Saving on pictures

goLC

Okay, I've read the fuel surcharge threads some, and about doing away with lobster, etc. It looks like CCL could save some $ as well as being more environmentally-friendly by stopping the fiasco of printing the thousands of pictures like I saw on the Fantasy! Every single pic was printed and hung out to POSSIBLY be purchased. It was a zoo at times and hard to find your own pictures. It looks to me like if they took a tip from theme parks, they'd go with a digital format... you know, take pics, give the people in it a slip of paper with a number on it. Later people could go to areas and look at all of their pictures on a screen and purchase what they want. Or better yet, tie it in somehow to your sign and sail card, where they take your pic, scan your card for ID purposes, and you could view them that way. Or even better, view them on your TV! They have to spend an unGodly amount of money on paper and ink - I'm sure they get a bulk deal or something, but it still has to be a good size expense. Just a way of saving money and making it more convenient and cutting down on congestion.. seems like a win-win to me. What do you all think?

I has amazed me that they have done some other system. But printing 1000s of prints every week they never get purchased. After all how are they help our

environment by wasting all that photo paper?

DW and myself agreed that after we were told in May by a photo carnival employee that the price of prints will go up by the 1st of 2008. That we would buy maybe one formal of the family. The we did not thing the $$ they charged warranted more than one print to remember the cruise. After all isn't that why everyone of us owns at least one digital camera?

How about if they provided each cabin with a memory stick of their photos. Cruisers would take their memory sticks to a lab on the ship (where the display is currently set up) where they could plug in the stick and view digital photos, and decide what to purchase. No paper needed until you make the purchase and the pics are printed out for you. There could be variations of this, and it could work.

Variation -- Remove the current "display" areas and fill them with monitors to be able to digitally view pics -- like viewing your pics digitally when you get off of a roller coaster! You simply type in a code you were given when your pic was taken, and voila! Your pic shows up digitally and you can decide whether or not to purchase it. Think of the money saved and the impact on the environment, albeit it small, it's something.

P.S. I'm a marketer (for the past 20+ years) with a Go Green initiative. :)

I have to agree that it is a terible waste of paper and ink....however I am sure they must recoup some of the cost by selling the left overs to recyclers.

I wonder if Carnival even operates or owns the photo department?Virtually everything on the ships are contracted out...are the photos too?

But...at the end of the day...someone is making money from photos...a lot of money!

I wonder if the professional photographer would mind using my digital camera to take another shot of the same picture:D just for comparison mind you. Any wally world photomat will print an 8x10 from digital media for $2.49 on a 4 day turnaround.

Okay, I've read the fuel surcharge threads some, and about doing away with lobster, etc. It looks like CCL could save some $ as well as being more environmentally-friendly by stopping the fiasco of printing the thousands of pictures like I saw on the Fantasy! Every single pic was printed and hung out to POSSIBLY be purchased. It was a zoo at times and hard to find your own pictures. It looks to me like if they took a tip from theme parks, they'd go with a digital format... you know, take pics, give the people in it a slip of paper with a number on it. Later people could go to areas and look at all of their pictures on a screen and purchase what they want. Or better yet, tie it in somehow to your sign and sail card, where they take your pic, scan your card for ID purposes, and you could view them that way. Or even better, view them on your TV! They have to spend an unGodly amount of money on paper and ink - I'm sure they get a bulk deal or something, but it still has to be a good size expense. Just a way of saving money and making it more convenient and cutting down on congestion.. seems like a win-win to me. What do you all think?

First problem is your suggestion of scanning your card or passing out photo numbers is too cumbersome. Add the extra cost of the digitial equipment, the software to store, select, display and order prints which would be a major expense. Then consider what did you save... some paper that to them is cheap.

Plus... the pictures hanging on the wall has the same effect as those candy bars at the grocery checkout stand....... They want you to not be able to ignore them.:D

The perfect solution is to make the pictures digital and viewable from the menu sceen. This is the TV channel where excursions and folio, etc. are viewed. This way they could be viewed and ordered "impulsively" without having to deal with the crowded deck or long check out line. The pictures could be sorted in a drop down menu by day, event, time as they are now, in the privacy of your room. I bet this would increase sales.:cool:

The perfect solution is to make the pictures digital and viewable from the menu sceen. This is the TV channel where excursions and folio, etc. are viewed. This way they could be viewed and ordered "impulsively" without having to deal with the crowded deck or long check out line. The pictures could be sorted in a drop down menu by day, event, time as they are now, in the privacy of your room. I bet this would increase sales.:cool:

This is a good idea. I wonder the cost of doing this vs the cost of the current model. They should test this on one ship to see what happens.

Or, what would happen if you took a digital photo of the hard copy photo that was on display? Do I dare ask that question? LOL

I have seen many posts here of people talking about doing just that. I have even seen in it some "tips" threads.

I really like the TV idea. View your own pictures from your cabin without the crowds. Sounds like heaven to me. I do, however, see why they do it the way they are doing it. It is like others have said here, when you have it in hand...it is tangible and you are more likely to purchase it as an impulse buy.

