Baggage Tipping

hvsteve1

Here's a last minute question on my upcoming cruise. On our Alaska cruise we had a transfer so didn't touch our luggage. In San Juan last year, I tipped the baggage handlers, but thought I saw something later that baggage on the docks is included in the no tipping policy. So, do we tip on the docks or not?

I was surpised that on my last cruise leaving from US, the baggage men were openly and verbally soliciting tips from those of us leaving luggage. It was intimidating to me, and I am normally a "quiet" tipper on board.

The baggage handlers in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are very aggressive about soliciting tips, even with big signs at the drop offs that say no tipping required. When I show up with four to six bags, I consider a $5 tip to be insurance. I have never had a lost or late bag. Maybe they would have gotten there anyway, but $5 is very cheap peace of mind. Besides I am on vacation and I don't spend my days hauling heavy bags on and off a ship.

When I picked up my luggage in Ft Lauderdale earlier in the year the handles on my carry on boke and we were a bit overwhelmed. I generous tip to the Baggage handler was well rewarded when we went out to look for a cab. The lines of debarking passengers was quite long. He waved to cab line and a cab peeled out and picked us right up!

Off SHore

Thinking about it, maybe I was confused by being on an all inclusive line and seeing signs at the San Juan dock saying that tipping wasn't necessary. I tipped, but thought that maybe the signs were posted by Regent as they had taken care of the baggage handlers themselves.

I agree, for the small amount you have to tip.....consider it insurance that your bag will get on the ship. I overheard a baggage handler in Miami tell an older couple.....when asked the very same question.......and he laughed and said......if you want to see your bags then you need to tip.

Pat

In November when we disembarked in Ft Lauderdale, we needed help getting our bags from where the bus stops to the checkin counter. We tipped the baggage handlers. However, as we got to the checkin line, a Regent representative came up and paid them for handling the baggage and made them give one couple their tip money back! We didn't admit to tipping them to let them keep the tips. So, Regent does take care of it but I really didn't like the way the representative handled it by making them give their tip back. On the other hand, they knew they were getting paid and so they were really very agressive!

My DW has two masters degrees and a CPA and just retired from a high-level state position, and I am an engineer at a large, rapidly growing company (can you say "stock options"...). My nextdoor neighbor (we bought our houses, new, at the same time 11 years ago) is a non-degreed airport curbside check-in baggage handler and his wife works part time in child care. Handling bags for people is very lucrative in the US....

The first time we ever cruised, it was out of Miami, and when the baggage handler took our bags for us we started to walk away (not knowing any better then) and he said "this would be the part where you tip." Of course, we then did - but we just didn't realize that it wasn't included in the tips that we had prepaid at the time (naive travelers). Now I tip everyone who touches my suitcase - shuttle drivers, airline curbside check in, port bag handlers, etc. I keep a stack of small bills handy - have to tip your way from leaving home until arrival in your cabin.:)

Archived