Luggage weight/size concerns

whynotnow

I take about 2 dozen flights per year and I have never seen a bag fall from an overhead compartment, including my bag.

I have to second Tredebo's comment, although I am afraid I am also guilty of having overweight hand luggage. I think the reduced limit went into effect several years ago after a BA passenger was very seriously injured (IIRC paralyzed) by a heavily packed aluminum (Rimova?) suitcase that flew down from the locker and hit him on the neck.

so could you tell me if you have flown Virgin airlines [from the UK to Sydney via Hong Kong] recently, i am on the Sapphire in april, what i would like to know if they are Very Strict with the allowance of 23kgs plus 6kgs hand luggage, they quoted me almost £30 per kg excess, the quote for an extra 23kg suitcase was over £680
Sorry, I haven't flown Virgin Atlantic for many years now, so don't know what they're like with baggage. A good source of information can be found here: http://www.v-flyer.com/, so there may be some tips there as to how much you can get away with.

How tied are you to flying Virgin on the way out? If you know that you are going to need to pay for excess baggage, there are ways of either reducing the amount you pay or of making it better value all round. For example, flying British Airways to Australia would mean that the excess baggage cost for a single extra bag could be as little as £60:-

Excess baggage rates

All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances is charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey.

Customers on most routes can pre-pay online for their excess baggage and receive a discount on airport charges.The pre-pay facility can be accessed through Manage My Booking. Pre-pay is not available on certain routes, and some credit cards cannot be used as payment methods.

To qualify for the discount, Pre-pay must be completed before check in, including before completing Online check-in.

Excess baggage charges

Longhaul

£75 per bag or £60 per bag if paid online (includes 20% discount)

And if you were to pay the extra to fly premium economy with BA, you'd have a two bag allowance rather than one bag. I don't know what Virgin's premium economy baggage allowance is, but if you get extra with them, you might find that it's cheaper to upgrade to premium economy and take the extra allowance than to pay for a single bag at the rates that you've been quoted.

Lucky you!!! I came close to having my skull crushed by a bag of duty free liquor a few flights back when the locker catch gave up the ghost. Believe me - it happens.

Ditto, Experience last month on way to Hong Kong

Newtons First Law:

a) An object at rest stays at rest unless an external force acts on the object.

Failure for Newtons First Law to apply = Clumsy passenger rummaging overhead locker

b)An object in motion stays in motion (at a constant velocity), again, unless an external force is applied.

External Force applied My Head

Newtons Second Law:

Force = Mass * Acceleration

Force = 1 Litre Vodka Bottle in Limited Edition Disco Ball cover= 1 Kg*Acceleration

Cant be bothered with Acceleration v=a*t

But know the distance travelled to be approximately 3 feet (reclined sleeping) then the 3feet @ 9.81m/s

Newtons Third Law as interpreted:

All forces occur in pairs, and these two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

My response to him after just about fracturing my skull (in a non threatening verbal manner of course):mad:

Also in regard to Hand Luggage being weighed. At Melbourne Airport International just after you go through the gates that ticketed people can pass but visitors cannot. Standing at the right hand side there is most often a man (not airline affiliated but airport affliliated so it does not matter what airline) who has a set of scales (scales always there man is mostly) who will send you back out IF he picks on you as you look like you are lumbering under weight or bag looks oversized . He will weigh your hand luggage and send you back out to check it in if it exceeds. Have never seen a person doing similar in Sydney. If going through Melbourne and a bit over simply turn left when going through the gate or ignore his offer to weigh your luggage...Non comprende'...

The rule down here is if you are flying from Europe or Asia to Australia, you are only allowed one checked suitcase and usually it is to be only 20kg. That is for all our airlines that fly between Australia, Asia and Europe. Obviously Virgin Atlantic lets you have a few kgs more. We have found Singapore airlines which also says that you are only allowed 20kg, does allow us up to 26kg without any penalities.

If you are flying directly from Austalia or New Zealand to L.A. then you are allowed that one extra piece of checked luggage which is a bonus.

Jennie

I usually don't worry about the weight of the bag, I weigh mine before they do.......but the size of the bag to check is a problem. Our cases are 27" --- Is that the allowable size????

I usually don't worry about the weight of the bag, I weigh mine before they do.......but the size of the bag to check is a problem. Our cases are 27" --- Is that the allowable size????
It may depend on the airline you're travelling with (that is, the operating carrier). Qantas, for example, says that for travel from the US to Australia, the total dimensions of the two pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no single piece exceeding 158cm (62in). Total dimensions are measured by adding together the width, height and depth of the bag. See this page.

I know - that was what I was reading and I was concerned as both our bags are 27" - Measuring the way they say in the Qantas baggage information would make them too large - they are saying measuring all the way around.

Does anyone have any first hand information on the size??

Globaliser, do you have any luggage information for Air Zealand. We are leaving from San Francisco to Sydney (via Auckland).

Thanks!

Karyn

Karyn I gathered this information for my Roll Call:-

AIR NZ ex USA/Canada/London via LAX......checked baggage 2 pce, each 23kg (50lbs) plus 1 cary-on 7kg (15lbs). Trust this helps...however throw it at your TA ;)

B E V

I see lots of info on air NZ - but qantas has the 62" size - they are allowing 70 lbs which is way above others, but the size of the bag is in question. We have 27" bags - which would total 27,27,10,10 --and that would be over if that is what they are doing. Does anyone know how they handle the luggage in LA to NZ and then Sydney to SFO.????

