Platinum Latitudes - direct no?

mistybaby

Is there a number or contact anyone has? We are platinum and are going on Savor the Night tomorrow. There are a huge number suites open (10+) and would like to see if there is someone we can talk to before the pier about a courtesty upgrade because we are both platinum latitude members. Any suggestions?

I'm a Platinum too and I know how you feel. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. What they do is upgrade people only if there is a demand for a room at a certain category and that category is filled. They will then upgrade someone up from that category to make room. I'm just a messenger so be nice.

I am also a Platinum, with over 20 cruises on NCL, 5 just in 2007. However, in no way would I ever expect to be upgraded just because there are empty cabins.

Sorry, but NCL Platinum members aren't that rare. I'm also in the top repeaters on Princess and RCI, none really offer a great deal.

Not to get into a "war" - but its been our experience that Platinum, while not the rarest thing in the world, is not as common as a taxi on a NYC street. On most of our recent NCL cruises, we've noticed, at most, one or two other platinum travelers (by glancing at the rep's list).

The problem is that by creating a designation, NCL has somewhat created an expectation, that for different people, means different things. For some, they are thrilled with the free specialy dinner (which is undeniably nice), but for us the more valued perk is the one more akin to those which airlines offer their favored customers - namely upgrades.

I do not begrudge NCL the right to maximize revenue. Indeed, I'd be skeptical if they did not, but on a one night sailing, where nearly every suite, including the Garden Villas remains unoccupied within 24 hours of sailing, I'd be very interested in hearing the rationale for not offering it either gratis, or for a de minimis fee, to a favored customer. The only thing I can think of, would be akin to a half empty restaurant which can't seat you because they are short on waitstaff.

Regardless of the ultimate outcome, for a one night cruise, the room we've paid for is fine. But it would be nice, if having been given the Platinum designation, NCL at least pretended to have a dedicated phone number or personnel, and, where possible, does something different than the "programmed" reward.

To close, only something to obsess over because the office is slow as the holiday approaches.

The problem is that by creating a designation, NCL has somewhat created an expectation, that for different people, means different things.

I recently read on the Princess board where someone was disappointed at something they didn't receive as part of their past passenger program. The person ended up booking their first Royal Caribbean cruise.

On our recent Gem CTN from Boston, I was very annoyed that there was no VIP check in for Gold latitudes. I felt that NCL doesn't value my business at all.

I can't remember the numbers at all, but basic marketing 101 tells you how difficult it is to get new customers.

Perhaps the suites are being reserved for VIP's but are showing up in case anyone else wants to pay full price. But I agree. They should try their best to keep their "frequent flyers" happy.

I have no association with any cruiseline, but the cruise industry is growing at an alarming rate. If someone "jumps" ship- cruiselines, there are plenty more people to board. Overall, cruising is one of the biggest travel bargains around.

It is no big deal to sail with people, anymore, who have been on 20, 30 cruises etc. It used to be only a small segment of the population of cruised. Now it's everyone. :)

So, unfortunately, now no one is "special", same with flights- when's the last time, you flew on a plane with empty seats and spread out passengers?? :)

I've traveled on average 8 weeks/year for years, this year 12. It has definately become mass market- but at least I get to go where and when I want at a fair price. :)

First off I would imagine there is quite a bit of paperwork, or computer work, involved in switching someone to a new room. I know it sounds easy but I don't think it is. I understand where you're coming from but I've been on 30 NCL cruises and I haven't been disappointed yet. The same with RCL and Celebrity where I'm a rated cruiser. I pay for the room I want and I don't expect anything more. Occasionally it does happen and that's great. I hear, sometimes your travel agent can be effective in getting an upgrade. Imagine the can of worms they would open if they did do the upgrades all the time?

I have no association with any cruiseline, but the cruise industry is growing at an alarming rate. If someone "jumps" ship- cruiselines, there are plenty more people to board. Overall, cruising is one of the biggest travel bargains around.

It is no big deal to sail with people, anymore, who have been on 20, 30 cruises etc. It used to be only a small segment of the population of cruised. Now it's everyone. :)

So, unfortunately, now no one is "special", same with flights- when's the last time, you flew on a plane with empty seats and spread out passengers?? :)

I've traveled on average 8 weeks/year for years, this year 12. It has definately become mass market- but at least I get to go where and when I want at a fair price. :)

I don't think your numbers represent any averages. I don't know anyone who travels 8 weeks/ year. In fact I don't know anyone who even has 8 weeks of vacation time per year.

