any cruiseline stops by Wrangell

kGCAL

Is there any cruiseline that offers itinerary that includes wrangell? After reading this board, it seems that you can bear watching there without taking a float plane excursion. Thank you

I think you would have to be traveling independently. You can get there by plane or ferry. This link provides some information.

http://www.wrangell.com/visitors/info/gettinghere/index.html

A couple of the smaller cruiselines used to go there but as mentioned, I don't think so any more. I am flying there from Juneau next July then hopefully taking a boat to the forest service cabin at Anan Bay and staying at the cabin a couple of nights to bear watch. The round trip day boat excursion costs +-$200/person if you are interested in going for a day.

John

NCL used to cruise to Wrangell on the Sun out of Vancouver, but dropped it as a port of call after our cruise in 2004. Too bad, because it was a different stop at a relatively undeveloped cruise port that wasn't full of Diamonds Unlimited and the other cruise line stops.

NCL used to cruise to Wrangell on the Sun out of Vancouver, but dropped it as a port of call after our cruise in 2004. Too bad, because it was a different stop at a relatively undeveloped cruise port that wasn't full of Diamonds Unlimited and the other cruise line stops.

Sounds a lot like what Haines is today!

It seems the local retail infracture play a big role where the cruiselines choose their ports. It is really bad since there are so many nice things to do in wrangell from I saw on the travel channel.

It seems the local retail infracture play a big role where the cruiselines choose their ports. It is really bad since there are so many nice things to do in wrangell from I saw on the travel channel.

Many shops are either owned by cruiselines or give the cruiselines a huge kickback, thus the close relationship between retail infrastructure and cruise ports.

Here is the schedule for cruise ship visits at Wrangell during the 2007 season:

http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2007/2007_Wrangell.pdf

Looks like Cruise West is the best bet.

Thanks for the link. I was looking at their port of call schedule and didn't see wrangell mentioned there. Is it possible the port at Wrangell under different name? Also, I notice their price is quite experience comparing to other cruiselines mentioned here.

Thanks for the link. I was looking at their port of call schedule and didn't see wrangell mentioned there. Is it possible the port at Wrangell under different name? Also, I notice their price is quite experience comparing to other cruiselines mentioned here.

That link that was posted is ALL for Wrangell (WRG). Most smaller ships are more expensive. More personalized service, often shore excursions and drinks are included, fewer people to spread the fixed costs over = higher fare per person.

Thanks for that link -I see that a ship will be there on July 9. Hopefully I will already be at Anan Bay by then for a couple of days :D

Archived