Anything new on East coast departing ports?

Sayyadina

We took the Maasdam out of Norfolk in 4/06 due to it being nice and close to home. I see that NCL Majesty is going to be going out of Baltimore next year. Any news on HAL expanding their options on the East Coast? I'd much prefer to take HAL again over the RCI Granduer or NCL Majesty...

Thanks all! This is alwasy such a great place to visit.

You could consider HAL's Maasdam sailing from Boston to Montreal and back. Those Canada/New England cruises in the spring/summer/fall are terrific IMO

Noordam is still sailing from New York roundtrip to the Caribbean but not for that much longer. Maybe you could book one of those cruises?

We took the Maasdam out of Norfolk in 4/06 due to it being nice and close to home. I see that NCL Majesty is going to be going out of Baltimore next year. Any news on HAL expanding their options on the East Coast? I'd much prefer to take HAL again over the RCI Granduer or NCL Majesty...

Thanks all! This is alwasy such a great place to visit.

As Sail has suggested, you could always take the Noordam out of NYC...there's still space on the 2/6 sailing!;)

That's a great idea. You could sail HAL on the new ship which debuts in July......Eurodam. That three day intro cruise is very tempting for people who don't have far to travel or might want to combine the three day cruise with additional travel in New York/New England.

That's an idea. Actually, it would kill two birds with one stone, I was planning on inviting my mother, MIL, and various other family members to join my DH and I, but they've never been cruising and don't know if they'd like it. This would give them a nice taste of it, so to speak.

Now, this may be a stupid question: would we need passports for this cruise-to-nowhere?

That's an idea. Actually, it would kill two birds with one stone, I was planning on inviting my mother, MIL, and various other family members to join my DH and I, but they've never been cruising and don't know if they'd like it. This would give them a nice taste of it, so to speak.

Now, this may be a stupid question: would we need passports for this cruise-to-nowhere?

There will be no port of call other than NYC, so a passport would not be needed.

If you decide to take this cruise, come over and look at our roll call which is already going.

No passport since you won't have to fly home.:D

You could consider HAL's Maasdam sailing from Boston to Montreal and back. Those Canada/New England cruises in the spring/summer/fall are terrific IMO

If I might ask - which of those months do you find the nicest for scenic viewing? We're wanting to do that in '09, and know we'll have to book early - just can't decide exactly which times to book. Thanks!

If I might ask - which of those months do you find the nicest for scenic viewing? We're wanting to do that in '09, and know we'll have to book early - just can't decide exactly which times to book. Thanks!

Donna.....

Many folks would say fall so you could see the trees changing color and I agree it is a very beautiful sight......some years better than others.

But, I would not pick that as my first choice. I think June and August are better depending upon if you like warm weather. Mid to late October can be very chilly and less fun for sightseeing IMO The weather in Maine/Halifax/PEI/Quebec/Montreal I find much more pleasant during summer months.

There really is not a bad time to take those cruises though.

I highly recommend it.

You know that we live in Boston and have done that cruise every summer for the past 4 or so summers and have it booked again for August, 2008. We absolutely love it AND Maasdam. :)

You better check with Holland America or your Travel Agent. You are sailing into international waters. US Customs will still handle the immigration and may require a passport.

You better check with Holland America or your Travel Agent. You are sailing into international waters. US Customs will still handle the immigration and may require a passport.

This is always good advice, so I went into the HAL site this morning for clarification. Without a port stop outside U.S. territory, U.S. citizens will not need a passport to depart or re-enter the U.S.

That being said, everyone in the party will need appropriate ID to board. We always carry our passports since this is the best form of ID. HAL registration requires you to designate if you are using a certified birth certificate in place of a passport. Since there is a lot of time (and the winter is quieter than the summer for passport applications), I suggest those in the party who do not have passports get one. It will just make the whole process easier.

If the ship makes no stops, there will be no Customs or Immigrations inspections. However, one never knows about 'unforeseens'..... When we leave home, we bring our passports automatically. We'd rather be safe than sorry and heaven forbid there were some unforeseen emergency which caused a deviation from our original plans, it would be one less thing to stress about.

I can't imagine what that would be for a 3 day cruise to nowhere out of New York but who knows?!! That why it's called 'unforeseen'.

You will need proprer ID just to board. When we visit a ship from time to time, they want to see a government issued photo ID when we board just for a visit.

Archived