Why,Why,Why The Obsession

I'm not really sure. I guess because Lobster was always one of those cruise ship traditions. Captains cocktails, italian night, baked alaska, midnight buffet, and lobster. I don't really mind too much, I won't stop cruising for sure, but I think its just another part of the old luxurious, traditional cruise experience that is going away and people hate to see it change. This week will be my DH's very first cruise and I am a bit disappointed that he will not have the same kind of experience I had on mine. The elegance, the servers who spoke very little English but seem to have been bred for kindness and thoughtfulness, the small ship with the corny entertainers, and yes...the lobster tail:o .

I think this depends on where you live, or where you grew up. Of course, those that have access to lobster on a regular basis and an inexpensive price aren't going to like or appreciate what is served onboard. But for some that are landlocked, or don't get the opportunity - it just adds to the cruising experience. I always like to try new foods when I am on a cruise... others use it is as their time to eat lobster.

I have had good lobster & bad lobster. The ones on the cruises that I have been on, haven't been too bad. Although, I will admit, I am much more picky about my lobster if I paid for it at a restaurant. :D

Why is there such an obsession on the boards regarding lobster? I guess I just don't understand. Is a lousy warm water lobster tail that taste like rubber that important to change someone's mind about going on a cruise?

I would like to know too! Maybe they don't have seafood restaurants close by, or maybe they don't want to go out and pay the market price for lobster. So they may look forward to the lobster dinner on the ship. The lobsters that we have had on most cruises is really nothing to rave about, with the exception of the most recent cruise. That one was about two weeks ago and the lobster was suprisingly good. I originally did not order the lobster, but everyone at the table said it was really good and not only that it was actually a nice size. It is not a big thing for us, we go out to eat quite often and quite often we have lobster.

Annieeee

Totally agree, it's not so much the lobster. Most who have an issue just see it as another cruise nuance that might disappear. I personally don't put too much stock in the whole lobster night experience, I'm happy with just a good meal and great company..... but that's me.

Totally agree, it's not so much the lobster. Most who have an issue just see it as another cruise nuance that might disappear. I personally don't put too much stock in the whole lobster night experience, I'm happy with just a good meal and great company..... but that's me.

I'd love to have dinner with you, Kenny, no matter WHAT is on the menu. :)

You know if it were real Lobster and I mean from Maine I could understand people being upset but that's not the case and besides Royal is not taking what they call lobster away, if you read RCL did an about face and will be serving those little crawdaddys on 7 day or more cruises. So for everyone who is upset you can all take a collective sigh, have yourself a zen moment, breathe deeply and just relax and enjoy the peudo lobster. The whole lobster thing has gotten out of hand oops I meant claws oops the ones they are serving do not have claws.

Why is there such an obsession on the boards regarding lobster? I guess I just don't understand. Is a lousy warm water lobster tail that taste like rubber that important to change someone's mind about going on a cruise?

I don't get it either. One person even said the would cancel their cruise if it isn't offered?!?!:rolleyes: We tried it on Mariner and Navigator and wouldn't order it again if it is on the menu. Small, dry, rubbery. I think if Burger King offered lobster it would probably be better:D

I don't get it either. One person even said the would cancel their cruise if it isn't offered?!?!:rolleyes: We tried it on Mariner and Navigator and wouldn't order it again if it is on the menu. Small, dry, rubbery. I think if Burger King offered lobster it would probably be better:D

One large Nipper meal with an extra side of Butter please, oh yes and champagne for the drink:)

Totally agree, it is not the lobster tail per se but what it represents, an end to another long standing cruise tradition.

Is it also a long standing tradition that diners eat several lobsters during one dinner?

I can not believe how "greedy" some diners are when it comes to lobster.

It's another mystery in life. But then again, you have plenty of people who think of chain food restaurants as fine dining around here on CC :rolleyes:

I'll take this a step further and wonder why in the world people need to know what is on the menu for dinner before they set foot onto the cruise ship????? Personally, I don't usually pay attention to the menu until I'm seated.

I'm always confused as to why people need to know the activities offered before they leave home. I look through the daily newsletter to see if there is anything I feel like attending, otherwise it's all pure relaxation for us, no need to run hither an yon for entertainment. We don't miss a thing, even when all we do is lay on lounge chairs all week.

I don't eat Lobster but my friends and relatives love eating it on cruise ships. Why? Because we do not live on the East or West Coast where fresh Lobster is readily available and on the rare occasion when you can find a fresh Lobster it can be quite expensive.

the lobster just represents the trend toward cutbacks by RCI... order a meal with asparagus - you get two spears; order off menu and you get simply awful food; etc., etc.

JMHO

LL

Totally agree, it is not the lobster tail per se but what it represents, an end to another long standing cruise tradition.

Ditto.

And when in Atlanta, try the fried lobster tail at Pano's & Paul's, the signature dish at one of our city's signature restaurants. (No, I don't work for them or do their advertising, just sharing a recommendation of a dining treat with others that is sort of related to the thread topic).

Wasn't fond of my RCI lobster tails, so the loss is the tradition/idea of dining on lobster. They were larger, better, more graciously served with second delivered along with the first, on Disney's 7 night cruises that we took. (I mentioned up front I knew I'd want another, and our waiter simply brought 2 for everyone at the table).

What I think we are seeing here, other than the fuel surcharge, is a realignment of the industry. RCCL is adjusting itself to be more of the mass market cruise ship, sort of in line with Carnival but with a little more deluxe appearance. It's just like how auto manufacture They want to keep the prices in line for this kind of market thus are cutting back in some areas and leaving the more traditional, and more expensive items for other cruise lines that they own. Look at the ships themselves; bigger, with more sports areas and activities.

Why the obsession? Who knows, but I can think of many things I'd like different, too. It's just I don't want them bad enough to go to another cruise line and pay for them.

I don't get it either. At this point you can get better lobster just about ANYWHERE in the US (except maybe Alaska but considering Alaskan crab, they probably don't care much about lobster anyway) and while it may be "expensive," it would still be less than...say...going on a cruise!

I really got a laugh on the new england cruise when it was still just the same old rock lobster tails. We just left Bar Harbor yesterday, what gives?

I do get the bit about the "cruise tradition" but the low-end cruise lines are what they are. There are cruise lines where you can enjoy all the great traditions of cruising, but of course you gotta pay for that.

It's another mystery in life. But then again, you have plenty of people who think of chain food restaurants as fine dining around here on CC :rolleyes:

I'll take this a step further and wonder why in the world people need to know what is on the menu for dinner before they set foot onto the cruise ship????? Personally, I don't usually pay attention to the menu until I'm seated.

I'm always confused as to why people need to know the activities offered before they leave home. I look through the daily newsletter to see if there is anything I feel like attending, otherwise it's all pure relaxation for us, no need to run hither an yon for entertainment. We don't miss a thing, even when all we do is lay on lounge chairs all week.

We would get along great - I don't get it, either.

I don't care what the Day 3 appetizers are until I'm sitting down to dinner on Day 3.

I don't chase the activities nor plan my day around them, usually not participating at all. I don't need constant entertainment, it's not what I'm there for. I'm all for relaxation in a lounge chair, but I won't pick one near the pool! That's another popular thing that doesn't appeal to me - sitting around the pool all day. Oh well, to each his own. It's good that there's something for everyone!

But lobster - I want it. It's not make or break, but it's not something I'm likely to order at a restaurant because it's so expensive. It's special.

Archived