Anyone want to help an old lady?

Cruisin' Ron VA

I love a happy ending !! And there'll be a companion with her, too - AND trip insurance and better flights!! Everyone wins. I agree w/ the intent of the OP, but that's the problem when you post on a forum like this. It's difficult to dictate what kinds of responses you desire.

Believe it or don't, I'm actually very pleased that this worked out the way I did. A private solution is wonderful. My reasons for disagreeing with the solution originally expressed have already been clearly stated and are based on logic and business sense...which unfortunately has to be somewhat cold-hearted in our society. An act of kindness can be taken as an admission of guilt, and we've all seen examples of that. All's well that ends well. And I'll leave it at that.

Rob, Princess could have resolved this situation sometime ago very quietly with no "admission of guilt". In so much as they chose not to, they have received a tremendous amount of negative press via the articles in the Washington Post. Somehow that doesn't seem like logical business sense to me.

I'm personally disappointed in Princess's management behavior on this particular case - so much so that I've been tempted to hide my Princess "pom-poms".

Rob, Princess could have resolved this situation sometime ago very quietly with no "admission of guilt". In so much as they chose not to, they have received a tremendous amount of negative press via the articles in the Washington Post. Somehow that doesn't seem like logical business sense to me.

I'm personally disappointed in Princess's management behavior on this particular case - so much so that I've been tempted to hide my Princess "pom-poms".

After the first of the year we are going on our first Princess cruise,(sixth cruise total) it is already paid for. Is this article enough to make me cancel? No of course not. :p

But...... we have a suite booked and being our sixth cruise we are still feeling out the cruise lines to see which we like best, all I can say is if Princess doesn't impress me with their service, I will probably never book with them again. I hope this won't be the case, but after hearing about this, ( and I know other cruise lines are prob guilty too, I just haven't heard about it.) it gives me a very negative impression of Princess.:rolleyes:

Shirley please understand that the service you will receive on-board will we equal to or better than that provided by other cruise lines. This incident is a reflection on headquarters management and perhaps was exacerbated by the new Carnival mentality. I'm delighted that you were already booked and have no plans to cancel. It's the new cruisers out there who may not book Princess for the 1st time now that concern me.

I think I explained my position fully, and have taken some singeing as a result. I am sure every cruise line out there has similar policies when people fail to show up on time. Exceptions can and should be made under extreme or very unusual circumstances. I just don't believe that this is an example that rises to that level. This case is sad, but that's not enough.

As for the bad press...that's part of being in the service business. Remember, it was this lady's decision to return home rather than allow anyone the opportunity to get her to the ship. She does bear some responsibility here.

In today's Washington Post the lady and her daughter were profiled. They are lovely people,so grateful for the generosity of kind people. The Lady in ? never had enough money to pay for travel insurance. God Bless the kind hearts who made this into a positive experience for her. May we all know more people with kind hearts!

I think I explained my position fully, and have taken some singeing as a result. I am sure every cruise line out there has similar policies when people fail to show up on time. Exceptions can and should be made under extreme or very unusual circumstances. I just don't believe that this is an example that rises to that level. This case is sad, but that's not enough.

As for the bad press...that's part of being in the service business. Remember, it was this lady's decision to return home rather than allow anyone the opportunity to get her to the ship. She does bear some responsibility here.

Rob hopefully you don't think I was "singeing" you, just stating a difference of opinion. As far as the bad press - the Washington Post has a huge market and the articles may have created far more than Princess expected. Since that could ultimately impact me as an exclusive Princess cruiser ($$$) it worries me just a tad. Barb

No, not a bit, no worries. I'm taking a contrarian position that is unpopular so I expect a bit of a backlash. In a way, too, I see this as another example of the media treating cruise lines rather unfairly. The writer of the story even suggested that this might be a case for congressional investigation. That's a bit over the top.

Show where Princess did anything wrong, and I'll change my mind. So far, the arguments have been rather weak and based entirely on emotion.

Rob, there is the argument that Princess should not have scheduled a person of 78 years of age to try to have to make 3 flight connections. With air travel the way it is today, that is just asking for trouble (even for those of us younger and more agile). Nonstop or one stop flights usually doesn't cost much more and there is a less chance of malfunctions and cancellations. As Princess made the flight arrangements, then they should bear some of the responsibility for the missed flight and thus the missed cruise.

