Resolved: major glitch for special food needs

JillSR

A LOT of people read the thread I started October 30 about the potential problem of getting the food I needed (I have many food allergies and am a vegetarian) on board Nautica.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=653334

I'm thrilled to say that Mr. Del Rio did in fact come through with flying colors to help me! All of the food items that I faxed to him (per his request) were either purchased overseas or shipped from the U.S. Several items were in duplicate because they weren't sure if they would find them in Europe or not, so a shipment came from the U.S. as well. My ONLY problem was the guilt I felt about not eating to excess...I kept thinking that I should be eating long after I was full so that they wouldn't think any food was wasted with my requests! What a joyous problem for me, since it is a very rare occasion that I find more than one item on a menu - and sometimes that item is a simple tossed salad.

The staff on board was incredibly accomodating and seemed almost thrilled with the challenge of serving me/cooking for me. Practically all of the head staff (chefs, head waiters, head of housekeeping, head of food and beverage, general manager...) called me by name each time they saw me. The waiters remembered little details such as knowing that the only bread I could eat is the baguette and making sure there was enough mixed in the bread basket at my table.

Each night a menu was delivered to my stateroom with the next night's dinner menu for the grand dining room. I was told to circle anything that interested me and they would try to alter the recipe to make it OK for me to eat. (The chefs with smaller crowds - at Tapas and the specialty restaurants made things without advance notice.) One day minestrone soup was on the menu. Typically that is vegetarian so I circled it. It turned out to be chicken based with cheese (2 things that are no good for me). Well, the chef made me my own minestrone! It was delicious! I could not believe what they were willing to do to make food that I could eat.

There were other people with special food needs on board also, and everyone got excellent attention. Don't think that only I was treated well after Mr. Del Rio got involved (though I'm sure it didn't hurt!!).

The best meals were when I wrote on the menu, "Surprise me." The food was exquisite gourmet vegetarian cuisine and looked beautiful on the plate. One night I wrote "I saw cranberry muffins at breakfast and they looked so good. Any chance you can make a dairy-free muffin?" The next day I had cranberry muffins! They also did an amazing job on the desserts. Actually, they did an amazing job with everything I was served. The sous chef spoke with me on the first day I went to afternoon tea. He apologized for not being prepared for me and offered to make me a small sandwich of grilled vegetables. It turned out to be the best sandwich I have ever eaten. Every day after that, I was offered a variety of sandwiches and mini-desserts. And again, I felt guilty if I was too full to eat or missed the tea because I was off the ship!

This was absolutely the best vacation we have ever taken (not just because of the food, but this helped ME really enjoy myself). Oceania staff members do an amazing job treating each passenger as an important individual, with class and with a smile on their face.

I am definitely spoiled and can't wait until I can take another cruise on Oceania!

JillSr,

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! We are very much looking forward to our cruise next September (our first on Oceania). From almost everything I've read, it sounds like FDR and Oceania go out of their way to make the cruise the absolute best. This is the only board I've read where the execs and line actually do seem to care about customer service. I can't wait!

dolpinmar

Your initial posts and FDR's response really overwhelmed me. I posted the basic outline of your problem & Oceania's response on the HAL Board where I am booked for a cruise in December. It received a good bit of attention. At least one HAL cruiser booked a cruise on Oceania after reading it as did we. We are very much impressed with this type of "corporate" response to an individual's need in today's world.

Friends of ours recently returned from an Oceania cruise and were very pleased.

As I have said before, and as have the majority of "O" cruisers, "they are the best."

The bonus of having FDR a regular contributor to these pages is of inestimable value to those of us who have made the line our "line of choice" over the last few years.

Since the days of the Royal Viking in the 80's and 90's I have never seen such a loyal group of passengers.

The kudos is well earned by the "O" personnel from the CEO down to the smiling maintainance crew on the ships.

To all of the "O" staff I want to send our thanks and good wishes of the season.

We leave in 3 months for our "O" experience on the Insignia. It will be wonderful!!!

Thanks everyone. It's certainly with good reason that Oceania has a loyal following. I'm sure that as long as Frank Del Rio is the CEO, Oceania will continue to listen to and adopt changes (when appropriate) based on cruisers' comments. I noticed a post maybe a year ago from someone in his fifties who was really disappointed that the music was for a much older crowd. On this sailing there was a perfect range of music from 50's to 80's, appealing to everyone. My parents had put a deposit on the Regatta for 9/08 and, after hearing about our experience, called their TA to finalize and pay the balance. I'm jealous but first I have to save enough money to do book again!

Your initial posts and FDR's response really overwhelmed me. I posted the basic outline of your problem & Oceania's response on the HAL Board where I am booked for a cruise in December. It received a good bit of attention. At least one HAL cruiser booked a cruise on Oceania after reading it as did we. We are very much impressed with this type of "corporate" response to an individual's need in today's world.

Golfette, Please post the link for that as I'm just curious to read some of the comments. Thanks.

Golfette, Please post the link for that as I'm just curious to read some of the comments. Thanks.

Here is the link that Golfette started about the responsiveness of Oceania

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=653627

and here is the link about LegalSailor booking a cruise because of Golfette's thread. (I think she should get a portion of the commision :p)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=656101

KS&JW, you are amazing. I couldn't remember which thread I posted that on & was going to have to do a lot of checking - thanks:) !

JillSR I am so pleased at how your situation turned out. What a great example for Oceania and FDR.

I also want you all to know that for this Oceania cruise, we are flying for the 1st time since Sept. 11th (scared to death, but still going).

• 5 months later...

Sadly while our experience on Nautica inSept 07 was fantastic inc dealing with a serious food allergy problem (Rob was the Restuarant manager at the time )

Our experience in Feb/Mar 08 was far from a happy one ......yes i was given the menu each morning and my waiter knew of my difficulty but do not ask me what was goiing on in the galley because my meals were defintely not allergy free

Add on the serious and unnotified changes to itinery and the abject failure either onboard or since then for guest relations to answer questions or respond to a letter i sadly feel Oceania has gone downhill since Frank Del Rio moved to Apollo

I dont think he monitors this forum any longer either

We have just returned home off the Regatta. I have life threatening food allergies. The staff particularly Darrin were outstanding. They got my meal right every night. A menu was delivered every morning to my state room .it was one of the best cruises ever. On nautica last year it was hit and miss, this year the exact opposite. Thanks O.

• 2 years later...
We have just returned home off the Regatta. I have life threatening food allergies. The staff particularly Darrin were outstanding. They got my meal right every night. A menu was delivered every morning to my state room .it was one of the best cruises ever. On nautica last year it was hit and miss, this year the exact opposite. Thanks O.

Glenneagle--just saw your post about life-threatening food allergies and I have the same situation and will travel on Regatta starting August 5. This is our first time with O lines, although we travel to the UK quite often.

Can you recommend strategies that worked for you in selecting items in advance and doublechecking with servers, etc.? (I usually eat 'safe' things only when traveling but given the menus this will mean very delimited choices.)

Many thanks - you can contact me directly at the e-mail below.

dhackler@cox.net

(Oklahoma)

Archived