Open Jaw Air to ship

lizf

I've posted on our roll call board, but no one is posting regularly it appears. Does anyone have an idea of a good airfare to Europe (Copenhagen), returning from NY to the West Coast for next Aug? I'm finding fares from $1,000 to $2,000pp rt and that is such a price spread I am concerned that we should snatch the tickets now at the lower price. Anyone do this more frequently than us (almost never)? Or anyone making a similar decision? I would appreciate your input. I've done searches here but couldn't find anything. Mostly the threads dealt with cruise air. Again I say thanks. Liz

Are you doing RT? If so - which city to which? I think you might do better, but your thread title says "open jaw"... I'm a bit confused... if you are embarking in one city and disembarking in another, that might be a good fare.

Ca you give more info?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Open jaw means you arrive in one city and depart from another. You would start and end your jouney from the West Coast. This happens in a transatlantic crossing. I'm looking for people shopping using the West Coast as a beginning point. The fares are similar enough from major cities, SF, LA, Vegas, etc. I don't expect to find exact routings. From the West Coase to Europe and return from NY to the West Coast. I thought the $1,000 difference was unusual.

So where are you departing from and where would you be coming from?

We've done open jaw numerous times in the past. Sometimes (lately) the cruise line add-on air is the best value.

If you are doing major cities such as LAX, SFO, ATL or even JFK as a departure city, depending on the airline, you should still get a decent deal...

We found the best for us to Copenhagen was via Atlanta (from Denver) through Paris on Delta. For us (in Denver) Delta offers decent flights and connections - also British Air, though we hate to go through Heathrow for a connection. another option we like is Lufthansa as it is also direct to Frankfurt from Denver.

I have had to use open jaw tickets for a couple of cruises and found that the cruise lines (Princess for one trip and HAL for another) were able to obtain the best fares by far over anything that I could find and even for Business Class.

That is what we findinf too surprisingly. Thought I could do better on my own (and I used to be able to!) but lately, the cruise line air can't be beat.

Example: Azamara is offering RT air to Sao Paulo from Denver for $398 for the two of us... that's $199 each - unheard of these days.

I have almost always done better arranging my own air independently. But, like others, there was a time when the cruise line's air was cheaper for an open jaw. We lucked out in that the flights we got were good ... not convoluted with a crazy routing.

Just compare the two and go with what works out best for you, balancing cost and convenience. Good luck.

Is there a way to get a price and itinerary from the cruise line before booking? We have never used cruise line air, but are wanting to fly open jaw, business class to Europe next summer and are not finding great rates. If the cruise line has the best deal, then I'm all for it, but I would want a locked-in itinerary before I purchased and for some reason I am thinking this is not the way it works when purchasing thru HAL.

P.

Cruise line group air is often competitive or better than what we can do on our own, especially when arriving at one city and returning from another. You can throw your fate to the cruise line or pay them a deviation and tell them exactly what you want, including arriving the day before sailing to make certain you make your cruise.

There are endless ways to slice and dice your intinerary, given you are in Nevada. In it's simplist form, if I am understanding this situation, it sounds as though you need a R/T domestic flight between Nevada and the NY area and a one way return flight from CPH. Do I have this right?

A one-way, non-stop from CPH is as costly as a R/T, on most carriers and I can see how it is you are coming up with the numbers you are. Turning this into a two-stop return within Europe, can shave off as much as 3/4's the cost.

I would see what the cruise line can do for you.

Is there a way to get a price and itinerary from the cruise line before booking? We have never used cruise line air, but are wanting to fly open jaw, business class to Europe next summer and are not finding great rates. If the cruise line has the best deal, then I'm all for it, but I would want a locked-in itinerary before I purchased and for some reason I am thinking this is not the way it works when purchasing thru HAL.

P.

You should be able to get a firm quote on airfare, however - depending on the cruise line air schedules may not be available until 60-90 days prior to sailing.

The thing we found is that if you book cruise line air add-on, you can always drop it before final payment if you find adequate flights. You cannot always add air after booking though. If you are booking a cruise where you are unsure of the flights, IMO it's best to include it (or ask if it can be included later) and do your own research. When researching, make sure the flight you want have ample seating or availability or be prepared to book immediately. You can drop cruise air add-on later, if need be.

Going to Brazil, we will keep Azamara's add-on at $199 pp because there is no way we could beat that - even with the worst seats, lol!

P.

Here is a link to the HAL web site. It sounds as though you are talking about the airplus service. About the only thing that seems clearis that your fare/flights are not locked in until you pay for it.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=air&topic=flyCruisePlan

Thanks everyone. I appreciate that you took the time to consider my request.

tnsny1- You said it very well. No good rates yet. I don't want to do cruise air either. I have better luck on my own. I know open jaw is better booked ahead when there are plenty of seats. I thought the rates I pulled up today were the best yet. I remember Brian saying that he was waiting until after the first of the year to book his air for the Eurodam initial sailing. He is the real expert I think. Thanks for saying what I had thought to be the case. Liz

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Open jaw means you arrive in one city and depart from another.

With bargain airlines now in Europe it may be worthwhile to do a regular RT from the US and fly between the 2 European cities on a bargain airline.

Originally posted by Boytjie...With bargain airlines now in Europe it may be worthwhile to do a regular RT from the US and fly between the 2 European cities on a bargain airline........

European bargain airlines have limited baggage allowance, mostly one suitcase, not a good idea. Why not take Jetblue to East Coast (return) and pick up a one way from JFK.

Also, post your question on the "cruise air" board, lots of good advice there.

We are doing the August Copenhagen to NYC on the Eurodam. Our TA said by far the best rate for us was the cruiseair offering. We did have to pay an air deviation fee since we are staying in the city an extra day or so and then just taking the bus (2 hours) home from there.

Thanks for all of your advice and tips. It all bears considerations. Does cruiseair have to be booked when you make your deposit? I'll check that. I've been checking the bargain European flights and gave it up as too many airports, not enough time. But I'm still looking. Thanks. Liz

Archived