229 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand with "insider cruising"

• Only been inside - totally content
    • Only been inside but would move up in a heartbeat
    • Tried the big stuff - glad to be back inside
    • Balcony snob only
    • Suite stuff for us
    • OK as long as I can see outside

Thanks for starting this poll. We have had all insides and love them. We cruise twice a year and this is why we get the inside so we can cruise more often. I don't like being isolated. There are so many nice areas on the ships to sit and relax and visit with other cruisers.

Jan

7 cruises - all in inside cabins - don't mind them at all. We luckily got to cruise three times this year because we got such a good price on those insides!

I do have to admit I would like to try a balcony sometime but I'm afraid I'll get hooked!

Believe me you will, We are going in an OV on Dec. 8 because the price was only $449.00 and a balcony was $1379.00. for 7 days on the Grandeur. I am sure I will survive and have a great time, LOL.

I didn't check a box above..........we have been inside, balcony and suites it really doesn't matter sometimes it is the price, lenght of cruise that makes us select what we want to us it is just being on a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Inside was great for our Monarch cruise, but we are doing a balcony for the Mariner. Watching the water in the Caribbean is just such a great pleasure, so we want to have the balcony. Also, I think the length of the cruise makes a difference for me, as well as who I'm cruising with.

I'd rather cruise with an inside stateroom than not cruise at all.

I think I "could be" an insider. In fact, I really had intended to book an inside cabin on my next cruise, but then RCI offered an extra $100 to book outside balcony, and the price was not too bad so I crumbled liked and old biscuit and payed for the stupid balcony again.

But I swear that if I can used my timeshare points this spring, I'm going to get that inside or Prominade room on the EOS. I'm gonna be an insider. Yes I AM!!!

:D

I think I "could be" an insider. In fact, I really had intended to book an inside cabin on my next cruise, but then RCI offered an extra $100 to book outside balcony, and the price was not too bad so I crumbled liked and old biscuit and payed for the stupid balcony again.

But I swear that if I can used my timeshare points this spring, I'm going to get that inside or Prominade room on the EOS. I'm gonna be an insider. Yes I AM!!!

:D

LOL - Sounds familiar. I think I could be also, usually the OV is almost the price of a balcony w/ C&A disount, so then I look at the inside...BUT so far for the little difference they suck me in to a balcony....except for Alaska (where I did cough up a bigger difference for the balcony..although I am hoping to go back and ill probably do an iside for more $ for excursions..

Fascinating thread.

Our first cruise was last year and we ended up with a balcony. Not even sure how much thought went into it, but for some strange reason we never thought of anything other than a balcony. Loved it. And that's a bit of a problem because we could cruise more for the same moola if we go inside.

But we ended up having soooo many lovely moments in our private little outdoor space that we're doing it again. There is something quite nice about excusing oneself from the crowds and snuggling privately...icon12.gif

An interesting test will be this next cruise 'cause DD and Grandma will have the balcony beside us, and while Grandma has cruised several times with Princess this will be her very first RCI cruise and her first balcony. Should be fun.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

I knew you guys were out there. I guess it's the "other half" who mostly post on these boards. I was beginning to feel in the minority until I remembered I was not the only one in those halls.

I'll gladly take two inside cruises rather than a suite, or balcony, or whatever.:D :D

me too!

16 cruises and only one balcony and two oceanview. Our last cruise was a balcony room and our next will be back to the inside. We got a really good deal on the balcony and it was kinda nice. For the money, I will stay inside. I like to be doing things around the ship more than just sitting in the room.

Just had my first inside cruise. It was a bonus cruise and besides, there weren't any balconies available. Wasn't sure how I would feel, just wanted to be on that ship. It was great, so dark and quiet, great sleep, especially in the new RCI bedding. I would do it again, but given my preference, I'd take a balcony because I can stare at my private ocean.

We were in an OV for our cruise to Alaska and loved it. We could look out of the window and see the sights. We went out on deck to feel the fresh air. When we started looking at our Panama Canal cruise we decided the cost of the balcony was too much. We booked an OV again. I'm looking forward to it. I would love to try a balcony some day, but only with a really good deal. And to answer one of the other posters, I don't feel I miss anything on the cruise.

I think you "insiders" are missing the best part of the cruise!

