Fuel Supplement announced (4 merged threads)

xeena

Yes, I saw that. Happy for him, of course, but this is nuts. Folks who tried to pay on the 16th were refused, and now they are going to waive it, but only for those who bring it up? Just nuts!

Well, we weren't "refused" permission to pay, just told (myself included) by customer service that it wouldn't do any good. Since it wasn't all that much money in my case, and I'd have had to pay by February anyway, I thought, "What the fig, it's worth a try. And I can always cancel by final payment date and get it all back." I ended up paying less than 10 minutes before my TA closed. And, if it's any comfort, it's one of the few times I've won a bet.

In fact, I would have - after hearing about Carnival's charge - have made full payment earlier, but since CCL dinged everybody, whenever and whatever they'd paid, I figured it wouldn't do any good.

Yep, nutsy and confusing. I'm thinking that somebody in Corporate didn't think all this through very clearly.

Where have you been? Just look on the Celebrity site and there is a fuel announcement alert. If you pay by 2/1/08 you will avoid the charge.

Um, totally wrong. As folks in this thread have pointed out over and over, the surcharge is "effective 11/16" for cruises departing 2/1 or later.

Well, we weren't "refused" permission to pay, just told (myself included) by customer service that it wouldn't do any good. Since it wasn't all that much money in my case, and I'd have had to pay by February anyway, I thought, "What the fig, it's worth a try. And I can always cancel by final payment date and get it all back." I ended up paying less than 10 minutes before my TA closed. And, if it's any comfort, it's one of the few times I've won a bet.

In fact, I would have - after hearing about Carnival's charge - have made full payment earlier, but since CCL dinged everybody, whenever and whatever they'd paid, I figured it wouldn't do any good.

Yep, nutsy and confusing. I'm thinking that somebody in Corporate didn't think all this through very clearly.

This board is funky today -- my post didn't register. Yes, "refused" was a poor choice of words -- just refused from the stand point of making a final payment to avoid the surcharge. Heck, I know they would take your full payment early at any time. It is a crock, however, that they are only waiving the fee for those who are bringing it up -- they should just deduct it from everyone who paid on the 16 -- shoot I'd say even on the 17th since they changed the date of the notice on their website from the 17th to the 16th. For me it wouldn't have mattered, I am booked too far out to have had it make sense to pay by the 16th.

I called Captain's Club on the 16th (re my cruise on 2/18), and I was told that it was too late. If I did not pay by the 15th of December, I was out of luck. I asked if was there a facility to register my complaint to let Celebrity know I objected to their handling of this issue, and also just in case Celebrity thought better of it for folks that had deposits paid and decided to do the right thing and allow them to pay up and avoid the surcharage, if they had registered a complaint. I, was told "no, and it wouldn't do any good, because the deadline passed yesterday, they are not going to change their mind".

So now you're all telling me that I would have avoided the surcharge if I had paid on the 16th??

I called Captain's Club on the 16th (re my cruise on 2/18), and I was told that it was too late. If I did not pay by the 15th of December, I was out of luck. I asked if was there a facility to register my complaint to let Celebrity know I objected to their handling of this issue, and also just in case Celebrity thought better of it for folks that had deposits paid and decided to do the right thing and allow them to pay up and avoid the surcharage, if they had registered a complaint. I, was told "no, and it wouldn't do any good, because the deadline passed yesterday, they are not going to change their mind".

So now you're all telling me that I would have avoided the surcharge if I had paid on the 16th??

Are you on the Century, 2/18? I also tried to pay on the 16th. I spoke to Customer Service today and was told I should have paid in full including the surcharge on the 16th and they would have reversed it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to book a cruise it specifically states "For new reservations" a fuel surcharge will apply to all sailings on or after February 1, 2008. It does not state existing deposits, or those paid in full on or prior to November 16.

Note: For new reservations, a fuel supplement of $5.00 USD per guest, per day for the first two occupants of a stateroom (subject to a maximum of $140.00 USD per stateroom) will apply to all sailings departing on or after February 1, 2008.

*Price shown in U. S. Dollars. Government taxes and fees are additional.

If you go to book a cruise it specifically states "For new reservations" a fuel surcharge will apply to all sailings on or after February 1, 2008. It does not state existing deposits, or those paid in full on or prior to November 16.

Note: For new reservations, a fuel supplement of $5.00 USD per guest, per day for the first two occupants of a stateroom (subject to a maximum of $140.00 USD per stateroom) will apply to all sailings departing on or after February 1, 2008.

*Price shown in U. S. Dollars. Government taxes and fees are additional.

Jade,

just curious, where are you picking up this language as it is different than the alert stuff, which includes existing reservations.

Jade,

just curious, where are you picking up this language as it is different than the alert stuff, which includes existing reservations.

I went to "Celebrity" "Planning a Cruise" Just plug in a destination, month etc. and it comes up above and below "Itinerary Search Results"

spacer.gif

Itinerary Search Results

I went to "Celebrity" "Planning a Cruise" Just plug in a destination, month etc. and it comes up above and below "Itinerary Search Results"

spacer.gif

Itinerary Search Results

Thanks, this would make sense, then, as you are plugging in as if planning a new cruise. Not helpful to those of us who were already booked before Nov 16th -- believe the alert language would be applying to us. Don't know if you read over at the RCI mega thread that on the promowave there was in tiny print that Canadians booked before Nov 16th would not have to pay the surcharge (sort of mirroring what is happening with all of Carnival's products), and then a Canadian called, and RCI said -- oh, they weren't honoring that. Makes you wonder what the heck they are honoring these days.

