Canadians: Carnival abandons fuel surcharge

Davey Interweb

I received my Carnival Cruise Line important notice letter in the mail today regarding the fuel supplement charge that is being charged to our cruise next November.

I called Carnival to verify the fuel charge as I am Canadian. Alex at Carnival said that all Canadians who booked prior to Nov 07/07 would not be charged. I then looked at our Carnival account on line and the charge had been removed.

Now I wished I had booked my 2009 cruise.....Today is a great day to be Canadian. Now if their was some way to save on the airfare.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One caveat, however. It appears that Canadians who booked directly with Carnival will still be required to pay the fuel surcharge, even on bookings made prior to their original announcement.

We booked directly through Carnival and at first they charged us the fuel surcharge , but we got a letter a week later stating they aren't going to charge us as we booked in Aug 07. They sent us new invoices with the charges removed.:)

We booked directly through Carnival and at first they charged us the fuel surcharge , but we got a letter a week later stating they aren't going to charge us as we booked in Aug 07. They sent us new invoices with the charges removed.:)

Me too, but I had already paid in full, and now the money seems to have disappeared into the ether somewhere. :mad:

Have any Canadians who booked through a US TA had their fuel surcharge reversed? As Soccerfan had said "Kevin" from Carnival stated that Carnival is reversing the fee so it should not make a difference if you booked through a US TA or them. Both are American companies.

:cool: :cool: I booked directly with Carnival and had my charges reversed. It appeared on my last Visa statement as a refund. I agree the poster who said too bad they can't do anything about our airfare - we are from Thunder Bay and it is horrible how much we have to pay. We lucked out this time big time - but that's another story. Cindy:cool: :cool:

:cool: :cool: I booked directly with Carnival and had my charges reversed. It appeared on my last Visa statement as a refund. I agree the poster who said too bad they can't do anything about our airfare - we are from Thunder Bay and it is horrible how much we have to pay. We lucked out this time big time - but that's another story. Cindy:cool: :cool:

Did you have to contact Carnival about the refund or did they notify you?

After speaking with a lot of different people at Carnival, including a conference call with my TA and a Carnival supervisor, the fuel surcharge still applies to Canadians who booked with a US TA. :mad:

Anyone know what would happen if we ( Canadians) booked through Carnival and did not have to pay the surcharge, but before final payment we transfer our booking to a U.S. on- line agency. Would we then have to pay it even though our original booking was pprior to the Nov. 07 date?

Have any Canadians who booked through a US TA had their fuel surcharge reversed? As Soccerfan had said "Kevin" from Carnival stated that Carnival is reversing the fee so it should not make a difference if you booked through a US TA or them. Both are American companies.

My TA told me that Carnival told her today that are charge was processed on December 6/07. I have not seen any credit to my Visa and I have not received any correspondence from Carnival. I don't mind waiting, but now I'm wondering where it went. We booked through a Canadian TA. Any other experiences?? Perhaps we'll get an ob credit.

We booked through Travelocity.ca and haven't heard anything about being refunded. Guess we'll have to shake some tree branches at Carnival and watch a refund fall out.

Can't say I'm surprised that we already have multiple conflicting experiences regarding US travel agents.

We booked through a US TA on the Carnival Legend for Feb 3, and we were told today that we weren't eligable for the refund because it was a US TA. Sucks. :mad: Our TA talked to Carnival and was told that if we were direct through Carnival the refund would have been automatic but since the US TA would have been charged the surcharge they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything about it. Sucks. Kind of takes the edge off the cruise, for now, I know we'll get over it. Might try Carnival directly, maybe a different person will have a different take on things. Has anyone been successful with their refund through their US TA? Thanks, BTW this is our first cruise and I just discovered CC this week, and am learning a lot!:)

My TA told me that Carnival told her today that are charge was processed on December 6/07. I have not seen any credit to my Visa and I have not received any correspondence from Carnival. I don't mind waiting, but now I'm wondering where it went. We booked through a Canadian TA. Any other experiences?? Perhaps we'll get an ob credit.

Have your TA call Carnival again today. Same thing happened to me. Apparently it was posted as being credited to VISA but... they forgot to press the next step (button) and actually didn't credit the Visa. You may have had the same person doing the data entry as I did and she was having a "BRAIN FART DAY". Call today! If no results open up a discrepancy file with VISA. They will go after them for you.

Good Luck :)

We booked through a US TA on the Carnival Legend for Feb 3, and we were told today that we weren't eligable for the refund because it was a US TA. Sucks. :mad: Our TA talked to Carnival and was told that if we were direct through Carnival the refund would have been automatic but since the US TA would have been charged the surcharge they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything about it. Sucks. Kind of takes the edge off the cruise, for now, I know we'll get over it. Might try Carnival directly, maybe a different person will have a different take on things. Has anyone been successful with their refund through their US TA? Thanks, BTW this is our first cruise and I just discovered CC this week, and am learning a lot!:)

Best of Luck on trying to get this refund. If you do, I think you'll be the first!

Archived