Canadians: Carnival abandons fuel surcharge

Davey Interweb

No rebate for this Canadian. I called Carnival this morning. My PVR no longer works there. I was never notified about the surcharge but have seen that it was added to my account. My new PVR was not interested in what I had told her and wouldn't give me the rebate. I have asked her to look into this and get back to me, haven't heard from her yet. Wish me luck.

You're definetely entitled to it if the rest of us are.

I called my TA this morning and she had just received a fax about it today from the Carnival Canada representative.

No rebate for this Canadian. I called Carnival this morning. My PVR no longer works there. I was never notified about the surcharge but have seen that it was added to my account. My new PVR was not interested in what I had told her and wouldn't give me the rebate. I have asked her to look into this and get back to me, haven't heard from her yet. Wish me luck.

Just heard back from the PVR and you are all right. She looked into it and it only applies to Canadians. She said it has to do with provincial legislation regarding increases after you have booked a confirmed rate. She is removing and thanked me for my call. She said she may not have seen it for a few days if I hadn't let her know.

Saw my TA first thing this morning as soon as she saw me she said yes I know lol. I told her just to have them put it as onboard credit and I now have 120.00 credit on my sail and sign account wooooooooooohooo. Put it towards my tips i guess. I do hope Carnival carries this through to all sailings prior to November not just us Canadians.

I have contacted Carnival, Said it was hogwash about Canadians not having to pay..... Not sure what the real story is... Has anyone had the fee waived? If so were you booked with Carnival ? or a Canadian agency ?

The letter came from Vicki Freed, Senior VP, Sales and Guest Services. I would call Carnival again and refer specifically to the letter.

Humm....

I am booked on Costa (owned by Carnival Corp.) and booked my cruise back in June. I recieved both an e-mail and a letter saying I had to pay fuel surcharge. I wonder if this recent news might apply to us too. We live in Quebec but booked directly with Costa.

So far I am confirmed that I don't have to pay the surcharge for my 2nd cruise (booked through Canadian TA).

But no word yet on first cruise which was booked through a US TA.

I don't think I should be penalized for booking through a US TA when Canadians who booked through a US Carnival PVP don't have to pay the surcharge.

I have contacted Carnival, Said it was hogwash about Canadians not having to pay..... Not sure what the real story is... Has anyone had the fee waived? If so were you booked with Carnival ? or a Canadian agency ?

Well some on this thread who booked both direct and through a TA have reported getting the FC back, I doubt they are lying.

Remember, this only applies to bookings made before the announcement (7 November).

We booked through a PVP in May for a Feb 08 cruise.

I just got off the phone with him and he said they would have a computer program up and running in the next 48 hrs. to give a refund or obc to Canadians. He wasn't sure which it would be, did not say on the memo he had.

So I'll call back if nothing changes on my reservation by Friday!

Perhaps she misinterpreted what you had asked, or she's simply misinformed? Note that the fee is being waived for Canadians who had booked prior to their initial announcement of the surcharge. Canadians will still be responsible for paying the surcharge on sailings on or after February 1, like everyone else.

I've seen letters from both Carnival (from Vicki Freed) and HAL, it's legitimate, and many folks (myself included) have already had the charge removed.

I hope I'll be as lucky as all the Canadians who booked before Nov 7 through a PVP and got the surcharge removed. I booked through Carnival Vacation Club using my points. I haven't heard a thing from them yet about the surcharge so I'm not even sure if the surcharge applied to CVC bookings in the first place.

First I had to email my Carnival PVP to complain about having to find out about the fuel surcharge on this board instead of directly from Carnival.

Now I will have to email him to further complain Carnival did not let me know about the extra cost being cancelled. Very poor pr on their part.

The $40 surcharge is still on my account but I will give Carnival til this Friday to remove it or I will give them a blast from the Great White North.

Carnival should remove this extra from all bookings before Nov 07 not just us Canadians. :cool:

So far I am confirmed that I don't have to pay the surcharge for my 2nd cruise (booked through Canadian TA).

But no word yet on first cruise which was booked through a US TA.

I don't think I should be penalized for booking through a US TA when Canadians who booked through a US Carnival PVP don't have to pay the surcharge.

Hi,

I have the same situation going on. I am a Canadian who booked with a US TA a few months ago for a November 08 sailing.

I sent the TA an email to let her know about the surcharge fee waiver for us (We have booked 8 cabins with her)

She replied that this does not apply to us because although the 16 of us are Canadians we booked with a US TA.

I phoned Carnival, spoke with a guy named Kevin. He said we definately do not have to pay if we are Canadians regardless of who we booked with. I asked him if he could double check this info as the TA does not know this. He read the briefing that he had to me confirming the details. One good point he made is that if we had booked directly with Carnival we would get the waiver and they are located in the States so what difference does it make.

I'm waiting to hear back from our TA. Hopefully with good news :)

I booked directly with Carnival prior to Nov. 7 and have not paid in full yet, but called Carnival and told them that it was illegal to charge a Canadian this supplement as we are protected by Consumer Protection laws. The girl sounded surprized but checked it out and told me they would remove the supplement over the next couple of days & note on the file she spoke to me. At my request, she even sent me a confirmation of this via email.

Yahoo! - thanks for the tips - it's great to be Canadian!!!

