What does MV mean?

cinta

Ok, I'm asking a serious question now, so none your p-taking. What does MV mean before Queen Victoria?

If Sir Martin knows please allow him to answer first. I would not want to upset his Highness:eek:

Sharon:eek:

Ok, I'm asking a serious question now, so none your p-taking. What does MV mean before Queen Victoria?

If Sir Martin knows please allow him to answer first. I would not want to upset his Highness:eek:

Sharon:eek:

I think it's Motor Vessel

If Sir Martin doesn't wake up soon - email me :) : I will give him a poke with a long stick from his sister DippyCat (she is still annoyed he declined to take her on the QE2 earlier this year -- apparently having a sister along would cramp his style:p I was so looking forward to that Queens Grill suite (as staff I obviously would have had to go as well:D ))

Karen

LankyLad is correct .... motor vessel

MS - Motor Ship

RMS - Royal Mail Ship

TSS - Turbine Steamship

And the list includes many others

Enjoy your evening :)

Vic,

I always though MV stood for Marine Vessel or Merchant Vessel! Well just goes to show that you learn something new every day!

Karen

LankyLad is correct .... motor vessel

MS - Motor Ship

RMS - Royal Mail Ship

TSS - Turbine Steamship

And the list includes many others

Enjoy your evening :)

As a point of mindless pedantry, RMS actually stands for Royal Mail Steamer not Ship. It's use with QM2 is honorary, as she's not a steamer. All of the other great Cunarders were steamships, as was QE2 until her major refit.

As a point of mindless pedantry, RMS actually stands for Royal Mail Steamer not Ship. It's use with QM2 is honorary, as she's not a steamer. All of the other great Cunarders were steamships, as was QE2 until her major refit.

Tom,

Have you decided on dress for December yet? I've ordered a new dress shirt from a nice local tailor, who seriously undercuts London prices. Hopefully should be okay....

Matthew

I can be contacted until mid December - my email address is in my signature.:)

Reading this again, I've got it now;) Doh! Idiot!!

Sharon

ps. i'm the idiot Malcolm, not you:)

See ?

We all learn something new every day. At least on this board, we're not corrected with an "attitude". :rolleyes:

In the old days RMS stood for ROYAL MAIL STEAMER or ROYAL MAIL STEAMSHIP. If the vessel was a motor ship the designation was RMMV or ROYAL MAIL MOTOR VESSEL. It is now taken to mean ROTAL MAIL SHIP.

"All of the great Cunarders were steamship...." Not quite! Cunard also had two great ships that were motor ships..... the BRITANNIC and GEORGIC, both motor vessels.

The designation for QM2 might well be honorary as she does not regularly carry mails, but if she did she would still be RMS... ROYAL MAIL SHIP.

What is technically 'incorrect' is the use of the term 'ship', because a 'ship' is a 'vessel' that carries three or more masts and is 'square rigged' on all masts. You will find 'power-driven vessel and 'sailing vessels' but a 'ship's is as I describe.

Correct terminology is something of the past. Heck, they even call then 'it' these days. Can you imagine calling QE2 'it'? 'It' is a 'she'... for sure!

Another pet hate.... I cringe whenever I hear, '"The Queen Elizabeth Two cruise ship" instead of "The cruise ship Queen Elizabeth Two".

Stephen

I agree with you on that .....

QE2 ... a cruise ship?? ..... far from it! :rolleyes:

Sickening isn't it?

Best term to cover them all is 'passenger vessel'. Or to keep the marketing people happy we should call them 'guest vessels'!!!!

Stephen

I agree with you Karen pretty sure it stands for Merchant Vessel.

Pat

That could be a possibility, but many refer to the motor vessel connotation in regards to passenger ships.

Another good way to find out is to Google it, or ask a ships officer.

(Note to self ... my next project on board QM2 :) )

That could be a possibility, but many refer to the motor vessel connotation in regards to passenger ships.

Another good way to find out is to Google it, or ask a ships officer.

(Note to self ... my next project on board QM2 :) )

Vic & Pat,

Sorry, MV most definitely not Merchant Vessel.

I'm certain that Captain Rynd would give the same answer!! :)

The following may help...

HMS HER MAJESTY'S SHIP

USS UNITED STATES SHIP

SS STEAM SHIP

SV SAILING VESSEL

TS TRAINING SHIP

MS MOTOR SHIP

MV MOTOR VESSEL

TSS TURBINE STEAM SHIP or sometime TWIN SCREW STEAMER

TN TURBO NAVE (Italian for TURBINE SHIP)

SD SCHNELLDAMPFER (German for EXPRESS STEAMER)

PS PADDLE STEAMER

QTEV QUADRUPLE SCREW ELECTRIC VESSEL

TT TURBINE TANKER

MT MOTOR TUG

MFV MOTOR FISHING VESSEL

RFA FOYAL FLEET AUXILIARY

RMS ROYAL MAIL SHIP

GTS GAS TURBINE SHIP

GTV GAS TURBINE VESSEL

RV RESEARCH VESSEL

VLCC VERY LARGE CRUDE CARRIER

ULCC ULTRA LARGE CRUSE CARRIER

OBO OIL BLUK ORE CARRIER

etc etc

Merchant ships or merchant vessels include all vessels that are not government owned or operated. In the UK it is refered to as the Merchant Navy or Mercantile Marine, in the USA as the Mercant Marine.

The term pleasure craft or yacht is used to describe any vessel that is not used for any kind of commercial purpose.

QTEV is the interesting prefix... QUADRUPLE SCREW ELECTRIC VESSEL. This was used by Furness Lines for their MONARCH OF BERMUDA and QUEEN OF BERMUDA. Captain Musson on the QUEEN used to say it stood for 'Quick Turnaround Every Voyage'. QTEV could also be applied to the QUEEN MARY 2... she has four screws driven by electric motors!

Stephen

Archived