CB Rough Seas?????

harrodsfan

I have been watching the seas on a wave height web site and the seas seem to be hovering at 10 feet. (a bit higher this week due to Olga.) How does the ship handle the seas...we will be on New Years' cruise...????

Would love to hear from recent cruisers....

I have been watching the seas on a wave height web site and the seas seem to be hovering at 10 feet. (a bit higher this week due to Olga.) How does the ship handle the seas...we will be on New Years' cruise...????

Would love to hear from recent cruisers....

I was on the CB Nov 25-Dec 2 and had a cabin towards the very front of the ship (L206). According to the tv report we had pretty rough seas (over 10ft) a couple of days. The ship handled them fine and it wasn't as rough as I was "expecting" but being so far forward and high, we definitely experienced more movement. I found myself bumping into the walls of the shower a lot of the time. :p

-Andrew

We were on the same cruise with a totally aft cabin. Lots of motion but we have experienced worse! I did note the trip down actually is sailing right on the edge of the Atlantic rather than in the Caribbean sea....might be why!

I'm thinking you'll be better off than us. We set sail tomorrow night from San Juan and I've been told that the seas are a bit rough..(again due to Olga), but I won't tell my signifciant other that:D . Just need to hope for the best right?

We are expecting a big storm front to hit here Sunday morning in the Tampa Bay area, so I expect I will be driving to Tampa in the rain and have ground swells getting out of the channel.

I think I need to line my suitcases with big baggies as they will probably be out in the rain.

Appreciate the info...see the waves are steady at 10 foot. We have a cabin in the center so that should help.. Have been on the Grand princess in a big wind and didn't get seasick but couldn't sleep due to the movement. I kept rolling into my husband...lol...

Will start my bonine before the trip and not bring my 10 inch heels.

Appreciate the info...see the waves are steady at 10 foot. We have a cabin in the center so that should help.. Have been on the Grand princess in a big wind and didn't get seasick but couldn't sleep due to the movement. I kept rolling into my husband...lol...

Will start my bonine before the trip and not bring my 10 inch heels.

We were on the CB when Katrina formed in the Caribbean. The seas were rough with wind and rain, and the water in the pools definately reflected the ocean. Our cabin was across from the laudermat on Aloha (towards the aft) and we only felt slight movement. We have done the News Eve cruise twice out of Ft. Lauderdale - on the Radiance OTS and the X Infinity. Both trips were rough until we reach San Juan. One of the captains told us that is the norm when you sail in the Atlantic in the winter. So, bring your Bonine and enjoy the trip!

I watched the CB's progress all week 12.10 through 12.13. They had 54 knot winds as a high on Tuesday. The average winds were about 40 knots. 10-15 foot seas. She never made St. Martin on Wednesday. I think they pulled in to St. Thomas on Thursday as expected, skipping the St. Martin stop. Eighty something hours of weather. I wonder how many people got off the ship in St. Thomas and flew home.

Any thoughts?

I'd pay extra for that ride!

Christo'

Currently on CB. Yes, we had some rough weather -- highest seas I believe were 18 ft. We were in Princess Cays on Monday, Tuesday at sea, Wednesday was supposed to be St. Maarten but as stated, we skipped that one. Lovely day in St. Thomas on Thursday and Friday the Captain added a stop at Grand Turk/Caicos(sp?). Today is a sea day sailing our way to Port Everglades.

The biggest problem with this cruise has been the passengers. Lots of very angry, unhappy people. Weather happens. The crew have handled it the best they can. Extremely rude people on this cruise. We were on last week, totally different mix of passengers, much nicer week.

Currently on CB. Yes, we had some rough weather -- highest seas I believe were 18 ft. We were in Princess Cays on Monday, Tuesday at sea, Wednesday was supposed to be St. Maarten but as stated, we skipped that one. Lovely day in St. Thomas on Thursday and Friday the Captain added a stop at Grand Turk/Caicos(sp?). Today is a sea day sailing our way to Port Everglades.

The biggest problem with this cruise has been the passengers. Lots of very angry, unhappy people. Weather happens. The crew have handled it the best they can. Extremely rude people on this cruise. We were on last week, totally different mix of passengers, much nicer week.

Do you think the mix of passengers as you described, angry, unhappy...was due to their upset at the wave conditions and not stopping at St. Marten or just a poor mix of unhappy people in general?

I feel for you. AS I stated we were on last week's cruise and one of the major things that I noticed and that made our cruise so much fun was how really nice and pleasant our fellow passengers were. Made for a nice and pleasant crew also, since it makes their job easier.

I don't know why people insist of forgetting they are on a cruise ship, not a land resort, and therefore at the mercy of the various weather conditions. It may be "their vacation"...but weather happens and will be what it will be.

ses320, Thanks for posting! Wasn't sure if Princess Cay was at start or end. For our upcoming trip, it's at the end.

That's great that a port was substituted for St. Maartin. It's beyond me how people would be rude/angry at the crew for weather changes. I'd love to see Grand Turk. Heck, anywhere is better than watching it snow which I'm currently doing.

Enjoy the end of your cruise!

We were also on the Dec 2-9 sailing and the people WERE wonderful. We were just so lucky last week with the weather and everything - we are all counting our blessings!

I have been wondering all week what was going on during this voyage on the CB as I have the webcam on my desktop. I feel so bad for you that you are having poor weather and nasty fellow passengers.

What was the reason for skipping St. Martin? Was it just too rough to make it in time?

Our winds were about 14 knots most of the time the week before and seas were, I think, 8 foot or under all week. What a comparison to what wolfiev listed above!

I bet they had tons of people getting the shots in the medical center. Was anyone even going to the dining room?

Ses320 - please post a review when you get back.

Thanks!

My wife and I just returned yesterday from the Regent SS Voyageur Dec 7-14. We picked up part of Olga on the way down from Grand Turk to San Juan and ran into really nasty windy/rainy weather with winds gusting from 40-60mph at times. The ship is 46,000 tons and was really rocking and rolling. We left San Juan Monday night at 11:30pm and the captain mentioned he would make for St. Thomas at high speed to get there asap and out of the weather. That night the seas were even higher. Never did hear exactly what the wave heights reached but it was well beyond fun for anyone.

We were on the Carribean Princess last year and judging by the shallow draft and size of the ship, I think we were better off on a smaller ship...

Rob

Now I am getting a little concerned. We will be on the CB for the 12/23 sailing out of FLL.. Will be on the ship for the Christmas holidays :)

Does anyone know what the seas are expected to be for that trip? Or where I can watch a forecast for the seas?

This will be my husbands 1st cruise and I wanted it to be nice. Thanks in advance for the help!

I've read that this tropical storm at this time of year is highly unusual. I wouldn't be concerned. By your cruise, this storm will have passed. We had great weather week, so it just goes to show how quickly things can change.

On our last cruise I picked a suite that was forward on a high deck.

One night we had high seas, and I stood out on our balcony with the wind whipping my hair and sea spray misting my face and I found it to be exciting. Maybe I am just weird.:D

At one point the captain and some crew were out side just below us and he saluted me, and I saluted back and laughed.

I am the type of person who gets car sick if I don't drive. :o

I just take my ginger tablets and Bonine and they work great.

You know these ships are made to sail in all types of weather, and mother nature has a way of letting us know who is boss.:eek: But I love her anyway. :)

But all captains try to sail around foul weather.

Cruising is great.

But then I like bungee jumping and skydiving too.:p

Archived