Emerald Princess - November 06...we're back!!!

HMSDingy

Sniff.. sorry it have to end:( ....but it was a great cruise!

I won't get into a long review but suffice to say it was a great cruise. Having sailed on the Crown last year it was like coming home. Same layout and suprisingly some of the Crown staff were on the Emerald. Our room steward, Jorjo had an addictive smile and was always on top for any request. We had anytime dining in the Da Vinci and had our own regular table where Stefan and his assistant, Jorgue were marvelous. The food was great with excellent service to boot. The shows were top notch and entertainment good. The intinerary was also great with only a 5 minute downpour in St. Kitts where I enjoyed my beer al fresco.

The only...and I mean only....2 negative comments to this cruise were;

1) We only saw Captain Pomato once throughout the whole 10 days...at the Captain's Circle cocktail and even then he looked like...pardon the pun...a fish out of water. He may be an excellent seamen but definitely lacks people skills.

2) Now please don't flame me or call me anti anything but there were close to 60% seniors on this cruise. And I mean the walker, cane and motorized wheelchair types. There have been many concerns with Princess being a cruise line for the older generation and having taken this one, those concerns ring true. Because of the majority of the age group on this cruise, you had to be 45 minutes to showtime for the early shows.

Will this push me away from Princess? Nope! But for our next cruise, probably the Mediterranean, we'll look both at Princess and RCI

I did some searching and I found a similar thread about the age group on the Emerald on an earlier cruise. DW and I are 51 and 55 respectively. Does that make us the senior citizens I spoke of? Hardly. My in-laws are in their 70's but have the agility and joie de vivre of 40 year olds. The elderly I saw on the Emerald were well past that stage, had difficulty walking and some had oxygen tanks in tow. Did this bother me? Not at all (I am a Lion and have done volunteer work in hospitals). Just wanted to clarify questions concerning age groups on board Princess ships. And yes some fellow passengers younger than us did make the same point but not as politely.

The OP on the thread I found was blasted by some horribly. I hope it doesn't come to that here.

I did some searching and I found a similar thread about the age group on the Emerald on an earlier cruise. DW and I are 51 and 55 respectively. Does that make us the senior citizens I spoke of? Hardly. My in-laws are in their 70's but have the agility and joie de vivre of 40 year olds. The elderly I saw on the Emerald were well past that stage, had difficulty walking and some had oxygen tanks in tow. Did this bother me? Not at all (I am a Lion and have done volunteer work in hospitals). Just wanted to clarify questions concerning age groups on board Princess ships. And yes some fellow passengers younger than us did make the same point but not as politely.

The OP on the thread I found was blasted by some horribly. I hope it doesn't come to that here.

Thanks for the review....

We were on that prior cruise and I agree with you 100%. :)

Thanks for the update on the cruise and ship. We can't wait.

As far as the age thing goes, our CC Roll Call for the Dec 16 cruise contains a broad range of ages, mostly tending toward the younger (20' and 30's), based on what they've disclosed so far. The oldest are parents in their 70's. Several are on their honeymoon.

I would have to say based on our experience the age thing is the luck of the draw, depending on cruise duration, time of the year, etc. where it is difficult for those of us still working to break away for a holiday. Our experience of Princess as a whole says they offer a great experience for the youngest to the oldest, and there is a life aboard that is great. Our one experience on another line was they catered exclusively to the much older passengers, including music from the 20's and 30's. Princess does not do this, but presents a much broader experience.

Age is a matter of mind - if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Archived