I know - that was what I was reading and I was concerned as both our bags are 27" - Measuring the way they say in the Qantas baggage information would make them too large - they are saying measuring all the way around.
We have 27" bags - which would total 27,27,10,10 --and that would be over if that is what they are doing.
As Host Sheila says, make sure that you're not double counting. Count each of the three dimensions once. I suspect that you'll be adding together something in the region of 27 inches length, 20 inches width and 10 inches depth for a total of 57 inches. Unless you've got some strange-shaped suitcases!
Does anyone know how they handle the luggage in LA to NZ and then Sydney to SFO.????
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you're flying from Los Angeles to Auckland, they'll check your bags in at Los Angeles and you'll see them in Auckland. Ditto if you're flying from Sydney to San Francisco.

Where did you find that Qantas says to measure all the way around? I have been unable to find that. One note of caution: be sure to measure AFTER you have packed. If you overstuff, the dimensions will change. I measured mine empty and there was a significant difference between empty and full. Although I don't want to take extra bags, in these days of size and weight restrictions, you are better off with 2 'just full' bags than one overstuffed that exceeds the measurements. I've had experience with strict weight restrictions and having to move things from one bag to another but I've never seen them measure bags except when people bring really huge bags that clearly exceed size restrictions.

Just a small comment.

I can't imagine any company that makes suitcases building a model which exceeds the maximum allowable size on any airline.

That would be pure stupidity on their part.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Jim,

Not to belabor the point, but many people have luggage that was purchased before the newer restrictions and different airlines have different restrictions. I was just reading that some manufacturers are now making 26 inch suitcases that hold more (by volume) than some 29 inch cases (due to more height and less length) but, of course, the weight restrictions still are in place. Just to make packing more complex, most people are using space saver bags which allow more to be packed but may increase weight.

Guess the solution is to learn to pack light! I'm working on taking less (especially shoes) and remembering that there are stores everywhere for the things I forget. One trick for long cruses is to wait and buy larger size toiletries in drug stores at embarkation points - saves both space and weight and, if you choose carefully, can be tossed at the end of the trip.

Thanks - I was doubling by going around the bag. I just didn't know if they would check sizing this way in both LA and Sydney. :o

Anyway, being charged for being a pound over, I didn't want to take a chance and have our bags be the wrong size. Thanks - so much, I now see I was measuring wrong. I just didn't want to be wrong at check in!

I have also been carrying an expandable bag for check in just for the air portion, and put any heavy shoes, sweaters and jackets in that, and don't overstuff my main bag. Once we get to our hotel, we repack those items in our regular bag and don't have any weight or size limitations worries.

Jim,

Not to belabor the point, but many people have luggage that was purchased before the newer restrictions and different airlines have different restrictions. I was just reading that some manufacturers are now making 26 inch suitcases that hold more (by volume) than some 29 inch cases (due to more height and less length) but, of course, the weight restrictions still are in place. Just to make packing more complex, most people are using space saver bags which allow more to be packed but may increase weight.

Guess the solution is to learn to pack light! I'm working on taking less (especially shoes) and remembering that there are stores everywhere for the things I forget. One trick for long cruses is to wait and buy larger size toiletries in drug stores at embarkation points - saves both space and weight and, if you choose carefully, can be tossed at the end of the trip.

I like your idea on buying toiletries at embaration. Good idea on some items. Also. your comment on space bags is also right, as good as they are for space, the weight of the bag is increased as you have so much in your bag.

As to size and weight, the airlines are really all over the place with their varying rules and regulations. Continental and US Air are weighing and charging all bags even slightly over. This was the first time we saw a size limitation, and we appreciate your information.

I can't imagine any company that makes suitcases building a model which exceeds the maximum allowable size on any airline.
Some people will need suitcases that won't go on aircraft. And some people need suitcases that size for air travel but won't send them as checked baggage. So there is a market for them, albeit small.

Just a small comment.

That would be pure stupidity on their part.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

You would simply not believe some of the suitcases we have seen being schlepped to check-in at various airports. (Very recently at LAX where people were checking in for several asian flights.) And you would also not believe the size of suitcases that are sold at the various "markets". I have seen absolutely humongous pieces being sold all over the world -- not only in Spain, in Africa, but also even at the Swapshop in Ft. Lauderdale!

You would simply not believe some of the suitcases we have seen being schlepped to check-in at various airports. (Very recently at LAX where people were checking in for several asian flights.) And you would also not believe the size of suitcases that are sold at the various "markets". I have seen absolutely humongous pieces being sold all over the world -- not only in Spain, in Africa, but also even at the Swapshop in Ft. Lauderdale!

Sharon--good to see you thought I better say goodbye..we leave the house in just under 8 days & I wanted to really thank you for the help you gave me using Priceline the first time & getting our hotel. We'll try to take real good care of the Mercury & leave it in good shape for you...Now I could WAVE at EVERYONE we see in Auckland down by the ship in perhaps I would have waved at YOU--but I think some might think me a bit "touched"..so have a great cruise & I know we will. :D :cool:

Syl - wishing you a fantastic cruise (happy 46 1/2!) and have a great time at the Marriott beforehand. Do your best to "sweet talk" them into an upgrade! It would be wonderful to meet in Auckland but, alas, we'll be waiting to board. Where are you staying when you arrive in Auckland? Or will you be flying out on the same day? One of these days we will have to meet since we keep following each other around on one cruise after another:D

Sheila - I promise to take good care of your ship. Where did we decide to meet on the 16th? Or did we??:eek:

Sharon,

We're meeting in the bar at the Marriott at 7 PM on the 16th. Since we're doing the Hunter Valley wineries tour that day, we may be a bit late AND will certainly be dressed casually! I've told our Roll Call that you may join us, so just make your presence known :) or should we all wear red carnations or some such???

Archived