Please Help Me With Things To Do In Belize!

CarnyMan

I would like to take my daughter to see the butterfly farm and Mayan ruins in Belize. Has anyone done this own their own without going through the cruiseline excursions? If so, please tell me how you did it. I thought that maybe I could just get a taxi to take us to each one and pay them to wait until we are ready to go back to the ship. My daughter is going to give a 'show and tell' to her class when she goes back to her school and I need for her to do something educational in Belize.

Thanks

I would like to take my daughter to see the butterfly farm and Mayan ruins in Belize. Has anyone done this own their own without going through the cruiseline excursions? If so, please tell me how you did it. I thought that maybe I could just get a taxi to take us to each one and pay them to wait until we are ready to go back to the ship. My daughter is going to give a 'show and tell' to her class when she goes back to her school and I need for her to do something educational in Belize.

Thanks

We've been to Belize a couple of times. I honestly would recommend that you do take a ship's tour.

I agree....if you want to venture far from the port(such as the ruins) and you're with your daughter, take a ship excursion.....Would hate to think of what could happen (ie. flat tire,run outta gas,etc) and you miss the ship.......

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but there was a nice, gentle snorkel excursion on the Enchantment when we went a few years back. Small island, with a snorkel "path" around half of it. Well organized, pleasant (although not spectacular) colours, fish, corals, etc. Could make for a good report with nice pics?!

I've taken three snorkeling trips in Belize, none through RCCL. All more than 1/2 off through a local on the dock. FABULOUS time, more time than RCCL would have provided as well. I have never booked through the ship and have had a great time on all my excursions in port.

Whatever you decide to do, do NOT go to Rendesvous Cay for snorkeling. It was the worst snorkeling we've ever, ever had. The cay had no sand - just crushed rock, 2 out of 3 of us cut our feet walking up to the cay, the visibility was the pits, there was very little to see and the trip out there & back takes forever even when you've been picked up from the ship.

One thing to keep in mind - it takes a good 30-45 mins. to get to shore from where the ship anchors.

No hall..........last time I was there(Nov) they are all just standing on the pier hawking their services....

Well, I was there in 03, so things probably changed and hopefully improved by now, 4 years later.

Yea, there was a hall, with one or two shops, and a gate surronding the hall, that took you into the town. When I was there, there was people just looking on the other side of the gate, kinda scary.

WE did the cave tubing in Belize in October of 05. It was the one of the best excursion we ever did. The feeling of just floating on a tube into the caves and down the river was very relaxing. If you do this take an underwater camera for pictures though, we had some on our tour that had regular cameras and they got ruined.

Michele

Well, I was there in 03, so things probably changed and hopefully improved by now, 4 years later.

Yea, there was a hall, with one or two shops, and a gate surronding the hall, that took you into the town. When I was there, there was people just looking on the other side of the gate, kinda scary.

You would not believe all the shops there now:eek: and it seems every other one is selling knock off purses.............not exactly something I would be buying for my souvenir in Belize....:rolleyes:

I also want to advise you to only go through the cruise line in Belize. We have cruised many times, and have booked our own excursions most of the time. So when going to Belize last January did not think twice about booking an excursion myself with some company I found on the internet. I really do not recommend doing that in Belize. Our entire excursion we were worried about our safety and if we were going to make it back to the cruise ship, not only on time, but at all. No one knew where we were, and it was quite scary. Especially if you are taking a child, go through the cruise line's excursions.

Stay on the ship and treat it as an extra sea day.

"The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have stopped at Belize twice and have had terrific excursions. We took a tour of the zoo which is about an hour's bus ride out of Belize City. It gave us a good chance to see the country side. It will open up your daughter's eyes. Kids need to see that it is all not vacation homes. Belize is an underdeveloped country. Our trip back to town was a river boat cruise and she will love the howling monkeys and gators along the way. Another cruise saw us take an airboat ride. Kids and adults alike loved it!

Take advantage of some new experiences!

Hi

We are taking a tour (non-ship one) in Belize to see the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins and the Rain Forest next week. It is by van and I found it on the internet. If you want more info. I will try to find some more stuff I have. We also have one daughter and she is studying the Mayan culture (how appropriate) in her school in January or Feb.

Which ship are you on and when do you go cruising?

Eller

There are private tour guides available at the port. Go to the right after you reach the port...and get there early. They will take you to Altun Ha. Don't go by yourself without a guide. Either sign up with one of the private guides that are licensed at the port or with the cruiseline.

"The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have stopped at Belize twice and have had terrific excursions. We took a tour of the zoo which is about an hour's bus ride out of Belize City. It gave us a good chance to see the country side. It will open up your daughter's eyes. Kids need to see that it is all not vacation homes. Belize is an underdeveloped country. Our trip back to town was a river boat cruise and she will love the howling monkeys and gators along the way. Another cruise saw us take an airboat ride. Kids and adults alike loved it!

Take advantage of some new experiences!

Hi, was that a tour booked through the cruise line or on your own?

Thanks

jaysue

While in Belize last summer, we did a snorkeling tour booked via Shoretrips. Our guide, Randy, was excellent and it was a great day and very good snorkeling! We are now booked for the cave tubing and ATV adventure thru cavetubing.com for our upcoming cruise, thanks to the many recommendations of cruisecritic members! We really like the smaller groups and personalized service when we have booked outside the cruise line. We're not worried about our safety with the number of positive recommendations nor are we worried about getting back on time. The shopping in Belize (cruise ship terminal) was not bad at all albeit typical of the ports but must say the shop keepers very friendly, informative, and not pushy. We love Belize; it is a beautiful country and lovely people. It is a growing nation and yes, there is a lot of poverty. Do your research if you choose to go outside of your cruise ship line for excursions. Cruisecritic members have not steered us wrong, yet! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived