NYC: getting there by Amtrak

FreeStyleNCL

Amtrack goes into Penn Station, NYC.

Try http://www.nyccabfare.com/ for estimate on cost -- maybe, and this is a very rough guess, @ 2 miles / $10 ? Penn's at 34th & 7th, but I don't know which Pier HAL uses. Be sure to have small bills since cabbies usually don't change anything more than a $20.

Suitcases for 10 days vary -- for me that's 1 plus small carry-on. You may wish to/or need to split up with 2 to a taxi.

I'm going out of NYC on Jan 15 and I was wondering how far the the port is from the NYC amtrak station.

and how much the taxi's cost. we have 4 people each with 10 days worth of luggage lol

thanks

The cruise terminal is in Manhattan- really only about 1 mile from Penn Station. Depending on traffic- you are looking at a $ 10 taxi ride plus tips.

Last January we had no problems getting a taxi at Penn Station. There is a taxi stand and they wait there with someone loading each party. We had a really good driver from there:D . He put his car in park even when we were a traffic lights and chose the quickest route between Penn Station and our hotel. This was about the same distance as the pier would be from Penn Station and we paid $10 plus a nice tip.

The one we had from the hotel to the pier took us the busiest way:mad: to the pier (we could have gone across up further and avoided the Tunnel traffic) and all we could do was watch the meter move higher the longer we sat in traffic.

As always, what type of driver you will have is anyone's guess, just like the weather.

might need 2 taxis for 4 people and all that luggage....a reg taxi can hold 3 people in the back and 1 in the front if the driver permits it ( safety issue...they have bulletproof glass between the front and back) and no more than 3 big suitcases in the trunk. When my husb and I travel with our kids we get 2 taxis simultaneously and each take a kid with us and get into a taxi. Also please be sure to collect all your belongings before exiting the cab...there are always stories in the newspaper about passengers leaving valuables behind.

might need 2 taxis for 4 people and all that luggage....a reg taxi can hold 3 people in the back and 1 in the front if the driver permits it ( safety issue...they have bulletproof glass between the front and back) and no more than 3 big suitcases in the trunk. When my husb and I travel with our kids we get 2 taxis simultaneously and each take a kid with us and get into a taxi. Also please be sure to collect all your belongings before exiting the cab...there are always stories in the newspaper about passengers leaving valuables behind.

There are now 4 and 5 passengers taxi cabs available that might be able to handle more people and more luggage:

[ATTACH]63071[/ATTACH]

taxicab_logo.jpg.c431a2ecaf71bdda4118ed8506899e82.jpg

There are now 4 and 5 passengers taxi cabs available that might be able to handle more people and more luggage:

[ATTACH]63071[/ATTACH]

yea one of them vans or something

I'm glad it's only a MILE from the station :)

we can take a walk if we wanted to lol

No you don't want to walk there. The reason why I say it will be $ 10 is because traffic in New York is notorious and it is never quick getting anywhere. A one mile taxi ride could mean 5 minutes or 15 minutes depending on traffic, especially by the port where it is congested on embarkation day.

yea one of them vans or something

I'm glad it's only a MILE from the station :)

we can take a walk if we wanted to lol

Walk a mile in NYC with luggage on January 15th? Fuggedaboutit!

Could be cold and wet, or slushy sidewalks, or a howling wind off the Hudson River. Treat yourself, take a cab.

I agree, take a cab. I was just in NYC today. I grabbed a cab from around Pier 14 in Manhattan (downtown/wall st. area) to NY Penn. We flew up the FDR Parkway and just skid to a halt trying to get crosstown on 34th. My fare was $16.90. I gave the driver a $20.

Amtrak uses Penn Station. Red Caps are available to help with your bags to the cab stand. If your train does not have checked baggage service (most on the Northeast Corridor (Washington - NY Penn - Boston Regionals and Acela do not have baggage service), the train crew should help you unload your luggage off the train and Red Caps should be trainside.

If you do have checked luggage service on your train, use it! The Red Caps will help you get your luggage from the baggage claim and get it up and out of Penn and to the street. Penn Station is under Madison Sq. Garden.

Please be sure to leave lots and lots of buffer time between arrival in Penn Station and boarding the ship. Amtrak outside the Northeast Corridor is notoriously late. I was once on an Amtrak train that was 27 hours late, but that's another story. Amtrak is a tenant on the freight railroad's rails outside the NE Corridor. The freight railroad dispatcher park Amtrak on the siding in favor of their own trains.

Rick

I went the other way recently, from the pier to Penn Station. Cost for two people and two bags was about $7.50 and I gave the driver a ten and thought it a good deal. The walk would have been hard with our bags. It was well worth a ten-spot to me to get dropped right in front of Madison Square Garden/Penn Station.

Dave

I just want to add that there won't be any porters to help with luggage so if hauling luggage is going to be a problem you should take that into consideration.

What side of Penn Station did you arrive on? If you arrive on the LIRR or Metro-North, there are no Red Caps or porters. They work for Amtrak and are usually down on the platform to help passengers. If there arn't any Red Caps, the conductor or gate agent can summon them.

Rick

[ATTACH]63071[/ATTACH]

Don't count on it.

There were 4 of us debarking Noordam after the inaugural with all of our luggage and the taxi driver refused to load all the luggage into a Toyota Sienna minivan, saying that it was "Against the Rules" to put luggage in the front passenger seat (Never a problem with Limos in NYC or Taxis and Limos in Fort Lauderdale and Seattle...) so we had to take two taxis.

You're better off booking a Limo or you'll end up taking two Taxis from Penn...

I was just there last week. I think you want the taxi to drop you off on the 31st street side, not the main entrance with the Pennsylvania Hotel across the street and cab line. On the "back" side you just walk right down the stairs and end up right at Amtrak vs walking through the station and shops and restaurants. Those stairs deposit you right by the Club Acela/Continental area. That is where all the Amtrak Red Cap/porters are located.

I can not give you info reg. your questions but we are also taking amtrak to sail on the Noordam 1/16/08. We are planning to go a day early in case of bad weather . All info I have read so far is that it is only a mile or 2 from the hotels and Penn station... and the cabs are available and price is right, Just might see you aboard.............

Archived