Question about tipping on Celebrity

Alysia

I noticed that on Celebrity site it states that it's customary to tip the Assistant Chief Housekeeper. I know on RCCl, we never did and it was never suggested that we should. Do you really do that on Celebrity???

I noticed that on Celebrity site it states that it's customary to tip the Assistant Chief Housekeeper. I know on RCCl, we never did and it was never suggested that we should. Do you really do that on Celebrity???

I do also because it has been said many times that if you don't, they take the tip out of the steward's tip. I don't condone that but after spending thousands on a cruise, spending another 5 or 6 dollars is not a big deal. The stewards usually work very hard and hate to see them not get what they are due..

:D

Can you add the tips to your shipboard account?

If so, do you get vouchers and envelopes so you can add extra cash for excellent service?

Yes, to all of the above. You will get vouchers and envelopes, and you will most likely find the service excellent enough to want to add to them. I am looking forward to ten days on the Constellation later this week!

And what, pray tell, does the Assistant Housekeeper do, who is NEVER seen, to EARN a tip?:mad:

On all of my X cruises he has been there & when the cabin person gets bogged down we have seen them pitch in & help. I also know that on every deck we were on they are where the luggage is being brought up in the holding area by the elevator on your deck & they help with sorting it out. That alone is worth the tip especially if you are missing a piece. When we got Norvo on our first X cruise he constanly checked with us daily to see how we were feeling during quantine & when we both got better

In a word NO!

didn't on my first cruise with and don't plan to on my last cruise with Celebrity!

I prepaid our gratuities for our upcoming BtoB and just looked at what I was charged, which was $10.25 per day. We are booked in a suite, and according to Celebrity Faq's, the tips should be:

Assistant Chief Housekeeper .75

Stateroom Service 3.50

Assistant Maitre'd .75

Waiter 3.50

Asst Waiter 2.00

Butler 3.50

TOTAL 14.00

I would guess they didn't collect for the butler, but there is still a .25 per person per day discrepency. Anyone have any ideas?

I prepaid our gratuities for our upcoming BtoB and just looked at what I was charged, which was $10.25 per day. We are booked in a suite, and according to Celebrity Faq's, the tips should be:

Stateroom Service 3.50

Assistant Maitre'd .75

Waiter 3.50

Asst Waiter 2.00

Butler 3.50

TOTAL 14.00

I would guess they didn't collect for the butler, but there is still a .25 per person per day discrepency. Anyone have any ideas?

New math???;) :D I hope you have a great time on your B2B. Boy! Am I jealous!!!

Happy cruising!

Denise

PS - To the OP - We ALWAYS tip everyone on the list AT LEAST the suggested amount. Just because I don't see someone doing the work, doesn't mean they aren't doing it. Besides, I may need help getting into my safe some day!;)

Happy! Happy!

Denise

Stateroom Service 3.50

Assistant Maitre'd .75

Waiter 3.50

Asst Waiter 2.00

Butler 3.50

TOTAL 14.00

Al,

On our Infinity cruise in September, the suggested tip for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper was reduced from .75 to .50. The reduction explains the discrepancy with the FAQ's which have not been updated yet.

Dave

Al,

On our Infinity cruise in September, the suggested tip for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper was reduced from .75 to .50. The reduction explains the discrepancy with the FAQ's which have not been updated yet.

Dave

Thanks... that now makes it almost surely they forgot the butler. Will verify on board.

Al

• 1 month later...
:D

Yes, to all of the above. You will get vouchers and envelopes, and you will most likely find the service excellent enough to want to add to them. I am looking forward to ten days on the Constellation later this week!

So, you are saying that you need cash or not??? I am confused because envelopes mean putting money inside. I thought you could just use your onboard account to pay for everything for security reasons. Please reply.

bjrose;)

So, you are saying that you need cash or not??? I am confused because envelopes mean putting money inside. I thought you could just use your onboard account to pay for everything for security reasons. Please reply.

bjrose;)

Yes, one can pay utilizing your onboard account. Just notify Reception that you would like your gratuities added to your account.