I work for a non profit so I don't think my numbers are representative of the average population either but:

Of the 10 in this office, three have been on cruises. I have been on about 20 in 20 years - 14 NCL. Another has been on 2-four day cruises. One on Carnival and one on Royal Caribbean. One has been on one Carnival.

When I go to latitudes parties and they ask how many NCL cruises people have been on, there are usually one or two people who have been on more than I have.

Do I think Colin Veitch or anyone else at NCL is going to cry if I book another cruiseline? Absolutely not, but they have gained my business they should do something to keep it.

You hit it right on the nail with your comments. I am a platinum member of Princess and we went to nothing when Carnival took over. Now they have Platinum Elite so my former top tier isn't. RCCL has Diamond which was fabulous for us Elite Celebrity cruisers, but last 3 cruises no Concierge Lounge for Diamond members, just suites. So no specialty coffee in the Diamond Lounge where we get to assemble together to drink coffee in a plastic holder that after 30 minutes is cold. WE HAD A aft CABIN FOR 2 WEEKS THAT THE SEWERAGE SYSTEM WENT BONKERS COMING UP THE DRAINS IN OUR BATHROOM WITH NO TOILET OR HOT WATER IN THE SHOWER. So I post telling others booked in 9672 that drydock isn't til FEB 2008 so they don't want that stateroom. RCCL refused to move us or let us leave. They offered $1500 of the $5000 bill refund. So I called them Carnival. Then I get a call telling me that I do not care for them & they do not care for us, so we are both leaving.

So we came to NCL with our TA's recommendation. Better rates than Princess. No way for Carnival. Apollo Gaming gave us a discount since they know me from my gossip colums. So we gamble onboard & get maybe, free cruises. Love the idea of no formal, which is one less luggage. And all the restaurants..............

I don't think your numbers represent any averages. I don't know anyone who travels 8 weeks/ year. In fact I don't know anyone who even has 8 weeks of vacation time per year.

I work for a non profit so I don't think my numbers are representative of the average population either but:

Of the 10 in this office, three have been on cruises. I have been on about 20 in 20 years - 14 NCL. Another has been on 2-four day cruises. One on Carnival and one on Royal Caribbean. One has been on one Carnival.

When I go to latitudes parties and they ask how many NCL cruises people have been on, there are usually one or two people who have been on more than I have.

Do I think Colin Veitch or anyone else at NCL is going to cry if I book another cruiseline? Absolutely not, but they have gained my business they should do something to keep it.

I'm just a lowly Bronze - But I can't find anywhere where it states you are entitled to an updgrade (unless you have the magic coupon). It certainly would be nice to fill all the "wonderful" rooms with past passengers as a perk - but as previously stated, not probable - nor profitable. You did state that they would "note it on the reservation" so maybe you'll get a lovely surprise when you do check in :D One never knows. It certainly would be great. If it happens make sure to let us know. Have a great evening aboard.

First off I would imagine there is quite a bit of paperwork, or computer work, involved in switching someone to a new room. I know it sounds easy but I don't think it is. I understand where you're coming from but I've been on 30 NCL cruises and I haven't been disappointed yet. The same with RCL and Celebrity where I'm a rated cruiser. I pay for the room I want and I don't expect anything more. Occasionally it does happen and that's great. I hear, sometimes your travel agent can be effective in getting an upgrade. Imagine the can of worms they would open if they did do the upgrades all the time?

Its no big deal. They change the room and the computer does the rest but free upgrades unless you luck out on a guarantee are rarely done....

NCL might try to sell an upgrade at the pier but the chances of it free are very small and if they did it for you they would be beseiged with requests...so unless you know Andy Stewart it probably won't happen.

and they do give Platimums a free dinner at Le Bistro....

I am about to embark in 2 weeks on cruise #5 with NCL. 2 days ago NCL announced an impressive fleetwide service upgrade program called Freestyle 2.0. The press release is below and I cut in the part pertaining to Latitudes. For NCL fans this looks like a great thing.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_122007_Freestyle2.0

Past Guest Latitudes program:

• A new program with various tiers rewarding both spend and frequency;
  • A new range of tangible, meaningful and deliverable benefits;
  • A staffed concierge lounge for Latitudes members.

