest dressed "prom like" :rolleyes: but my other 2 just wore fancy dresses which they couldn't wait to rip off so they could go play "midnight gaga ball"!

Let them be comfortable. As I'm sure you know, sometimes it's just not worth the argument! ;)

~Connie

Im not going to make them go to formal night... Id prefer to enjoy myself! I was thinking about the teen clubs and dinners. We did sit online tonight and pick out some sundresses and actually they got pretty excited and found some more "formal" dresses. Never having been on a cruise myself.. I wasnt sure.. and dont want them to get there and feel out of place.

At the risk of being branded old school, exactly who is running the household MOM? If you feel they should dress up for dinner, end of discussion.

No not "old school" just different parenting.... I was raised with free will and choose to give my daughters the same liberty.

All my 15 and 17 year old girls want to wear are casual clothes on the cruise. I think they need something nicer for dinners and the teen clubs.

What do teen girls usually wear on the cruise?

Thanks

I've never known a teenaged girl turn down shopping trips - try BCBG girls, Bebe, etc for some cute glittery tops. They work great with a more casual pant or skirt and can be quickly changed or mixed-up with jeans according to the situation. My girl brought a lot of seperates and after watching what the other kids were wearing she came up with many different combos that I would have never thought of. The dresses are so cute this year also, and can be dressed down with a cute denim jacket or a pair of leggings for the after-dinner activities.

Im not going to make them go to formal night... Id prefer to enjoy myself! I was thinking about the teen clubs and dinners. We did sit online tonight and pick out some sundresses and actually they got pretty excited and found some more "formal" dresses. Never having been on a cruise myself.. I wasnt sure.. and dont want them to get there and feel out of place.

Their new Friends will be going to formal night so I'm sure they'll also want to go. Have them find a fun prom dress on eBay so if they do decide not to go, you will not be out much money. I'm willing to bet money that they will end up at formal night and feel out of place if they aren't in formals.

I've never known a teenaged girl turn down shopping trips - try BCBG girls, Bebe, etc for some cute glittery tops. They work great with a more casual pant or skirt and can be quickly changed or mixed-up with jeans according to the situation. My girl brought a lot of seperates and after watching what the other kids were wearing she came up with many different combos that I would have never thought of. The dresses are so cute this year also, and can be dressed down with a cute denim jacket or a pair of leggings for the after-dinner activities.

As the mother of a 15 year old girl, this is exactly what I was thinking!

My daughter lives in her jeans, most of the time. But she also likes to wear leggings with tunic tops and dresses at times. She adores shopping and it's probably the last thing we have in common (at the moment).

So, don't think your girls won't rise to the occasion, they will be happy they did when they see the other teen girls and boys onboard dressed nicely. BTW, my daughter will not wear long dresses to formal nights, I don't get my britches in a wad over it. There are plenty of girls who wear prom style or homecoming style shorter dresses on those evenings.

I agree, ks. I cruised with a group of teen girls just this age, and they wouldn't have missed formal night for the world. None of the girls in our group wore floor-length (although they certainly could have if they wanted). They went more for the "party" look, at the knee. They were adorable and they had a blast.

To the OP: You can get formal fashions at Ross really cheap. And Macys has fantastic sales on formalwear.

4merlurker: You're right about formal flip-flops. My DD wore leather flip-flops with her chiffon-y dress. The straps were covered with glitter that exactly matched the dress color. They were festive and she was comfortable, and that was good enough for us!

Archived