Oversold?

Simru12

We're booked on the Celebration over Christmas. I got curious if there were any cabins left, so I did the 'Book a Cruise' thing to check.

While there are no specific cabin numbers available (So I assume its Sold Out) they are still offering Guarantees on 4A, B and C. Does this mean it will be overbooked? If they sell a guarantee with no cabins listed, what happens to those people? This is not a huge deal to me and I assume they know what they're doing.... Just curious as to why?

We're booked on the Celebration over Christmas. I got curious if there were any cabins left, so I did the 'Book a Cruise' thing to check.

While there are no specific cabin numbers available (So I assume its Sold Out) they are still offering Guarantees on 4A, B and C. Does this mean it will be overbooked? If they sell a guarantee with no cabins listed, what happens to those people? This is not a huge deal to me and I assume they know what they're doing.... Just curious as to why?

I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a cruise ship overbooking or bumping anyone unless the cruise ship gets chartered by a very large group

I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a cruise ship overbooking or bumping anyone unless the cruise ship gets chartered by a very large group

Overbooking happens all the time. But you usually won't get bumped - the cruise line will make you an offer to try and get you to change, and they'll just sweeten the deal to random pax until someone switches.

Unless, of yourse, you were sailing from Baltimore on Carnival in 2004. A lot of people got involuntarily bumped off of those sailings.

On my upcoming cruise, it you try to just book, all the catagories are now Guarantee. But if you go under the past guest code, there are still rooms to choose.

That makes sense. They take care of past guests. Thanks for the explanation Skylock

Go over on the Princess board, it happens, cruises do get oversold. The one I was on last January at least 3 people I played bridge with had gotten phone calls to rebook in March instead with a generous OBC, or maybe it was half off a future cruise if they gave up their cabin. If those are the ones I ran into who said no, then there were lots more they called with offers.

Its also not the first overbooked cruise on Princess Iv heard of.

Go over on the Princess board, it happens, cruises do get oversold. The one I was on last January at least 3 people I played bridge with had gotten phone calls to rebook in March instead with a generous OBC, or maybe it was half off a future cruise if they gave up their cabin. If those are the ones I ran into who said no, then there were lots more they called with offers.

Its also not the first overbooked cruise on Princess Iv heard of.

I guess I have been lucky. Most of the cruises I have been on seem to always sail full.

I think I would have to seriously consider moving to another date if they offered a generous OBC!!

It does help living within driving distance of the ports I sail from, I know this isn't the case for probably 95% of everyone else. But man, that sounds like a sweet deal!

I think I would have to seriously consider moving to another date if they offered a generous OBC!!

It does help living within driving distance of the ports I sail from, I know this isn't the case for probably 95% of everyone else. But man, that sounds like a sweet deal!

If I lived near a cruise ship I wouldn't have to think twice about taking the offer

They won't be oversold on the day of sailing. The guarantees may be due to an upcoming change in cabins. Some people may have been assigned a guarantee cabin at a higher level than they purchased, and they will be moved to a lower category if they can sell the guarantee at a higher category for more money. If they sell more of a lower category then they fill those cabins instead.

I don't think Carnival oversells often. Remember entertainers and some other staff members are often put in regular cabins. If the ship runs out, guess who gets stuff below deck with the crew:confused: .

Also, I have seen several examples of passengers having problems with their cabins and being move to another cabin. This on the same cruises that are allegedly "full."

Therefore I surmise that in spite of being "fully booked", each ship keeps a selection of cabins on hand for emergency moves.

As far as only being able to book a guarantee cabin, I would say that the ship is not quite full but they have not completed all of their upgrades so they just want passengers to fill the gaps left once the upgrade fairy has done her (his?) thing.;)

Therefore I surmise that in spite of being "fully booked", each ship keeps a selection of cabins on hand for emergency moves.
I asked about that. Carnival does not hold back any cabins that it could sell just in case someone has a problem with their cabin.

However, a ship can be full without selling all the cabins. The ship must stop selling when the lifeboat capacity is reached. If there are a lot of third and fourth passengers in the cabins, the lifeboat capacity could be reached before all the cabins are sold.

HAL sold our cabin TWICE and got CAUGHT when we BOTH got our documents for the SAME cabin. HAL caught the problem and offered us another cruise date. We told HAL it was their problem and not ours. If they wanted to move us to another date give us a free cruise.