Thanks, this would make sense, then, as you are plugging in as if planning a new cruise. Not helpful to those of us who were already booked before Nov 16th -- believe the alert language would be applying to us.

My reservation is showing 0 balance even though I never paid the fuel surcharge. I wonder if they will send my cruise documents?

Vacation Subtotal:

Taxes:

spacer.gifVacation Total:0.00 spacer.gifBalance Due: 0.00

Don't know if you read over at the RCI mega thread that on the promowave there was in tiny print that Canadians booked before Nov 16th would not have to pay the surcharge (sort of mirroring what is happening with all of Carnival's products),.

Carnival is making everyone pay who is traveling 2/1 or after, regardless if they thought they were paid in full.

Not true, Princess which is part of Carnival Corporation has waived the fuel charges for all Canadians whether they booked in cdn or usd dollars if they had booked before November 16th. We booked our cruise on the Tahitian Princess and paid in full in October in USD and the fuel charges were waived. My TA emailed me last week.

Ontario Cruiser:)

Carnival is making everyone pay who is traveling 2/1 or after, regardless if they thought they were paid in full.

That's not my understanding from the Carnival fuel surcharge stuff thread -- I need to claify, if they booked or pif prior to the implementation day of Nov. 7th, they get it waived. Yes, those who are sailing after 2/1 had to pay the surcharge.

BTW, now the person who caught the promowave statement, called RCI and RCI is saying they are not honoring what was on the promowave statement. I do not think they honor anything they say, anymore.

That's not my understanding from the Carnival fuel surcharge stuff thread -- I need to claify, if they booked or pif prior to the implementation day of Nov. 7th, they get it waived. Yes, those who are sailing after 2/1 had to pay the surcharge.

BTW, now the person who caught the promowave statement, called RCI and RCI is saying they are not honoring what was on the promowave statement. I do not think they honor anything they say, anymore.

Well it is for HAL, so I thought Carnival would be the same.

What is/was the "RCI promowave statement".

I am not sure what to do right now as online the cabin booked directly with Celebrity says I am paid in full. I e-mailed the last Rep that I spoke with (The one I wrote the letter to who wanted proof that I tried to pay on the 16th). He has of course not responded at all or even acknowleged receipt of my letter. The cabin with the TA is showing the fuel surcharge due.

I don't want my cruises canceled. Do I call and offer to pay and then fight it out with Celebrity and/or my credit card company after the cruise, especially since I was told I was getting an OBC and that of course it not showing up either?

As I mentioned in my previous email, Princess DID waive our fuel charge for our April 8,2008 cruise that was booked and paid for in full before this fuel surcharge was implemented.

I am paying fuel charges on HAL for our Nov 2008 cruise that I booked at the end of November.

My understanding is that because of the laws in Canada the cruiselines are not allowed to charge us any extra if the booking was complete before Nov 16th.

Merry Christmas to all

Ontario Cruiser:)

Well it is for HAL, so I thought Carnival would be the same.

What is/was the "RCI promowave statement".

I am not sure what to do right now as online the cabin booked directly with Celebrity says I am paid in full. I e-mailed the last Rep that I spoke with (The one I wrote the letter to who wanted proof that I tried to pay on the 16th). He has of course not responded at all or even acknowleged receipt of my letter. The cabin with the TA is showing the fuel surcharge due.

I don't want my cruises canceled. Do I call and offer to pay and then fight it out with Celebrity and/or my credit card company after the cruise, especially since I was told I was getting an OBC and that of course it not showing up either?

I guess it would be better to be safe, and fight it later, but if the one you booked directly says no fuel surcharge, I'd download it and not pay it on that one -- let them tell you that you need to pay it. As for the one through the TA which is showing the charge, maybe I'd pay that but not before the OBC showed up on the invoice.

I'll see if I can find you the link to the promowave post -- basically it said that for Canadians who had booked prior to nov 16th, no fuel surcharge. Post 2135 by Maggie on the mega surcharge thread on RCI board. This week's promowave does not have that language.

Has anyone heard back from Celebrity, especially those who tried to pay in full on the 16th and were told the fuel surcharge could not be waived, only to find out later it was for others who paid minus the fuel surcharge that day?

I spoke to someone in the Resolutions Department. They said they would get back to me but so far they have not.

Btw, I paid the charge because I want to get my boarding passes. Also one booking is with a TA whose Terms and Conditions do say they have a right to charge $50.00pp for late payments...

Hi Jade,

I have not received an answer to my November 27th inquiry to them. The last email that I received from them was just prior to their updated announcement .... and with it being Christmas holidays this week, perhaps they will deal with inquiries in January.

An excerpt from the Dec. 19th email from Celebrity:

This is actually a sensitive subject and we have asked for your continued patience until our Corporate Office has given us more information. Your e-mails have been categorized for review by our Executives; once an announcement is provided, we will respond.

We apologize for any inconvenience in this matter and hope you understand our position in this lengthy review process.

Hi Jade,

I have not received an answer to my November 27th inquiry to them. The last email that I received from them was just prior to their updated announcement .... and with it being Christmas holidays this week, perhaps they will deal with inquiries in January.

An excerpt from the Dec. 19th email from Celebrity:

Susan,

Thank you for responding. The person that e-mailed you was very professional in letting you know that the Corporate office is reviewing the letters they have received.

I guess that is my biggest overall complaint with Celebrity is their lack of communication with me, even if it is from a messenger who does not have any answer or resolution.

Hi Jade,

Yes, a response saying, "we don't know, but we'll get back to you" is better than no response. It seems that they are pretty busy wading through the mess created from not implementing the surcharge properly in November.

Archived