Fuel Supplement announced (4 merged threads)

xeena

Has anyone seen this on Celebrity's website?

For Europe, the Middle East and Africa bookings, the fuel supplement applies to new bookings made on or after 10 December 2007, for sailings that depart on or after February 1, 2008. The amount of the supplement per guest per day appears in the left hand column of the table below and the maximum amount of the fuel supplement per guest per sailing appears in the right hand column. The supplement only applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom.

Supplement per guest per dayMaximum per guest per sailingGBP 2.50GBP 35.00EUR 3.50EUR 49.00USD 5.00USD 70.00CHF 5.50CHF 77.00DKK 25.50DKK 357.00SEK 32.00SEK 448.00NOK 27.00NOK 378.00

Travel Agents are encouraged to visit the CruisingPower website.for further details and information on how the fuel supplement applies to group bookings.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I would bring this thread back from the depths because of Wed.'s announcement that RCL has experienced record 4th quarter profits. Does anyone else have an issue with paying a supposed surcharge to offset high fuel costs when profits are at a all time high? The fuel surcharge is what it is, using current world events to make a cash grab direct to the bottom line.

I thought I would bring this thread back from the depths because of Wed.'s announcement that RCL has experienced record 4th quarter profits. Does anyone else have an issue with paying a supposed surcharge to offset high fuel costs when profits are at a all time high? The fuel surcharge is what it is, using current world events to make a cash grab direct to the bottom line.

I think it is possible that the current cost of fuel is not reflected in their 4th quarter profits because they may have been locked into a rate for that period of time that was determined before prices for fuel surged.

Since I live in the Northeast in a home that is heated by oil I am all too aware of this problem. I could have taken a cruise for what I paid to heat my house in January. Therefore, I have no problem with the fuel surcharge that the cruise lines are currently charging. I would much rather have a temporary fuel surcharge than have prices raised because that is a more permanant change.

I think it is possible that the current cost of fuel is not reflected in their 4th quarter profits because they may have been locked into a rate for that period of time that was determined before prices for fuel surged.

Since I live in the Northeast in a home that is heated by oil I am all too aware of this problem. I could have taken a cruise for what I paid to heat my house in January. Therefore, I have no problem with the fuel surcharge that the cruise lines are currently charging. I would much rather have a temporary fuel surcharge than have prices raised because that is a more permanant change.

I agree that there would be contracts locking in their prices. However, there is no reason to believe that Celebrity/RCL are using their record profits to minimize the fuel surcharge as Celebrity/RCL followed Carnival's lead. The record profits strongly show that the surcharge was not warranted at the time it was implemented and given the current direction of oil, is not warranted today.

Hi, all. I am back from my winter vacation -- not that it was any too warm in the Carolina's. I returned to find a letter from the Illinois Attroney General regarding my complaint on the surcharge for booking prior to implementation. It said that my complaint has been forwarded by them to RCL for a response. This should be interesting -- will they answer? No time line for an answer was given, so I will have to ride herd.

Meantime my mega reservation problem has yet to be fully resolved -- now 3 months later. Mostly I think it is, but I need to write a letter to Goldstein, still. As you will recall they double billed me for my deposit after booking the wrong cabin on board, then I protested the charge, it was taken off, and the remaining deposit put on someone else's reservation -- they telling me to call the travel agent on the other reservation to get the money released when they are the ones who did it! They ultimately called the other TA and got the money refunded, and told me I had to call and rebook -- do you think they will try to claim I didn't have a booking until after the implementation date on the surcharge, now? I did that, and asked for an updated invoice, three weeks or more ago before I left on vacation, and I have yet to get one. I want to know that my obc and balcony credit are there -- as it is, it looks like they are not, but then they could be setting the balcony credit off against the fuel surcharge. Unbelievably poor customer service!

On a happy note -- I emailed a complaint to Bath and Body, a store I frequent, about being overcharged on a sale item, and the poor way in which it was handled. This is not usual for me, but I am so tired of companies wanting my money and then not treating me right. I got a letter from them upon my return from vacation, very nice and apologetic, promising to investigate the matter, and giving me a $25 gift certificate! Now, that is the way to handle a complaint! I didn't ask for nor expect a gift certificate, but I will use it and very much appreciated the gesture.

Hi, all. I am back from my winter vacation -- not that it was any too warm in the Carolina's. I returned to find a letter from the Illinois Attroney General regarding my complaint on the surcharge for booking prior to implementation. It said that my complaint has been forwarded by them to RCL for a response. This should be interesting -- will they answer? No time line for an answer was given, so I will have to ride herd.

Meantime my mega reservation problem has yet to be fully resolved -- now 3 months later. Mostly I think it is, but I need to write a letter to Goldstein, still. As you will recall they double billed me for my deposit after booking the wrong cabin on board, then I protested the charge, it was taken off, and the remaining deposit put on someone else's reservation -- they telling me to call the travel agent on the other reservation to get the money released when they are the ones who did it! They ultimately called the other TA and got the money refunded, and told me I had to call and rebook -- do you think they will try to claim I didn't have a booking until after the implementation date on the surcharge, now? I did that, and asked for an updated invoice, three weeks or more ago before I left on vacation, and I have yet to get one. I want to know that my obc and balcony credit are there -- as it is, it looks like they are not, but then they could be setting the balcony credit off against the fuel surcharge. Unbelievably poor customer service!

quote]

I know with Celebrity (booked direct), if you call they send another electronic copy of the booking immediately. Sometimes with a TA I have had to wait a day. Call again for the invoice,

Btw, I just received a new invoice on a HAL cruise stating something about the government and a change in taxes since their broshure was printed, and a decreases in taxes. Does anyone know if this is affecting other cruise lines. It is about $45.00pp on an European cruise, so it's a nice reduction (it may be port fees, the updated invoice was not really specific).

quote]

I know with Celebrity (booked direct), if you call they send another electronic copy of the booking immediately. Sometimes with a TA I have had to wait a day. Call again for the invoice,

Btw, I just received a new invoice on a HAL cruise stating something about the government and a change in taxes since their broshure was printed, and a decreases in taxes. Does anyone know if this is affecting other cruise lines. It is about $45.00pp on an European cruise, so it's a nice reduction (it may be port fees, the updated invoice was not really specific).

One might think that if port charges went down for HAL in Europe, they went down for other lines doing the same ports. I would think they would be carful about this given the 1997 suit. Honestly, Jade, I am just going to write Goldstein a letter -- I am so sick of it. The RCI woman double checked my email address (booked direct); there is no reason for this, and I still have time to dicker about it as my cruise is a year away if I get no response. I have to say, most of my cruises are on X and I have never had a problem, but RCI is a different story from my experience -- I really would have to think twice about choosing them again.

Archived