No, we don't. We also don't tip the assistant maitre d' simply because he drops by our dining table occasionally to say hello. However, should either of these people make an accommodation for us, then I do tip.

Tipping for the sake of tipping, rather than providing a gratuity for service rendered? I don't think so.

No, we don't. We also don't tip the assistant maitre d' simply because he drops by our dining table occasionally to say hello. However, should either of these people make an accommodation for us, then I do tip.

Tipping for the sake of tipping, rather than providing a gratuity for service rendered? I don't think so.

Just as an aside, these two positions mentioned do A LOT of Back of the House jobs to assist the staff that you see on a daily basis.

The Assistant Maitre D's are there for the servers to make decisions that they can't. Any inquiry regarding dietary needs, or delays on food, food preparation, special requests, are dealt with via the Assistant Maitre D'... they do A LOT of Back of the House work, for the guests, which the guests don't see...

Although I was not in Housekeeping, the Asst Chief Housekeeper does just about the same. From inspecting each guest cabin on their assigned deck, to assisting with baggage handling and issues, to assisting the housekeepers in any guest request.

There is a chain in command, and for all of these line positions, they must check with their respective supervisor in order to make a decision.

Prior to working on ships, (on cruise vacation) my family and I always tipped the recommended amount, if not more, to all positions listed in the dailies/brochures. After working on board three different ships (two different cruise lines), I know that they all deserve every penny, if not more.

I have more details regarding salaries, etc in another thread.

Well said, RDelpapa.:)

Many times I have asked for something to be provided, both in my cabin and in the dining room, and have always had my requests met. I know for a fact that approval of special requests must come from the asst. chief housekeepers and the asst. maitre D's.

IMO, it's a small price to ensure good service above and beyond.

The argument that they deserve a tip because they do a lot behind the scenes doesn't hold much water for me. The officers also do a lot that impacts our vacation. You don't see them asking for tips for the Captain or the C.D. or the H.D. Not yet, at least.

Because the Asst. Maitre D's and Asst. Chief Housekeepers are in management positions and don't necessarily have the same face-to-face contact with guests, I'd prefer for them to be compensated fairly by the cruise line and leave tips out of it. However, because they tips are suggested, I have to assume that these people are NOT compensated fairly in the absence of tips. Therefore, I reluctantly give the suggested amount...

The argument that they deserve a tip because they do a lot behind the scenes doesn't hold much water for me. The officers also do a lot that impacts our vacation. You don't see them asking for tips for the Captain or the C.D. or the H.D. Not yet, at least.

Because the Asst. Maitre D's and Asst. Chief Housekeepers are in management positions and don't necessarily have the same face-to-face contact with guests, I'd prefer for them to be compensated fairly by the cruise line and leave tips out of it. However, because they tips are suggested, I have to assume that these people are NOT compensated fairly in the absence of tips. Therefore, I reluctantly give the suggested amount...

Senior Managers/Officers are compensated with a very high salary. I had a mid-range salary on board, therefore tips were not part of my contract.

Assitant Maitre D'/Housekeepers make a minimal monthly salary ($500/month); their contract entitles them to tips.

On NCL America, I was an Assistant Maitre D' - I was not part of the tip pool (Service Charge) because I had an extremely high salary, along with paid vacations, etc... whereas on Celebrity, Assistant Maitre D's do not.

I am sure if Celebrity, or any cruise line, were to begin to pay their Middle Management salaries that were comparable to land based hotels or equivalent, then they would not be included in the gratuity model.

To each his own, but I am just giving a little bit of info from what was my side of the experience. I also feel that I am lucky enough not only to have worked on board, but have been able to cruise over 30 times while growing up with my family and friends, so I am able to discuss both sides of the business.

Archived