Newbie with a few Century RT Barcelona questions

Simon08

Hello,

This is my first post here since I never really considered Celebrity before tonight. I've become really bitter about how Carnival has handled their fuel surcharge situation (specifically, charging us when we've already paid in full..). I'm hoping to cancel our two cruises with them, so I'm checking out other cruiselines for our honeymoon next September.

We're looking at Century's RT Barcelona Western Mediterranean cruise, which is 11 nights.

My questions:

*If the ship leaves at 6pm, is a 2.30 arrival in Barcelona pushing things too late? This is the absolute earliest we can get there unless we left 5 hours after the wedding and skipped brunch with relatives. How long does it typically take to get from airport to port and on the ship?

*Is it worth the extra cost to get an oceanview or balcony cabin for an 11-night? We have port stops almost every day, but we're considering the splurge. It would be an $800-2400 difference to upgrade from an inside cabin.

*How strict is Celebrity about sneaking on drinks?

*Any other tips about Celebrity? We're brand new to cruising and have only done a 4-night on Carnival, so our expectations are pretty low in general. We just want to be relaxed and a bit pampered on our HM. How does it compare to other lines?

Thank you!!

Hello,

*If the ship leaves at 6pm, is a 2.30 arrival in Barcelona pushing things too late?

That would DEFINITELY be too close for me to try it.

*Is it worth the extra cost to get an oceanview or balcony cabin for an 11-night? We have port stops almost every day, but we're considering the splurge. It would be an $800-2400 difference to upgrade from an inside cabin.

We love the verandas.

*How strict is Celebrity about sneaking on drinks?

Sometimes they are strict, sometimes not.

*Any other tips about Celebrity? How does it compare to other lines?

Thank you!!

Celebrity is our favorite main stream cruise line.

DON'T MISS THE WAFFLES! :D

If your plane is on time it's only a 30 minute drive from the airport to the cruise terminal so 2:30 is not out of the question. However Barcelona is a great city and I'd hate to miss it. I'd skip brunch and get there a bit early, personally.

You can bring a couple of bottles of wine on no questions asked. Other stuff you do at your own risk.

We've usually gone for a balcony when we can. It's great for sailaways and sail-ins. Definitely an oceanview though.

Just got back from that exact cruise, and on our transport from the airport was another honeymooning couple who were absolutely exhausted after all the post wedding partying and the long flight. I think you could make the connection but only if you have no air delays. Are you flying nonstop? A 6 o'clock departure usually means, on sail away, that you have to be all aboard by 5 so they can do the lifeboat muster before leaving. You might want to check with the company about the exact departure time.

I highly recommend an ocean view at a minimum--we had a huge balcony and loved it--although it is port intensive, there is lots of time when you are back on board at four or 5 and can enjoy the outdoors before going in to dress for late dinner. If you have early dinner it is less vital. We bought bottles of local wine in almost every port and brought them on board in our backpack and enjoyed them on our balcony! Never a problem, and you are allowed to bring two in your luggage. And in September the days will still be nice and warm and you will love being outdoors; starting to get a bit nippy when we were there in November.

Speaking of wine, it is about the only thing that's cheap! In some ports, cheaper than bottled water, no lie.

I think it is a GREAT idea to switch from Carnival--it's a huge difference.

Best of luck and congratulations!

Cathy

One other tip...if you decide to book this cruise, I'd book the air through Celebrity. If you DO have any air delays, they are responsible for getting you caught up with the ship, for hotels, etc. Also, this would be a great itinerary for that, as the ports are really close the first few days....you could probably drive to Marseille, and get there before the ship!

Also just did this cruise (Hi, Cathy!), and loved it! And we loved having a balcony...

Andrew

We also just did this trip and loved it. Andrew had good information about the ports which are indeed very close in the beginning.

I would also suggest you opt for late seating. You will spend full days in port and when you get back you would have to rush to get to early seating. We enjoyed watching sailaways, sitting on our balcony sipping wine and such before dinner. There was also time a drink before dinner in the martini bar!! Sounds like it's your honeymoon so I'd indulge in the balcony.

The ship really is lovely. I think you wll find it to be quite different from Carnival.

We did this trip in Sept 07 & enjoyed it very much. That departure time is pushing it . If nothing went wrong (like your flight departing late which happens alot at our airport JFK)...it could work. I'd be too nevous. We went two days ahead to enjoy Barcelona--one of the best parts of the trip--also stayed one day post cruise.

We always take a Balcony but this was so port intensive it is not a MUST unless you are a balcony fan..many days the ports visits are full 10 to 12 hrs hrs---

I would like to think that celebrity pax do not sneak beverages on board. Two bottles of wine per cabin are allowed & there is a store where you can purchase same in the terminal just before you board the ship--check out what you like ahead of time --mostly Spanish wines--our selections were not so great & high priced...

CONGRATS ON YOUR UPCOMING MARRIAGE!

Thank you for all your responses! I did a little more flight research and found an earlier flight arrival, so we can stay for brunch and still make the cruise.

Now all we have left to do is decide if we want the balcony. Thanks again!

Archived