Fuel Supplement announced (4 merged threads)

xeena

i think it is dangerous for non-attys to be giving legal opinions or interpretations on this thread the post a couple back is incorrect the original contract is not null and void it is enforceable by either party frankly, this is an interesting thread, but i find it hard to believe how much time is being devoted to it. i don't believe anyone will go to miami to sue royal(celebrity) in small claims court. it might be a class action type situation given the thousands of passengers affected. the likely outcome of such litigation is that the atty for the class(not me) will make a large fee, the named plainfiff will get something, and the frest of us will get a gift certificate for a martini. the litigation and settlement will be in a number of years. if an earlier poster is correct re the florida atty general looking into this, then maybe some relief will be given. of course, the cruise lines will just raise the cost of everything else: higher future fares, immediate hikes in drink prices(oh no) and spa services etc i don't like the way celebrity did this, but given the entire scheme of things, i am very much looking forward to my cruise. i hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruises as well happy holidays to all:)

How, exactly could it be enforced by the passenger? If they don't pay the fuel surcharge, they're not going to be able to board the ship. Do you think they can get an injunction from the courts forcing the cruise line to bypass this charge? Maybe that would be the case for the ones booked a year or more out, but I don't see it happening for those cruising in February or March... No, people who want to fight this will have to either pay the surcharge and take their cruise, then later fight to recoup it or cancel their cruise, get their money back, then later fight to recoup their damages. That is the only realistic way for them to "enforce" the contract.

i think it is dangerous for non-attys to be giving legal opinions or interpretations on this thread the post a couple back is incorrect the original contract is not null and void it is enforceable by either party frankly, this is an interesting thread, but i find it hard to believe how much time is being devoted to it. i don't believe anyone will go to miami to sue royal(celebrity) in small claims court. it might be a class action type situation given the thousands of passengers affected. the likely outcome of such litigation is that the atty for the class(not me) will make a large fee, the named plainfiff will get something, and the frest of us will get a gift certificate for a martini. the litigation and settlement will be in a number of years. if an earlier poster is correct re the florida atty general looking into this, then maybe some relief will be given. of course, the cruise lines will just raise the cost of everything else: higher future fares, immediate hikes in drink prices(oh no) and spa services etc i don't like the way celebrity did this, but given the entire scheme of things, i am very much looking forward to my cruise. i hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruises as well happy holidays to all:)

Its not dangerous, its freedom of expression and its only a bulletin board....

I thought the one is said it was null and void was an attorney...so since you put yourself into this brouhaha and spend some time on it....you seem to be stating the booking contract remains in place, although it is silent on fuel surcharges.

I do no believe so -- I did (around pg 18) give an explanation of void and voidable in response to one who thought that a breaching party could void a conract.

I received notification from Celebrity that if the cruise is paid in full before February 1, 2008 they do not add on the fuel charge.

I received the 'non-answer' yesterday evening along with the impression that they are still stymied over this situation:

Subject: RE: Fuel supplement

Date: December 1, 2007 6:56:34 PM EST

To: susan......

Reply-To: captainsclub@celebritycruises.com

Dear Mrs. .....,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are currently reviewing all inquiries, recommendations, and suggestions that we have received and will be responding as soon as possible. You can expect a follow up response shortly.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sheila Whedon

Customer Service Representa

When did Celebrity change their FAQ to include the following... was it after November 16th?

How often do prices change?

Subject: Pricing/Availability

Celebrity reserves the right to change, whether via an increase or decrease, any published rates, including cruise rates and airfare charges, without prior notice. We reserve the right to impose on any existing booking or new bookings (whether paid in full or not) a supplement for fuel or other matters without prior notice as provided in our Passenger Ticket Contract. In addition, we reserve the right to pass through any third party imposed fuel or other surcharges, also without prior notice, The guest will remain liable for any applicable taxes, fees or surcharges that may be assessed by any governmental or quasi-governmental agencies.

They've pretty much taken away any real gain in booking a future cruise while on a cruise. First, they reduced the onboard credits (unless you spend a ton on your cabin!), now they "reserve the right" to surcharge you to a standstill right up to your cruise date, after you've made flight & hotel arrangements and they know they have you by the short hairs. Well, we'll just wait until the last minute before booking another cruise with Celebrity. That's the only thing that makes sense for us.

They've pretty much taken away any real gain in booking a future cruise while on a cruise. First, they reduced the onboard credits (unless you spend a ton on your cabin!), now they "reserve the right" to surcharge you to a standstill right up to your cruise date, after you've made flight & hotel arrangements and they know they have you by the short hairs. Well, we'll just wait until the last minute before booking another cruise with Celebrity. That's the only thing that makes sense for us.

Absolutely! Thanks Susan-M for the updated FAQ.

This is exactly why we are not booking our next two cruises which we had planned to book.

As my mother said "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME!"

Actually from the wording it sounds like Celebrity can raise the fare/surcharge right up until the time you depart the ship! Wow talk about a captive audiance!

So you've cancelled the Feb 08 Galaxy???

IF you are refering to me, no we are going and hoping that the price/surcharge doesn't increase between now and when we leave the ship.

We had planned to book a cruise next Oct 08 and Feb of 09, which we are looking to do something else.

We had every intention of booking another cruise(s) while we were on our Summit b2b, but I don't think we're going to even mess with that. What's the point? Nope, we'll just watch for last-minute deals close to the timeframe we'll be looking at for next year. Screw this business of "oh, yeah, now it's gonna cost you an extra....":rolleyes:

It would have been nice of the cuise industry when informing the cruising public of the $5 surcharge they uncluded some reasoning. In others words, what was the cost of fuel a year ago as to the price of fuel today. I plan a 15 day Hawaian on the Mercury for next year. Assuming a full ship, the extra revenue would be $129,500. Does that zero out the cost from this year to next? JUST A THOUGHT!

Has anyone else heard that Carnival has written to some Canadians and taken off the fuel charge if they had the reservation before the fuel charge came into effect?

Yes, check out the Carnival Board -- if it doesn't appear use the search function and plug in fuel surcharge.

I received notification from Celebrity that if the cruise is paid in full before February 1, 2008 they do not add on the fuel charge.

You must be misreading that (or they mistyped it). If the cruise was to DEPART before 2/1 you did not have to pay the surcharge. Paid in full was the only way out for cruises after that.

You must be misreading that (or they mistyped it). If the cruise was to DEPART before 2/1 you did not have to pay the surcharge. Paid in full was the only way out for cruises after that.

You had to have paid in full by 11/16, otherwise you are hit if you are departing after 2/1.

jaxon...check out Shepp's new thread if you have not....there are special considerations being given by X for cruisers who were on the cusp....

Yes, I saw that. Happy for him, of course, but this is nuts. Folks who tried to pay on the 16th were refused, and now they are going to waive it, but only for those who bring it up? Just nuts!

Where have you been? Just look on the Celebrity site and there is a fuel announcement alert. If you pay by 2/1/08 you will avoid the charge. The maximum cost will be $140/per stateroom.

Just spoke with a Captain's Club rep regarding something else. I suggested raising the price of the cruise and not charging this. How would we know the difference????

Archived