I am about to embark in 2 weeks on cruise #5 with NCL. 2 days ago NCL announced an impressive fleetwide service upgrade program called Freestyle 2.0. The press release is below and I cut in the part pertaining to Latitudes. For NCL fans this looks like a great thing.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_122007_Freestyle2.0

Past Guest Latitudes program:

• A new program with various tiers rewarding both spend and frequency;
  • A new range of tangible, meaningful and deliverable benefits;
  • A staffed concierge lounge for Latitudes members.

yes but what are the levels? I am waiting to see what they are and what the new benefits are.

I like the idea of a staffed lounge...normally they have coffee, tea and other drinks sounds like a grand idea...!

when we sailed in 1995 & 1997 on Norway which was before Latitudes. NCL has no records of past passengers that cruised with us 12 years ago. Our friend's realtive who was our TA, has been dead all those years, so no recipt, seapass, nothing. A few photos of that grand ship & we got the balconies that were just installed.

But we are AFT BA balcony, so we will get something as stated. My TA told us we will have robes too.

when we sailed in 1995 & 1997 on Norway which was before Latitudes. NCL has no records of past passengers that cruised with us 12 years ago. Our friend's realtive who was our TA, has been dead all those years, so no recipt, seapass, nothing. A few photos of that grand ship & we got the balconies that were just installed.

But we are AFT BA balcony, so we will get something as stated. My TA told us we will have robes too.

Do you have anything, even pictures, that show you were on the Norway. I read about a guy who sent a picture of himself, in NCL gear, on GSC, with an NCL ship in the backgroud-NCL credited him with that sailing. Others have some small detail that NCL has accepted as proof of prior cruises-before the Latitudes program started. Can't hurt.

There are many perks for Latitudes members, but I have yet to hear or read of a free cruise or upgrade. Why does everyone want something free? This is a cruise line, owned by a corporation of stockholders whose only interest is the bottom line, not happy repeat customers.

Perhaps some of the Platinum members bought into the $3000. rewards program that was offered a few years ago, like us. On the original flyer that we were given on board the Dawn, it stated "As platinum Latitudes members, you will be given priority choice of upgrades..." No one seems to remember this. It was one of the reasons we paid $3000. for this program. Yes, we did get good use of the $3000 on future cruises and were eventually given Platinum benefits, but this one statement has never been honored or remembered. Push come to shove, I still have the flyer. This is not meant in the manner of a complaint. The program only lasted a short time because they were not able to give us the service (hotel vacations, etc) they promoted so they have us "grandfathered "

platinum latitudes membership. Nothing was said regarding the upgrades..nor has it been offered in the last 5 cruises. When we speak to our PCC or a Latitudes rep. no one has heard of it.

NCL should mirror the FF programs of the airlines however they should base the points on money spent per cruise and not on how many cruises a person takes. Starwood Hotels and Resorts has a great program for their frequent travelers that wins the Freddie Awards each year.

There is no reason that someone who spends lots of $$$ per cruise and accumulates points should not get upgraded to the Courtyard Villa if it were available.

NCL should mirror the FF programs of the airlines however they should base the points on money spent per cruise and not on how many cruises a person takes. Starwood Hotels and Resorts has a great program for their frequent travelers that wins the Freddie Awards each year.

There is no reason that someone who spends lots of $$$ per cruise and accumulates points should not get upgraded to the Courtyard Villa if it were available.

Delta bases its FF and upgrades on both mileage and segments. It has nothing to do with the amount paid....there are bonuses given for business class and first class PAID flying but the reality is that most of those seats are given to upgrades to frequent flyers by the number of segments(flights) flown.

that is why airlines went bankrupt. NCL needs to make money and base their latitutes points both on stays and money spent. Starwood is a highly profitable hotel company and like I said they base their points on stays and MONEY spent.

NCL must make money.. They should rewards those pax who indeed spend a lot of $$$. For instance is it fair to NCL to give the same amount of points to someone who takes five cruises in an inside cabin as a pax who takes five cruises who takes a courtyard villa. Of course not! If you owned the company you would reward your best passengers and they are the ones spendiing money

On our last cruise I felt NCL went a bit above and beyond on our perks. We are Gold level but we got a free fruit basket and a bottle of wine from the cruise line beside the bottle our TA sent us. They also had a treat for us in the cabin (an Inside) every day. If I read the perks right we are only supposed to get treats twice. We also had a consierge which we never needed to utilize and priority tenders.

I was glad to have the consierge even though we didn't need him. They can get reservations you can't necessarily get on your own.

Archived