Bad time to go to the Caribbean?

Dr_DNA

Is there a "bad" time to go to the Caribbean? We were thinking of booking a February/March cruise on the Explorer (12 day Caribbean) which would help us get through the winter here on the East Coast. In looking at the prices though, it might appear not to be a good time becuase they are lower than January and April and on sailings. Previously we were going to book a Bermuda cruise in April/May but many advised against that because the water would be rather cold then. Is there also some word of caution about a Caribbean cruise?

Thanks!!!!

Hi DOC,

No "bad" times in the Caribbean! Hurricane season will yield great deals, however, you may have to deal with a few changes to you trip if there is a storm. Hurricane season runs from June to October. We usually cruise in April which is a great time.(just be careful not to go during spring break) We have also cruised in November and December. Nothing like spending the holidays in a warm climate (if you're from a cold one!)

Whatever you choose to do, have a great cruise!!

Is there a "bad" time to go to the Caribbean? We were thinking of booking a February/March cruise on the Explorer (12 day Caribbean) which would help us get through the winter here on the East Coast. In looking at the prices though, it might appear not to be a good time becuase they are lower than January and April and on sailings. Previously we were going to book a Bermuda cruise in April/May but many advised against that because the water would be rather cold then. Is there also some word of caution about a Caribbean cruise?

Thanks!!!!

Weather-wise: In September and October seems to be when you are likely to run into bad weather, as in hurricanes... you may miss ports or it may be cloudy... however, the prices during this time just can't be beat...

February and March: The reason you see higher prices is due to Spring Break... which depending on where you live can start as early as President's Week (some northern schools have a mid-winter break during that week), stretches all through March and into mid-April... lots of kids in various age groups... from college age and down...

Amybear912:

I guess that I didn't word the pricing well- February and March prices are actually lower than they are for the same cruise in January and April. I would have thought that it was the other way around, as you explained. That is why I was questioning myself. Thanks!

Amybear912:

I guess that I didn't word the pricing well- February and March prices are actually lower than they are for the same cruise in January and April. I would have thought that it was the other way around, as you explained. That is why I was questioning myself. Thanks!

WOW!!! Now THAT is a switch from recent years...I stand corrected...

Personally, we always cruise in February and have found the ships to be not too crowded, the weather is comfortable... Summer seems to be almost too hot...

This coming year we are planning one for September also and I couldn't believe how low the prices are...

I love booking cruises in February. As you said, it's great to get out of the cold as I live in New England. I've always found the first or second week of Feb to have great prices, no spring breakers yet either and not many kids. I love our Valentine's day cruises. :) We've always had great weather too, nice and warm, but not too humid.

Actually, hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30.

Yes....and then we had that sneaky "Olga" come along.....:eek:

No bad time for us in the Caribbean....just a change of ports or itinerary, and really great deals in Sept./Oct. when we cruise!

Have a Great Time whatever you decide!

I don't think I would have a problem booking during hurricane season, tho I would choose fall over summer due to kiddies and hopefully lower rates.

The way I see it, the captain will avoid danger so what's to worry? fly in a day or two ahead, buy insurance (which I so far have not) and don't get too attached to the ports cuz you might see others!

The other posters have already mentioned hurrican season.

I think the best idea is to check weather for the ports that you are visiting. If you are going in Dec/Jan/Feb you should check the port averages (esp those that are farther north). We used to go to Cancun for Christmas - weather was typically around 75 degrees. Some people thought that was great, others were expecting warmer weiather. If you have any concerns, southern pretty much always warm. Also, just remember to factor in weather in your home town - if you risk snow in your area factor that into your flight plans - don't want to miss your cruise 'cause you can't get out of your airport.

As far as I am concerned there is no bad time to cruise. I would go any day, any week of the year if I could. But realistically, Augut to October you run the risk of hurricanes and in the winter you run the risk of a blizzard keeping you from getting to the port. There is no fast rule for good time. Just get out there and go.

The only bad thing about that time of year is Spring break crowds, but I would think a 12 day cruise would be immune to that. (But what do I know, a 12 day cruise is only a dream at this point.)

You might be surprised if you looked at the 12 day Caribbean cruise prices for the Explorer in 2009; I was!

We decided to book the Mariner for Sept 2008 because the deals were just incredible probably because it is hurricane season. I did take out the insurance though just in case but being that I live 15 minutes from the port, I figured if a hurricane hit and I couldn't go, chances are the ship couldn't either.

And if a hurricane comes up while I am gone, my neighbors will put up my shutters and my cat sitter will care for the cats. And I just have to hope there is no damage.

We did Bermuda in early May and yes it was cold and rainy pretty much the whole time, seas were rough and boat was rocking, but I had a blast anyway.

Just got off the Sovereign this week and the weather was 82 in the Bahamas, absolutely beautiful the whole time.

It's always going to be hit or miss as far as weather goes, because small storms can pop up at any time, weather can change from one day to the next. Just pick a time that is good for your schedule and go for it. Don't let the weather dictate your fun. The ships have so much to do that it won't matter what the weather is.

All our cruises except the first one and this one coming up in March have been in October. WE know ahead of time what could change and go with the flow. This one coming up will be our 9th cruise. May have to put them off till every other year as my daughter was just accepted into college.

Michele

As you can see, below, we are booked on the Mariner of the Seas in February. If you were to book the same cruise today, with the same cabin (Promenade) it would cost $250 more per person :eek: We booked last June during a WOW sale day, so we also got $100 OBC. So we are $600 ahead at this point.

We thought the sailings in Feb. would have fewer pax. as mentioned, but our cruise seems to be filling up - several cabin categories are all gone!

I can't wait, regardless!

Patt

We are booked in Mid February...(2/17/08) on the Freedom, out of Miami on the Western route. My little sis is turning 50 at that time and was her choice on how to celebrate that half century.

Thus no choice on the dates.

Will post a review and let you know how that turns out.

No matter what the seas or the weather....as long as we are together.

:)

Cheers!

Hi

I Just Came Back From Cruising The Southern Carribean On The Serendade Of The Seas ( 12/08 To 12/15) . We Had 2 Ruff Nights Due To A Tropical Storm. My Friends Were On The Adventure Of The Seas The Same Week (Following a different Itinerary) And Also Had A Couple Of Rocky Nights.

Even Though Hurricane Season Ends In November You May Not Have Perfect Weather. I Also Had The Same Experience For One Night In March , Several Years Ago, In The Western Carribean. Everyone Still Had A Great Time!

we are on a 12 day in feb of 09 also. Excellent price, $400 obc. And best of all, no airfare to get to the ship :)

I figure we will lose the first two and last two days to cold weather. But that leaves 8 beautiful days. Lots of ports and an aft balcony.

I'm good with that.

Archived