I received my statement today and as I'm typing this (10:00 p.m) I'm on hold with Carnival. Thank God I read this thread. Carnival did say that I shouldn't have been charged and are looking into reversing this (2 rooms = $140). So I'm holding right now and waiting............. keeping my fingers crossed. At first when I heard about the feul charge - it didn't make a difference to me, I wasn't going to let it ruin my trip..............

confirmed they are reversing the charge it will show up on my edocs tomorrow. Thank you all for bringing this our attention - happy sailing:D

I also got the email and deleted it thinking they where telling me about the s/c yet again, so thanks to these boards I went and retrived it Monday and called my PVP she didn't know anything about it so I forwarded her my email and she said they should all be done by Friday.

Checked today and still not done but as long as it is done before I have to make my final payment at the end of the month all is good.

I do think it is unfair that only Canadians get this benefit, but heck I am not going to complain.

I booked my cruise last March with Carnival in Miami directly

Kim

I just received the letter from Carnival advising that the fuel surcharge now does not apply to my August 08 cruise since it was already booked on Nov 7th when the announcement was made. It applies to new bookings only.

I booked directly with Carnival, so looks like it isn't just for those booked through a TA.

I got this letter emailed to me as well but when I called Carnival to confirm the credit (as I'mpayed in full already) they said it wasn't valid for those Canadians that booked with Carnival directly as it is a US agency. i don't know aout this one?!?:eek: Sounds like crap to me! I'm writing to the board of directors on this one...it just doesn't seem fair for those who booked and payed for cruise before the anouncement whether you are Canadian or not.

I got this letter emailed to me as well but when I called Carnival to confirm the credit (as I'mpayed in full already) they said it wasn't valid for those Canadians that booked with Carnival directly as it is a US agency. i don't know aout this one?!?:eek: Sounds like crap to me! I'm writing to the board of directors on this one...it just doesn't seem fair for those who booked and payed for cruise before the anouncement whether you are Canadian or not.

Save the ink and paper. Lots on here who booked direct are getting the surcharge back, there is a lot of confusion at Carnival over this right now.

It seems that us at CC are usually a week ahead of the Carnival rank & file. :D

Yeah, give it some time, when the dust settles, Im sure you will get your refund.

Hi,

I have the same situation going on. I am a Canadian who booked with a US TA a few months ago for a November 08 sailing.

I sent the TA an email to let her know about the surcharge fee waiver for us (We have booked 8 cabins with her)

She replied that this does not apply to us because although the 16 of us are Canadians we booked with a US TA.

I phoned Carnival, spoke with a guy named Kevin. He said we definately do not have to pay if we are Canadians regardless of who we booked with. I asked him if he could double check this info as the TA does not know this. He read the briefing that he had to me confirming the details. One good point he made is that if we had booked directly with Carnival we would get the waiver and they are located in the States so what difference does it make.

I'm waiting to hear back from our TA. Hopefully with good news :)

Thanks for letting us know what you heard...

My US TA is hearing different things everyday... so hopefully Carnival gets it straight and we hear some good news. :)

Just got home from making my final payment on my March 1st Freedom cruise and no surcharge to dispute!! (YEAH!!) My TA knew I was coming in today to "settle up" and she followed up with Carnival in advance and got it removed off of my final bill..... all is good!!!

Personally I believe the S/C should only have been applied to all new bookings for EVERYONE regardless what side of the boarder you call home. Fair is fair!!

Hi,

I emailed my PVP about Canadians not paying the surcharge. I am from Ontario, and booked directly with Carnival

I got an email from my PVP, and she wrote that 60$ would be put back on my credit card within 7 days.

My husband asked how I knew about this, and my son said "Because Mom reads the boards". I said "yes, all the time I spend on the boards has helped us save 60$". We all laughed.

Thanks for the info, too bad the Americans can't gain from this too. We should ALL get it back.

Brenda

Hi,

I emailed my PVP about Canadians not paying the surcharge. I am from Ontario, and booked directly with Carnival

I got an email from my PVP, and she wrote that 60$ would be put back on my credit card within 7 days.

My husband asked how I knew about this, and my son said "Because Mom reads the boards". I said "yes, all the time I spend on the boards has helped us save 60$". We all laughed.

Thanks for the info, too bad the Americans can't gain from this too. We should ALL get it back.

Brenda

That is too cute!!! Good for you:)

It does make me think if they will automatically give the surcharge back.....or only to those that ask.

Humm....

I am booked on Costa (owned by Carnival Corp.) and booked my cruise back in June. I recieved both an e-mail and a letter saying I had to pay fuel surcharge. I wonder if this recent news might apply to us too. We live in Quebec but booked directly with Costa.

Received similar letter and email from Costa for a Feb 24/08 cruise booked through Costa and paid in full prior to Nov 7/07. Called Costa earlier this week and I tried to pay the $70 - Response was that I could not pay until Dec. 16 (Sunday & 70 days prior). Possibly this was cushion room to give Costa time to generate new letters/emails clarifying no payment required.

Hi all - We're booked on HAL March 3rd 16 day South American sailing and gave our final payment this past Monday. I was reading this thread and figured that if Carnival Canadians are getting this refund, it would be pretty odd if HAL people, or Princess, or Costa or whatever wouldn't be entitled too. So I phoned my travel agent (who didn't know anything about it, I might add) however, he checked and phoned back with the news that HAL will be refunding by cheque to be sent out in the next few weeks. For us, this is $165.00 not going into their gas tank. (It can go into ours instead in the Crow's Nest!)

Archived