We have never purchased more than one pic. We won't even stop for the photographers when we arrive in port. We just go around them, and they don't like it.

Why should I waste their time, waste my time, and hold up the line for people debarking when I *know* I'm not going to buy their stupid photo?

I'm also tired of not even being to navigate down the promenade because there are SO MANY lines of people waiting for photos on formal night. At least it was that way on Fantasy-class ships. And then you couldn't get around the atrium level where the photos were on display.

I am totally amazed that people spend hundreds of $$ on photos, when the vast majority of us now have digital camera and can take great photos ourselves. I just don't get it, but, hey! It isn't my money.

I would think any change to the current system would have to be an improvement!

My issue is the price. It's about volume - isn't that why Wal-Mart is so successful... low price = volume!! Why do they have to charge $22 for an 8x10 that costs about $1 to print? After a lengthy discussion at our table one evening, our tablemates agreed that we would be purchasing AT LEAST two or more of the photos if they were priced around $10. Automatically, this increased the volume purchased at our table by 400%. Albeit the cost per photo is down by more than 50%, however the overall profit is still so much better for the cruiseline AND there is less paper wasted in the end!!!! Makes sense, doesn't it?

I too would love to be able to see the pictures on my tv in the room! It would save them money and probably get alot more money from us for pictures. On our last cruise we wanted to get the embarkation photo but they had just put them on display and weren't open for purchases yet. Somehow we forgot to get it and didn't realize til we were home.

Out on display it is an Impluse purchase (Marketing 101) if you ordered them Carnival knows sales would decrease......

John

I actually think the opposite may happen for many people if they were available on our cabin tvs. It's really easy to avoid the mobs of people standing around trying to find their pictures but if it's right on your cabin tv it would be too tempting to take a peek just to see how they came out. It's also lessens the chance of missing photos that were taken but you never could locate on those massive walls of pictures. They could use that space to display other photo items people might buy on impulse when picking up their photos.

That is a good idea, not only is it a waste the way it is done now.

I find it way to crowded an area they seem like they are right in the walk way and sometimes it is very hard to get around.

Plus it is sometimes hard to locate your picture. I have gotten to the point I don't' even bother looking anymore it is to much work to find and lines are always long to buy.

If I could look on the TV at my shots and then order them and have them sent to my room I would be more apt to buy them.

Disney has now implemented the Photo Pass and I think it's fantastic. When you get your first picture done the photographer gives you the card. Then every subsequent picture you hand the photographer your card. They take multiple pictures which is good when you have blinkers in your family. At any time you can go to various locations in the parks to look at the pictures and have them printed and when you get home you can go to the photopass website and input your code and you have 30 days to order pics as well as other photo items. You can also e-mail an invite to friends and family to view your pics. Great money maker because grandparents are likely to order as well.

It would be a great idea for cruise because there are many times either I can't find a picture or forget to look. Also, for those brining their kids I'm sure the grandparents will order from the online site. I do believe that the packages you can get at the park are cheaper then the one's online which would still encourage people to buy on the ship.

A few years ago a co-worker went on NCL and they offered a photo special. For something under $100 you could get ALL the photos of your family that were taken on the ship. Since they were cruising with their 4 year old they took advantage of the deal. She came home with a fist-full of 8x10 pictures. Now, everyone might not want to spend $100, but knowing you could get ALL the pics might be a great incentive. I know our upcoming cruise with our granddaughters would be the type of trip we could certainly take advantage of a deal like this.

Quick, where's the suggestion box?

Or, what would happen if you took a digital photo of the hard copy photo that was on display? Do I dare ask that question? LOL

Has been the question of many debates on these boards over the past few years.

If you get caught, the photography dept will give you a big speil about copyright laws and how that photo is their property and can not be duplicated without a signed release form. They will tell you that photography is an art form and the composition, skill, etc. of the photographer who took the photo is his/hers alone.

However, you can take a picture of any piece of real art on the ship from paintings to copies and on to sculptures and it's ok.:confused:

I'm a newsreporter by trade and take photos for stories all of the time, photos that end up in a newspaper where anyone who has a copy of the paper can copy the story and/or the photo. The only defense I have against people who copy my work is if they use it for their own personal gain by claiming it was their own and using the story word for word or the photo in the media.

I personally think the photography department's crew on ships who claim you can't take a photo of their photos is a piece of **** and could probably be challenged in court in these days of cyber space and digital cameras.

On the other hand, after about 20 cruises, DH & I have actually purchased only a handfull of photos from ship photographers because we've frankly had better pics taken of ourselves by dinner companions or complete strangers we've run across during our travels.

We just hand our camera to anyone in the area where we want a photo and they snap it. With digital processing these days, those photos can be as good or better than the photos ship photographers are paid to take.

And the price of those good photos taken on our own camera are in the dollar and cents range instead of the mega bucks.

Dianne

For something under $100 you could get ALL the photos of your family that were taken on the ship. Now, everyone might not want to spend $100, but knowing you could get ALL the pics might be a great incentive.

That's a great deal! I always spend way more than $100 and don't get all the pictures. I would do it.

Archived