Canadians: Carnival abandons fuel surcharge

Davey Interweb

Heh, well, not quite. But, it looks like those Canooks who have already booked a cruise before the fuel surcharge announcement won't be required to pony up the extra cash. A letter has been faxed to Canadian travel agents directly from Carnival; here's their language pretty much verbatim:

"Due to provincial restrictions for Canadian travel agencies - the fuel supplement does not apply to those bookings made prior to November 7th (the day the fuel supplement went into effect) for cruise departing on, or after February 1st 2008"

One caveat, however. It appears that Canadians who booked directly with Carnival will still be required to pay the fuel surcharge, even on bookings made prior to their original announcement.

I just received the letter from Carnival advising that the fuel surcharge now does not apply to my August 08 cruise since it was already booked on Nov 7th when the announcement was made. It applies to new bookings only.

I booked directly with Carnival, so looks like it isn't just for those booked through a TA.

I just received the letter from Carnival advising that the fuel surcharge now does not apply to my August 08 cruise since it was already booked on Nov 7th when the announcement was made. It applies to new bookings only.

I booked directly with Carnival, so looks like it isn't just for those booked through a TA.

Thanks for the update.. I must get in touch with my TA regarding Princess!

Well that is good news, since the notice said provincial regulations I hope it applies in Ontario as well. Time to fire off an email to my PVP I think.

Well that is good news, since the notice said provincial regulations I hope it applies in Ontario as well. Time to fire off an email to my PVP I think.

Apparently ON and BC provincial laws are what kicked this off.

I guess it just goes to show that if you're going to do business in a foreign nation, best to bone up on the applicable laws and regulations first.

well that is good news, although I believe it should apply to all bookings made before Nov,/07/2007, there will be some long talks on this, my TA just went ahead and put it on my account and never even told me about it , I paid on Nov,/25 Final payment, I guess He and I will be having a good talk tomorrow ,

sailorwife

well that is good news, although I believe it should apply to all bookings made before Nov,/07/2007, there will be some long talks on this, my TA just went ahead and put it on my account and never even told me about it , I paid on Nov,/25 Final payment, I guess He and I will be having a good talk tomorrow ,

sailorwife

If you were booked prior to November 7, you're fine. No surcharge.

I am so jumping for joy. We booked (through a TA) and had the final payment made already when they announced the fuel surcharge. I was worrying how they would make us pay for that, but now I won't!!!!!!

Now all we have to do is go in and get our refund for the air portion, which we will have to do on our own since Carnival wanted to book us on the most ridiculous flights, but they were the cheapest.....We'll end up even when we book the flights (thank the stars for airmiles--one of us can fly on airmiles!), hotel, and air transfer from Houston to Galveston.

Apparently ON and BC provincial laws are what kicked this off.

I guess it just goes to show that if you're going to do business in a foreign nation, best to bone up on the applicable laws and regulations first.

What laws might that be:confused:

Evidently I have heard that the brits are also exempt from this charge.

We got the letter from Carnival by email fax today - the surcharge no longer applies to our August /08 cruise. We booked directly with our Carnival PVP prior to November 7th. Letter does not mention Ontario Regulations, just 'after further review...fuel supplement will not apply'.

Anyway, great news !!

I can only guess that Carnival was not aware their Ouija board (the one they use for critical business decisions) came in an international version. Ooopsie!

Glad I did not go ahead and pay the surcharge for our Nov 08 cruise (booked and paid for way back in June o7) - I saw it on line after the announcement but just went and checked and we are back to $0 YAY. Would not have been a really big deal but $60 is $60. Now I can buy something else on one of the islands!!

Archived