I have a feeling this 78 year old woman probably paid Princess with cash or check, otherwise she could have simply disputed the charges with her credit card company . . . did not receive services paid for. Sam

• 7 months later...

If they do it for her (give a credit) then they better do it for everyone. Many people save for a cruise and when did age become a reason for preferential treatment by Princess. It's unfortunate and sad but not Princess' problem.

I am 79 - book all our cruises myself - Personally, I wouldn't consider booking unless I could afford insurance as well - not now, and not when I was younger.We have had to use the insurance protection twice so far and I have been relieved that we had it. Sure its expensive but we treat it as part of the overall cost of the trip.

I am happy for the lady in question but I do think the moral of the story is - know the rules and protect yourself or be ready for the consequences.

If they do it for her (give a credit) then they better do it for everyone. Many people save for a cruise and when did age become a reason for preferential treatment by Princess. It's unfortunate and sad but not Princess' problem.

I totally agree with you. There should be no acceptions, for any reason.

If you can afford to pay for a cruise, and can't afford insurance, then you should be wealthy enough to just write off the cost if you have to cancel and loose the cruise/airfare price. If you can't afford to loose what you paid, BUY INSURANCE! Ignorance to the fact of 'not knowing' is NO EXCUSE. IMHO

I have to agree....we are in our older years also, but we still take out the insurance!! I hate paying it (and it isn't easy doing so...but we save) because with that money we could take a tour instead. But we decided it was much more important to be protected in case something would happen. There are thousands and thousands of people who cruise every year. I can't imagine the cruiselines being able to compensate all the people who have had similiar situations or even worse ones! WE save to cruise...we don't take it lightly....so why should one be given special reconition? There are others out there in worse situations. I am not being cold hearted...I feel for the woman, and I am happy that she is getting to go on her Alaskan cruise. But if she was not able to handle things, why didn't the daughter help her? Why did her companion get the insurance? Didn't she tell her friend that situations can happen? I know one thing...if I was offered to be taken to my next port....no matter how tired I was...I would have went! But I guess all's well that ends well. I just hope she realizes how fortunate she was! This proves there are a lot of loving people in the world. But don't blame Princess...they are just trying to do the best they can. After all....I'd say that most of their cruisers are older people! I know we are!

If we all counted all of the should haves in our life, we all would be leading different lives, none of us are perfect and we cannot make every mistake come out right but when we as family, friends, neighbors or just concerned humans reach out and help give someone a second chance to do it right, I think that is great. I bet the people that helped make this happen for this elderly lady got as much joy out of the situation as the lady did in getting to take this trip. I love being a part of a miracle. What goes around comes around.

I have to agree....we are in our older years also, but we still take out the insurance!! I hate paying it (and it isn't easy doing so...but we save) because with that money we could take a tour instead. But we decided it was much more important to be protected in case something would happen. There are thousands and thousands of people who cruise every year. I can't imagine the cruiselines being able to compensate all the people who have had similiar situations or even worse ones! WE save to cruise...we don't take it lightly....so why should one be given special reconition? There are others out there in worse situations. I am not being cold hearted...I feel for the woman, and I am happy that she is getting to go on her Alaskan cruise. But if she was not able to handle things, why didn't the daughter help her? Why did her companion get the insurance? Didn't she tell her friend that situations can happen? I know one thing...if I was offered to be taken to my next port....no matter how tired I was...I would have went! But I guess all's well that ends well. I just hope she realizes how fortunate she was! This proves there are a lot of loving people in the world. But don't blame Princess...they are just trying to do the best they can. After all....I'd say that most of their cruisers are older people! I know we are!

I agree. Being old(er) and taking a cruise or flights is not Princess' fault or problem. Its also not the an excuse. Young people could have had the same flight issues - or handicapped - or ones with small children. I think if it was a problem then the daughter should have helped. Phone calls could have been made in advance and damage control done. I make sure that my mother's plans are taken care of so there is minimal things that could go wrong. She is informed and knows what to do if something does goes wrong. She is 79. She can out work most of the people younger then her and she's sharp as a tack, but she is still older and getting frailer. Should she have gotten special treatment. No, I don't think so. If my mom wants to take a cruise and I'm worried about it, I'll go with her.

I just got an email from the elderly lady's daughter. Thanks to an anonymous donor and others, the lady and her friend are on the ship for their Alaska Dream Cruise!

The daughter will send pictures when she can.

What a wonderful story!

what cruise line did they go with this time? Nice that she and friend will finally get to go.

Archived