Spirit Review 12/2-9 from the Pollyanna!!

Toyz711

I think it's a bit unfair to label those of us who were critical of the ship "negative." I talked to dozens of people throughout the cruise who all said they were having a good time (as we were) but who felt this cruise lacked on many levels in comparison to other cruises they've taken. Had we never cruised before we would have probably felt everything was much more impressive. But having been on 8 cruises previously which had better food, better crew, and better entertainment, it's hard not to compare and to be a little disappointed.

I don't think many of us are "negative" people - we just found NCL to miss the mark on a few things.

Why do you assume that I was referring to you? I've read all the reviews posted, and many of them remark on the number of people complaining about all sorts of stuff while on the ship - those are the negative people to whom I was referring.

I agree -- you have to give credence to the fact that there were quite a few people who were disappointed in their cruise. While I do think some of these people might have been "complainers" -- especially the lady we talked to on the first day who already was having a miserable cruise and had written off NCL entirely because she had trouble finding her cabin after boarding -- you can't fault people for their opinion.

While I had a good time and found the cruise to be great, it's clear that most people (and especially those on this board) have particular, valid, reasons for their disappointment.

A small minority just like to go through life complaining. That's just the way of the world!

you just had different expectations.

we don't compare, it never worked for us. if we did, DH would never have cruise when the 2nd one didn't match the 1st one. we do all of our travels as if it's the 1st one...well, it is...to that port or ship. i tell you, when it comes to traveling we are really, true "pollyannas". we just love to travel. between trips we are planning our next adventure.

bomb threats in london, gun fire in Caracas , bruised and sore from fall in plaka...negative things don't have to make a negative experience.

last trip was a bummer for me, had his family and his dad was fighting cancer...we did everything with the idea of time spent with him. his sister made all dinner plans, i stayed in the background. but it was nice for DH to have those moments with his dad.

my worse cruise was the 2nd one i took...a group tour, where i knew very few of the group. it was like i was invited, then they forgot i was there...my fault for not having a better time...

6th cruise for me and, for me, the best ones...ports that i got to enjoy (history/photos buff), didn't have to share DH with any group or family, wasn't worried about how we were going to pay for the credit cards, got to take photos to my hearts disires, lovely cabin, we got great service every where we went. yep, ranks right up there at the top.

I think it's a bit unfair to label those of us who were critical of the ship "negative." I talked to dozens of people throughout the cruise who all said they were having a good time (as we were) but who felt this cruise lacked on many levels in comparison to other cruises they've taken. Had we never cruised before we would have probably felt everything was much more impressive. But having been on 8 cruises previously which had better food, better crew, and better entertainment, it's hard not to compare and to be a little disappointed.

I don't think many of us are "negative" people - we just found NCL to miss the mark on a few things.

Rowan,

I thought your review was quite fair; especially where you compared the Spirit to Carnival's Fantasy. We've never cruised Carnival but have sailed on the Spirit thrice; twice out of NYC & another to Alaska out of Seattle. On our Alaska cruise after the last show let out at 10:30 the ship went to sleep; it was hard finding people up late. On our two trips out of NYC, though, Maharrini's had people dancing till the wee hours of the morning. Maybe the pax sailing of of New Orleans go to bed early...:eek:

I think many people on these boards have prior negative attitudes towards other cruise lines that they haven't even cruised on! Thanks to your comparison we feel better about Carnival & may try one of their ships out of NYC...if the price is right...;) Our only hesitation is the dining arrangements...which is why we cruise with NCL...:D

Tom & Eileen

Thank you toyz for your review. I have been so scared about the negativity towards ncl and spirit, that I almost pulled myself away from this website. I've only cruised once and that was on Hal.-Nordam. absolutely wonderful,fantastic trip. However, I have decided to do as you said, and not compare. Just go and have a great time. I mean you're on vacation for crying out loud-on a cruise-how can it be bad. shoot, I would have had a ball on your trip just watching the drunks-I promise I would have been laughing hysterically. Talk about people watching, those are the best. Of course I wouldn't want my boys to see it. Again thank you for your review, Once again I am so looking forward to my trip on the Spirit in March. :D

the rosier the better, thanx monte

got your glasses packed for hawaii?

I especially love it when someone figures it's a put down by saying I'm cruising with rose colored glasses...they're the ones complaining and I'm still having a good time. So who ends up looking foolish? ;)

But for this Hawaii cruise, I might need them! The cruise was scheduled to board Wednesday, overnight in Honolulu and actually sail Thursday Evening. So, dummy that I am, we booked to fly in Wednesday (it was a LOT cheaper) and if there was a delay I figured we would still be fine. Got notice a couple days ago that they've just changed and now the ship will leave Honolulu on Wednesday night.

As a "just in case" I'm already checking air fares from Honolulu to Kona cause we don't have much of a margin of error, and if there's a problem I might have to catch the cruise on day 2 there! But we should still be fine, flight is scheduled to land in Honolulu at 1pm ship sails at 8pm.

