Cruisers Who Walk......

sail7seas

The music I listen to while walking will vary. I have a playlist of about 4 dozen songs that are fast-paced and good for walking: their genre includes jazz, classical, big band, "old-time-rock 'n roll," contemporary "club" music, etc. Nothing slow. I love to set my iPod to pick one at random from that list. To warm up and cool down I set it to play one of several hundred quieter classical pieces, and usually have it select one at random.

Lisa........

Want to share what music you enjoy walking to?

I have a large variety of music I walk to depending on my mood. I espeically like walking to Phil Collins I really like a lot of his music they have a really good beat and I can walk a brisk walk to the beat of a lot of his songs (but then I am only 5 ft tall with short legs) I usually start out my walk with Come Sail Away by Styx. I also like some Christian artists like Michael W Smith his music is sometimes good to walk to. Yet I also like some Country Artists like Dixie Chicks or Alans Jackson, yet another day I might pick Paul Mc Cartney. I like songs that are good to sing along with also luckily no one hears me:eek:

Phil Collins Greatist hits is a good CD as well as Fleetwood Mac's Greatist Hits.

As you can tell I am all over the place as far as music goes.

Living in the Seattle area I enjoy having a treadmill at home when the weather doesn't permit a nice walk in the botanical gardens. On a ship, I can't get into using the treadmills, I enjoy the wrap around decks especially, even in cold weather, you can bundle up and have a nice stroll.

Tina

Maasdam soooo soon ! Sept. 18

At home my walking is all on the treadmill. The outdoor air quality usually is not so great here in southern California, so I use a treadmill at home and at the gym.

On the ship I do some of both. I love the clean sea air, so if the weather is not too blustery I'll walk on the promenade deck, but I also try to get some time in on the treadmill as well.

On the ship we always walk on the LP deck, try to do at least 2 miles twice a day. We especially enjoy walking late in the evening just before we head for bed. The deck is mostly un-inhabited and it is so enjoyable to feel the ocean breeze and hear the waves. Hubby usually starts in a counter-clockwise direction so I go along. When I walk alone I walk clockwise so I can smile at or greet the others doing their counter-clockwise laps. On longer cruises with lots of sea days it is a good way to get acquainted, just having an occasional brief exchange with other pax as we walk.

I never use a treadmill at home, never feel secure on one. Our small city has a really nice walking track at one of the parks, so I use that in decent weather. Otherwise I walk the inside track at the YMCA. It is really boring but I borrow books on tape at the library and often lose track of time and walk a whole lot longer than I planned.

Walk outside, the only way to go - I seem to have a knack while on ship to wake up just as we are getting near port. Always a great time to be up and watch the ship/sights come to life. Have gotten great sunrise pictures that way, too.

At home if I go for an outside walk, it is strictly for pleasure. I find that to get a good workout I need to go to the gym. There I do both weightlifting and the elliptical machine.

On the ship I also will probably just walk the LP for enjoyment. On my last cruise I jogged on their jogging track. Lots of fun while at sea. Running towards the bow takes a lot of effort since you have a 20 knot head wind. But the other way you pretty much just lift your feet and let the wind do the rest.:D Also, using the gym was very nice, looking out the all glass enclosure made for a very peaceful workout.

Archived