St. Petersburg Visas?

pepidog

Taking RCCL Baltic Cruise June 4, 2008. Private tour operators in St. Petersburg have informed me that a Russian Visa is not necessary in St. Petersburg when arriving via ship and staying less than 72 hours. They say they provide a Group Visitors Visa and that is all that you need. Anyone know for sure if this is correct or not?

Unless you're ONLY taking sponsored tours via a company like Red October or Denrus or if you're taking ship excursions, you will be covered under a blanket visa. But, if you want to even take ONE step off the ship on your own, maybe to go out to dinner or whatever, you'll need individual visas. I've been to St Petersburg three times and always purchased my own visa because I wanted to leave the ship on my own and do some shopping.

Yes, that is correct. You do not need to obtain an individual visa if you plan to stay with your private tour operator or on a ship's tour.

We found that to be fine for us. We had two long days of touring with Den Rus, and I took one evening tour through the cruise line. I was too tired to even think of venturing out on my own. Plus, many of the cruise ships dock in a commercial area (particularly larger ships) where there is really nothing to do close to the dock. There aren't even many taxis around.

Archived