To me, sitting out on the balcony and just relaxing and enjoying the sights, smells, and sounds is the BEST part of the entire cruise.

LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Sounds good! However, I can have all those things by sitting on any deck:) Actually, we can only do inside if we want to cruise. We are a family of 5 and taking 2 inside cabins allows us to cruise at all. So for now, its inside for us. Maybe one day we will ditch the kids and go for a couples cruise.

I'm loving all these responses. Thank you, Everyone. It seems we read so much on these threads about which balcony or which suite is the best, and I began to wonder about all the people who share the inside of the ship with us.

Some sincere questions about the balcony cabins:

1. Someone wrote that her balcony was unpleasant on the Panama Canal trip because it was so hot and humid. I would hate that.

2. I wonder about a balcony in Alaska. Parts of our Alaska cruise were cold--especially when we wanted to view the glacier. Also, at the glacier, we wanted to be able to move from one side of the ship to the other. Same with whale and other wildlife sightings.

3. People complain about others who leave their balcony lights on - interrupts their sleep.

4. If someone is smoking on the balcony, does the smoke waft over to your little area?

5. We just never wanted to leave the excitement on the ship itself to be on our own balcony. Would rather find a spot where we could people watch.

As far as ocean view, do you have a comfortable seat to look out the window? Seemed to me, when I peeked into an OV cabin, that you'd have to sit on the bed to spend time looking out the window. Not so much fun.

Any comments? (Not that we would ever spend the extra $$$ for balcony or OV, but just would be interested.)

Inside all the way! This time we splurged and got a prominade cabin on the explorer, but I love the money we save and use it for excursions while in port. DH and I spend about 8hrs a day in the cabin and 7hours and 30 minutes of that are spend with out eyes closed. There is just so much we wnat to do, we would hate to be cooped up in the cabin - even with a balcony. Also, we just don't "sit" well. We love the ocean and spending time on deck walking and enjoying the view. Can't walk very far on a balcony. :) To each his own, but an inside room fits us all the way!!!

To the OP, thanks for starting this topic - I agree, we insiders are in the minority, but we still count! :)

2 days to go, this will be our third cruise- third inside, Inside cabin I get to go on a cruise, Much more than that I don't get to cruise..

Put me in the engine room with a hammock and i would be happy!

We use the room to sleep, shower and change clothes, so almost always inside, unless we find a cheaper price in OVs [yes, it happens]. I will have to confess that we have booked a hump balcony on the Mariner next year, since with our Diamond discount it was only $98pp more for the week than the cheapest inside [and I have run into people to whose bar tab is that much in one day:D].

"Hammock in the engine room" reminds me of a 4 night cruise we took out of Rockhampton, Qsld to the Great Barrier Reef - the boat only had 13 passenger cabins and was sold out when an Australian couple showed up direct from their wedding. They had put down a deposit, but their travel agent had not forwarded their final payment, so their cabin had been released to someone else. After a few phone calls which convinced the Owner/Captain that he would get paid, he turned his cabin over to the newly-weds and did in fact sleep in a hammock in the engine room. We all had a wonderful time!

Inside all the way! This time we splurged and got a prominade cabin on the explorer, but I love the money we save and use it for excursions while in port. DH and I spend about 8hrs a day in the cabin and 7hours and 30 minutes of that are spend with out eyes closed. There is just so much we wnat to do, we would hate to be cooped up in the cabin - even with a balcony. Also, we just don't "sit" well. We love the ocean and spending time on deck walking and enjoying the view. Can't walk very far on a balcony. :) To each his own, but an inside room fits us all the way!!!

To the OP, thanks for starting this topic - I agree, we insiders are in the minority, but we still count! :)

You put it very well. I guess that's my point - "we just don't 'sit' well" either. We're walkers.

Never thought I'd cruise in an inside until my sister offered me a 10-day cruise on HAL with my two nieces in an inside cabin for $200. Yep, that's not a misprint. I figured for $20/day I could live without a window.

Much to my amazement, I enjoyed the cabin. We did have to use a nightlight so the youngest could find the ladder to climb down from her bed (I had to get used to the light being on) but I got used to it.

I told my DH if it was inside cabin cruise or no cruise, we'd take inside!

Archived