Cathi,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We did also. We saw you at Nachi Cocum. It was nice talking with you. Didn't see you anymore that week.Seems like it was hard for all the CC to get together on this cruise. I am in the process of posting a review. We were on the 11th floor, quiet compared to what I just read. We did smell the strange smells of something a couple of times but couldn't tell where they were coming from. Sounds like it may have drifted up from the 10th floor. We got a chuckle out of it. Didn't hear or see any fights or drunks on our floor. Glad you liked Nachi. We had great weather.

hi sandy504, i was looking for you on the ship. i really didn't think it was that big, but i seems to have to problems losing people on it? loved nachi....would go back in a sec. but DH has informed me, next trip..this same cruise...we are going to try fishing and cozumel has some great fishing.

after nachi, we took a taxi back...he dropped us off in front of our docks. we walked down the street a few yards...saw a cart vendor with just the puppet i wanted (i do cheap dolls or puppets for my "travel" collection). he wanted $20, DH pulled out all the cash he had left ...a whooping $10 in 1s..i got the puppet for $10. i don't care if it's a bargain or not, it was just what i wanted...she is so cute..i love her.

no t-shirts this trip...spend less then $30 total at the ports.

after all the reports of rain for the weeks before us, it was great to have such nice weather...wasn't even overly hot.

Hey Cathi,

I'd been looking forward to your review, especially about Lamanai. Sounds like we'll be worn out that day! So there was a parade for the little "pirates?" I hadn't read about that before on NCL ships, & I know my son will LOVE traipsing around in a parade.

Thanks for the great review and the little details. You made me even MORE excited about March!!!

Debbie

for lamanai, take good walking shoes that you don't mind getting dirty. you are under a canopy of trees for most of the day...it can get humid, the ground stays wet in spots. hubby was surprised i didn't slip and fall in a puddle (i do that). that boat ride was fun and interesting..it does get fast, the boat driver takes those turns...it's a fun ride. the food, at lunch, is local fare and very good (surprising). 2 types of rice, chicken, chip and local fruit sodas or water.

the hike around the sites is hard..not level, stepping over roots, stones..up 1,000 stones steps. but it's so worth it for the history and the views. amazing stuff.

you can climb one of the temples, i didn't...DH climbs 1/2 way up. the views should be amazing, that temple backs up the river you come up on.

i have a little problem with coming down steps (lose my balance) and standing on small ledges. if you get "jewel", she's a hoot and 1/2. a very spunky lady, according to her...she can get into trouble every easily. she sure knows her facts/history and local area.

Related to the kids programs: They videotaped the "Junior Cruise Director" program they did with some of the kids (I assume on Monday while at sea), edited it down to a short segment, and then showed it on one of the television channels now and then towards the end of the week.

At first I almost just skipped through it...but after I watched a few minutes I determined that it actually was hilarious! The CD had the kids doing typical "Cruise Director" duties like disciplining employees who were late to return to the ship, and sitting at the computer just deleting e-mails over and over again.

Loved reading your review. After some of the others I was getting kind of nervous. We leave in about 40 days. How were the kids programs did you hear? Did they have any deck parties(dancing)? My daughters love to dance with me? Any ports you didn't feel safe at?

Did you hear of anyone going to Bannister Island?

Misand:)

the band played by the pool several times, it was listed in the daily. did really see any organized parties around there. this cruise didn't have many kids, the pirate parade was the only time i saw the kids around the ship, in a kids club group. saw many of them really enjoying the rear pool with the little slides.

working on the photos on that area right now, they should be on my webshots page (see link below)in about an hour.

Related to the kids programs: They videotaped the "Junior Cruise Director" program they did with some of the kids (I assume on Monday while at sea), edited it down to a short segment, and then showed it on one of the television channels now and then towards the end of the week.

At first I almost just skipped through it...but after I watched a few minutes I determined that it actually was hilarious! The CD had the kids doing typical "Cruise Director" duties like disciplining employees who were late to return to the ship, and sitting at the computer just deleting e-mails over and over again.

My daughter Sydney was on this - she had the pink t shirt with rainbow striped. She REALLY enjoyed it.

many pictures are posted, some daily are posted...still scanning others.

http://community.webshots.com/user/toyz711

videos are getting posted to

http://www.myspace.com/galaxytoyz

(over by the cute little picture of me in 1952...click on video)

Hi Cathi, I looked at your pics of the cruise. We are leaving on 01/06 and I appreciate all your input. I also saw some of your pics at OCC. I've have been there too. Not doing so well. Would like to talk to you if possible. My email cwrn1@msn.com

Thanks, Candy

We were getting off the Sprit while you were waiting to get on. We enjoyed this cruise more than any of the other 5 we have been on. The ship did not seem crowded which is what my DW and I like. We enjoyed all the food from the sandwiches to the lobster. We were in an AA suite so we had a few extra perks but even without them this was truely a memorable cruise for my DW and I. The Fountain show put on by the crew was better than any I ever saw on Ed Sullivan. It was hilarious. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. We will more than likely book this same cruis next November.

Loved reading your review. After some of the others I was getting kind of nervous. We leave in about 40 days. How were the kids programs did you hear? Did they have any deck parties(dancing)? My daughters love to dance with me? Any ports you didn't feel safe at?

Did you hear of anyone going to Bannister Island?

Misand:)

We went to Bannister and really had a nice time. Really laid back. Nice swimming area or just lay around in the shade or sun. beautiful scenery.

as "wet" as everything gets during the "fountains", no one would notice. we only say the last few minutes, our sides were hurting by the time it was over.

Daily(s) are posted, i THINK they are in order..i got very tired. working on scanning some price lists, still working on photos..i really did take a bunch.

Archived