GPS Anyone?

Jiminkcmo

Has anyone taken a portable GPS device on a cruise to use in determining your position relative to land and to use while in port for your land navigation and finding "touristy" attractions?

I was just "thinking outside the box" and wondering if that might be a good tool to take along while cruising.

Don't have one but wonder if they are a good investment for that purpose.

TIA.

Jim

I was on a baltic cruise and a guy had a gps and it was linked to his computer. He was capturing the entire route and mapping it for a memory. He said he did that on all his cruises. It was really interesting to watch when going to Stockholm thru the Archipelagos.

I always take my Garming etrex Vista C on cruises. I use it to just to see where we are on sea days and check the speed of the ship. Upon arrival at a port, I create a waypoint and I have used it to mark the location of our hotel if we are staying in a new city for pre- or post-cruise visits.

I always take the gps. In general I leave it on the balcony all the time to record the position, and I keep complete tracks of my cruises. Whether I take it on shore depends on what we're doing there, although I've have had a couple times I tend to think in retrospect that I should have brought it, simply because I like to be able to look to see where we've been.

Still kicking myself over losing the track of the Crown tilt though. Apparently forgot to save it when I downloaded it to the computer :(.

Has anyone taken a portable GPS device on a cruise to use in determining your position relative to land and to use while in port for your land navigation and finding "touristy" attractions?

Jim

Looking forward to having my VML X-970T with me from now on & glad to hear I'm not nuts for thinking about taking it cruising. I got it mainly to help me do my own thing by way of excursions, especially for the Jade TA & post cruise trips. - We're planning to do our next few cruises in & around Europe - i.e. Greece, Turkey, Egypt & so felt that Michelin was the way to go.

Archived