After a few phone calls between HAL, our TA and us all just 3 days before the sailing date HAL finally agreeded to give us a FREE 10 day cruise in lieu of our original 7 day curise and TOTALLY refunded our money. We than asked for an OBC and HAL came up with an additional $150 OBC to finally get us to agree to move our butts out of the original over sold cabin into the new 10 day FREE cruise.

Thus we got a 10 day cruise because HAL sold our cabin twice.

On board we found that this is standard practice to overbook a vessel because history proves that at the last minute people cancel or do not show up for the cruise. So HAL overbooks to maximize profit and a 100% sailing whenever possible.

I got a call from the cruise line that said my cruise Nov. 11 was over booked , I had a inside cabin , they told me if I changed my cruise to Dec. 16 they would give me a ocean view cabin and $300 obc. I would of changed but I had a problem ,I am booked already on the Dec. 16 Cruise.

HAL sold our cabin TWICE and got CAUGHT when we BOTH got our documents for the SAME cabin. HAL caught the problem and offered us another cruise date. We told HAL it was their problem and not ours. If they wanted to move us to another date give us a free cruise.

After a few phone calls between HAL, our TA and us all just 3 days before the sailing date HAL finally agreeded to give us a FREE 10 day cruise in lieu of our original 7 day curise and TOTALLY refunded our money. We than asked for an OBC and HAL came up with an additional $150 OBC to finally get us to agree to move our butts out of the original over sold cabin into the new 10 day FREE cruise.

On board we found that this is standard practice to overbook a vessel because history proves that at the last minute people cancel or do not show up for the cruise. So HAL overbooks to maximize profit and a 100% sailing whenever possible.

A FREE 10 DAY CRUISE!!! I would have no problem moving my cruise date. I could work around them

I asked about that. Carnival does not hold back any cabins that it could sell just in case someone has a problem with their cabin.

However, a ship can be full without selling all the cabins. The ship must stop selling when the lifeboat capacity is reached. If there are a lot of third and fourth passengers in the cabins, the lifeboat capacity could be reached before all the cabins are sold.

That is a good answer. However, I would think (and I believe I have heard announced during mustard dill) that there are "more than enough" seats on the lifeboats for everyone on board. Wouldn't it behoove the cruiseline to have at least as many lifeboat seats as there are beds? In which case, the lifeboats space wouldn't stop the cruiseline from selling every berth.

Just a thought even though what you say makes perfectly good logic.

O.K. I am going to ask this and I am NOT trying to be funny or a smarty pants but . . . .

(Morbid Question) Does the practice of HAL overbooking because "at the last minute passengers cancel or don't show up" have anything to do with the fact that HAL tends to cater to a more mature passenger base?:(

I have never enjoyed a HAL cruise but from what I understand, their core clientele are the retired set. An age group where serious illness and/or death has a highly occurrence than say, the average Carnival/RCCL passenger load.

I do know that Princess and HAL uses waitlists and will book standby passengers who are advised to either wait for a last minute phone call or sometimes just show up at the pier to see if there are any no-shows.

I really think this is because of the age of their passengers.:o

That is a good answer. However, I would think (and I believe I have heard announced during mustard dill) that there are "more than enough" seats on the lifeboats for everyone on board. Wouldn't it behoove the cruiseline to have at least as many lifeboat seats as there are beds? In which case, the lifeboats space wouldn't stop the cruiseline from selling every berth.

Just a thought even though what you say makes perfectly good logic.

1) Take a look at the post about HAL overbooking. Do you think HAL would offer a full refund AND give away a 10 day cruise AND offer an OBC if it had a spare cabin to put them into?

2) If a cruise line wants to add lifeboat space it has to add lifeboats. Where are they going to put the extra lifeboats?

I was on the Freedom of the Seas at the end of June 2007. As we got closer to the cruise date RCI started restricting booking to two per cabin. Even one of the family cabins was being limited to two. The reason was if RCI sold more than two per cabin, it would run out of room in its lifeboats.

Also, the ship might not be able to handle more people. Sure one or two more people will not make a difference (except in the lifeboats). But at a certain point you have to start adding more tables in the dining room and add more room in other areas. If the cruise line knows it will never have more than X number of people on its ship, it can plan accordingly.

Archived