Sick with worry about flights! HELP!

Babie

I'm a complete wreck with worry about an upcoming flight.

I've been reading horror stories about US Air.

I'm booked from Albuquerque to San Juan, PR Sunday (tomorrow!) Arriving in San Juan around noon on Monday (the day of the cruise)

The only flight I could get has several connecting flights.

I leave Albuquerque and fly to Phoenix, AZ. I have about an hour between flights there then fly from Phoenix to Las Vegas, NV. I have about 2 hours between flights in Vegas. Then fly from Vegas to Philadelphia. I have about an hour between flights there before boarding the final flight from Philly to San Juan.

Someone ease my mind, please!

I was originally only worried about my luggage making it. I've managed to ease that by only taking carry on luggage (for an 11 day cruise! I rock!) but now I'm worried about not getting ME to San Jan on time.

OK, I'm finished whining for now.

Any advice or "comfort" is greatly appreciated.

First off, there really isn't much you can do so worrying about all of this won't help.

I have to admit that I am amazed that you will be able to only take carry on lugggage with you for the cruise and not have to check in any bags. Did you verify that what you plan to carry on is allowed by the airline?

Good luck with tomorrows flights and hopefully they will all be on time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Keith

I agree with Keith, you need to calm down. Worrying about the flights will not help. Who booked your flights? Three changes and a overnight along the way is not a lot of fun.

As to carryon, make sure there are no liguids or gels, etc in your carryon in containers larger than 3 oz. These containers must be in a 1 quart clear ziplock baggie. If the container is over 3 oz., TSA will take it at security. Note: the container cannot exceed 3 oz. If you have a 6 oz container with 1 oz. of liquid in it, they will take it.

Turn it around. Worry should become excitement. You will be on a great adventure that will lead to memories and stories that you will treasure for the rest of your life.

Just stay organized and calm, try to enjoy all the new experiences.

We once arrived at the airport to go to Las Vegas with air tickets in hand (oops showing my age there) to find out that our TA never made final payment on the air so we did not really have a reservation. We had to go from carrier to carrier looking for a seat on a plane (we were on a cheapie charter flight) till we found two seats that we had to pay for with cash with no idea if there would be a return seat available. Great laughs and memories now!!!

You can DO it!

The checkin staff at ABQ for US Airways is one of the best I've encountered. What I would do is try to throw yourself on the mercy of the staff and ask if they can get you on the Phoenix-Philadelphia redeye instead of the Las Vegas-Philly. It will cut out one connection and maybe make the trip that much easier.

Otherwise, take a deep breath, relax, and just think of the cruise coming up. Enjoy the cruise!

I somewhat agree with billybob123. The BIGGEST problem on your schedule is LAS/PHL, with the one hour connection. IF the flight from LAS is late into PHL, the only option you have is the 9:35AM flight to SJU. Doesn't arrive until 2:30PM. Don't know what time your cruise leaves, but if it is 4-5PM, you are cutting it very close.

Since you are not leaving ABQ until later in the day, how about trying to fly standby on the 6:00AM flight to PHX, then you have quite a few choices to get you to PHL. Almost all the nonstops out of PHX are quite full or overbooked. However, there is a flight that leaves at 1:10PM for Washington, DC, connecting to a regional jet, arriving PHL at 9:00PM that has plenty of seats available. Flight 42, connecting to 1341.

Rearranging your flights and taking standby's is your only real option unless you want to pay the change fee and possibly more airfare. Good luck!!!

PS-it's raining steadily in PHX. Has been since yesterday afternoon. Supposed to continue until late tomorrow. Sky Harbor is backed up about 30 minutes right now-should get better as the day goes on. Just be prepared.

First off, there really isn't much you can do so worrying about all of this won't help.

I have to admit that I am amazed that you will be able to only take carry on lugggage with you for the cruise and not have to check in any bags. Did you verify that what you plan to carry on is allowed by the airline?

Good luck with tomorrows flights and hopefully they will all be on time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Keith

I've double checked with the airline and TSA. I'm taking the small rolling suitcase that they sometimes call "Captain Bags" Because so may in the airline industry use that size for their things. It's actually smaller than a backpack that I normally use as carry on.

The checkin staff at ABQ for US Airways is one of the best I've encountered. What I would do is try to throw yourself on the mercy of the staff and ask if they can get you on the Phoenix-Philadelphia redeye instead of the Las Vegas-Philly. It will cut out one connection and maybe make the trip that much easier.

Otherwise, take a deep breath, relax, and just think of the cruise coming up. Enjoy the cruise!

