Canadians: Carnival abandons fuel surcharge

Davey Interweb

Ok. We booked our cruise last Feb. and they added the fuel charge to our bill on or around the 8th so do I call our PVP and have him remove it or what Helpppppp?

Check your reservation online see if it has been removed.. if not put a call into your PVP.:) or wait for the email.. seems they are sending them out.

Awesome! I'm so glad I read this thread. I DID get an email on Friday but I just automatically deleted it, thinking it was yet another (5th) copy of the fuel surcharge notice. Yay! If I'm paid in full, will it just show up as OBC now or get refunded to the credit card??

Awesome! I'm so glad I read this thread. I DID get an email on Friday but I just automatically deleted it, thinking it was yet another (5th) copy of the fuel surcharge notice. Yay! If I'm paid in full, will it just show up as OBC now or get refunded to the credit card??

It may have been. Can you pull it out of the trash so we have confirmation?

So far we have BC, Ont. and Que. It would be nice to add Alta. and others.

Hoping it applies even if we are booked through Carnival directly... anybody from Ontario hear yet ?

We booked our cruise in October and just paid our $80.00 fuel surcharge recently. Haven't heard a word from my TA yet, but I'm certain I will ~ it may take a bit of time to call back all her clients. I feel really bad for her as some of her clients were really difficult when she called about the fuel surcharge. It didn't really matter to me, but I'll gladly take the refund.

We're from southwestern Ontario, dealing with a TA from Goderich. We are flying out of Detroit and sailing on Miracle on March 6th.

Merry Christmas everyone!

You can add New Brunswick to the refund list... I received my notification yesterday. We have two cabins booked on an 8 day Miracle cruise (taking along an attendant for our special needs son) -- so it will be really nice getting the monies back.

We booked our cruise in October and just paid our $80.00 fuel surcharge recently. Haven't heard a word from my TA yet, but I'm certain I will ~ it may take a bit of time to call back all her clients. I feel really bad for her as some of her clients were really difficult when she called about the fuel surcharge. It didn't really matter to me, but I'll gladly take the refund.

We're from southwestern Ontario, dealing with a TA from Goderich. We are flying out of Detroit and sailing on Miracle on March 6th.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I wonder how many Canadian clients did cancel because of the FS and now would like their cabin(s) back :) Plus Carnival can now charge more for the cabin, plus get the FS.

I wonder how many Canadian clients did cancel because of the FS and now would like their cabin(s) back :) Plus Carnival can now charge more for the cabin, plus get the FS.

Just goes to show, one shouldn't act hastily when emotions are high. ;)

I'm thinking not many if any at all. Seeing that most probably paid airfare and lodging. And ya all know how much air fare is from certain parts of Canada lol! And believe me corporate pretty much knew that IMO. They may be sleazy but their not stupid:D

I'm thinking not many if any at all. Seeing that most probably paid airfare and lodging. And ya all know how much air fare is from certain parts of Canada lol! And believe me corporate pretty much knew that IMO. They may be sleazy but their not stupid:D

If some Americans canceled, Im sure there were a few of our neighbors to the North that did the same. :)

Well, on one hand, things must be pretty tight if $70.00 for a 7 day cruise (for 2-4 people, same cabin) is enough to push you to cancel.

I understand about the idea of a "signed and paid" contract, but having said that, if the price of the cruise goes down and you see

it and call TA or PVP you get OBC or if not yet fully paid, reduced fare. It would have been more "fair" if once announced (ie Nov. 7/07)

the policy was for any "NEW" bookings (by anyone, anywhere) were subject to $5.00 p/p p/d fuel surcharge.

But honestly, if the $35.00 were hidden in the cruise cost none of us (consumers/cruisers) would have been any the wiser but the attempt

to "grab" the monies from all the previously booked cruisers is what lead to the situation we find ourselves in today.

The retroactive cash grab for previously booked cruises is the root of the problem and you can bet some "bean counter" spearheaded the effort.

As for the Canadians, Brits or whomever, if your government has consumer protection in place, more power to ya.

(ps, I am Canadian and booked with a Carnival PVP, but as yet have not received any info about the surcharge one way or the other,

although it IS on our outstanding balance due for April, 08)

. . . things must be pretty tight if $70.00 for a 7 day cruise (for 2-4 people, same cabin) is enough to push you to cancel.

Incorrect assumption. Although I'm very careful with my finances (due to great lessons learned from my parents and teacher), things weren't/aren't "tight" at all. The dollar amount wasn't the catalyst for my three cancellations.

I understand about the idea of a "signed and paid" contract . . .

Yep, that was the catalyst.

. . . if the price of the cruise goes down and you see it and call TA or PVP you get OBC. . .

I head out on cruise #35 in just a few days, and not once has a price reduction occurred. I've often read about those online and am jealous to have never experienced it, but since I do a lot of research for the best price sailings, and then book/pay them so far in advance, there seems to be little chance for me finding them any less expensive as the cruise gets closer. The price for my cabin this Saturday is now more than 200% higher than when I initially booked. (And as I've stated earlier, I intend to have a superb vacation cruise despite my personal disappointment with CCL's business decisions).

But honestly, if the $35.00 were hidden in the cruise cost none of us (consumers/cruisers) would have been any the wiser but the attempt

to "grab" the monies from all the previously booked cruisers is what lead to the situation we find ourselves in today.

I totally agree with your wording

I personally don't want to be Canadian (my Floridian blood is way too thin to deal with their brutal winters), but I certainly raise my glass of wine to toast them and their authorities for taking a stand and seeing it through . . . eh? :)

IMO NOt Fair!! I don't care where your from!!:D I don't care if you live in BFE its not fair!!!! Ok thats said!! The right thing for Carnival to do is to charge for new bookings not ones that have been booked or paid for before Nov. 7th!! They will get plenty of bookings after this date to help them out.

http://www.traveldailynews.com/pages/show_page/23633

The last November 7th announcement made by Carnival Corp., stating that a new retroactive fee will be imposed on passengers to cover rising fuel costs, has caused concern among Canadian travel agents. This surcharge was affecting their following North American brands: Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, Princess and Seabourn.

ACTA has raised this issue of retroactivity with Carnival pointing out that some laws and regulations in Canada should be further examined and could be challenged by this retroactive application.

ACTA has received confirmation from Carnival that:

1. Carnival Cruise Lines will not be charging the fuel supplement on bookings from Canada made before Nov 7, 2007.

2. Carnival Cruise Lines will be charging the fuel supplement on bookings from Canada made on Nov 7, 2007 or later but only for sailings departing Feb 1, 2008 or later.

3. The amounts of the supplement and the rest of the terms and conditions are detailed in their press release of Nov 7, 2007.

There will also be an official notification going out from Carnival to the Canadian agencies who have bookings on Carnival Cruise Lines. ACTA thanked Carnival for its collaboration in revising its policy.

I personally don't want to be Canadian (my Floridian blood is way too thin to deal with their brutal winters), but I certainly raise my glass of wine to toast them and their authorities for taking a stand and seeing it through . . . eh? :)

I totally agree:) No surprise eh:p

No rebate for this Canadian. I called Carnival this morning. My PVR no longer works there. I was never notified about the surcharge but have seen that it was added to my account. My new PVR was not interested in what I had told her and wouldn't give me the rebate. I have asked her to look into this and get back to me, haven't heard from her yet. Wish me luck.

Archived