That's the flight I originally wanted but it was either sold out when I was ready to book or the price had gotten really high on that particular flight.

Thanx for the advice and info folks!

I'm not as worried as I was early this morning when I first read the posts about US Air.

If something happens, I'll live. I can't control it, and like someone said, the excitement of the cruise is outweighing the worry over flight issues!

Worst case, I get to San Juan after the ship leave at 8pm and have to fly to St Marrten to catch up with it.

Thanx again everyone! :D

I'm not as worried as I was early this morning when I first read the posts about US Air.

Well there is your first problem. Stay off the boards for the rest of the day.:D

Seriously, good luck as everyone including yourself has said, it's out of your control. Take a deep breathe and hope for the best.

I fly a whole lot (guy is in San Fran, I'm in Miami.) The best thing you can do is stand by for something earlier. You might not make it, but you might! That 6am flight that was mentioned is a *great* one to try - the first flight out normally ends up with seats since people miss it. (Of course, you also have to be at the airport stupid early.)

If you are still really, really worried see if you can add on last minute travel insurance.

If you are still really, really, really worried...well, have a drink. Or three. This is vacation! It'll be awesome.

Well there is your first problem. Stay off the boards for the rest of the day.:D

I actually just told my roll call that I'd be trying to avoid cruise critic today to avoid running across anything else to make me worry LOL.

I have to clean and rearrange our apartment so we can get the Christmas tree up before I leave tomorrow!

Besides that, I'll spend all my other time playing "Carnival Cruise Ship Tycoon" I always play it like it's an addiction before I cruise.

If you are still really, really, really worried...well, have a drink. Or three. This is vacation! It'll be awesome.

That's always the best cure for any travel woes! I can just start with the foo foo drinks and champagne before I get on the ship *giggle*

We're expecting snow tomorrow (Sunday) in the Philadelphia area, as well as most of the Northeast. They expect it to change to freezing rain. I think that may work in your favor. Flights out of Philly will probably be delayed, thereby making the chances of you making your connection from PHL to San Juan more likely. I think things will back up in PHL and you'll have plenty of time to get there. I'll keep my fingers crossed, though, that flights aren't so delayed that you don't get to San Juan in a timely manner. However, your ship doesn't sail til 8 p.m., so I think you'll be fine. In either case, if there are a lot of flights arriving late because of weather, the cruise ship may delay sailing.

BTW, didn't ships used to leave San Juan at 10 p.m.?

BTW, didn't ships used to leave San Juan at 10 p.m.?

The Empress leaves at 8pm. From what I can see, the other RCI ships leave about the same time. The Adventure OTS leaves at 8:30pm.

It looks like RCI is trying to make their departure times earlier than other lines. Others still have 10pm - midnight departure time from what I can see with a quick search.

I leave for the airport in about 2 1/2 hours! :D

Why does Babie type in PINK font???? :confused:

And, who planned this Nightmare Itinerary? :eek:

Need Travel Insurance!!!!! :p

I type in pink because it's sort of a signature color (see my avatar pic... yup, that's pink hair)

I booked the trip myself on US Air's website. I put off booking until the last minute and this itinerary is all they had available in my price range. Stupid choice on my part really, but I only booked the cruise about 5 weeks ago.

I'm not worried anymore. None of my flights have been cancelled (so far) and the only one that may be delayed because of weather is Vegas to Philly. But there's a later flight from Philly to San Juan that will get me there just fine if I miss my original connection.

I'm shutting down and heading to the airport now. I'll update the thread on my flights once I get home on the 15th.

• 3 weeks later...

I had completely forgotten about this thread. Sorry for not updating before.

My flights were pretty uneventful. The flight from Philadelphia was delayed about 30 minutes because of mechanical issues. Once we boarded the plane, the issue hadn't been resolved so we had to sit onboard for a bit.

On my return flights, (San Juan to Charlotte, Charlotte to Vegas then Vegas to Albuquerque) there was a delay of about 45 minutes or so in Vegas.

The cruise was great! Can't wait to return to San Juan for a few days, and several of the ports were perfect. I didn't much like St. Maarten, Curacao, St. Lucia or St. Kitts, but I may do the same itinerary again on Feb 25th to give those 4 a second chance *wink*

I certainly plan on going back to my usual way of travel. Arrive at least a day precruise. The stress really made the anticipation for sailaway day bad. So I want to eliminate that from now on.

Oh, I had no problem taking only a small rolling suitcase (a 22") and my laptop. With nothing checked. I still managed to have 3 shirts I never wore!

Archived