DH wants to wear T-neck not tie on formal nt

shops54

The only time I saw anyone turned away on a formal night, was when I guy dressed just like he came out of the swamps(a la deliverance), in a tank top and shorts with his big hairy belly sticking out from under his too short tank be refused and he actually had the nerve to make a scene. Needless to say, that wasn't the only time that family caused a scene on our cruise. I have never bforgotten them or wondered where they came from and why they thought they wanted to cruise. The whole family mother, father and kids were totally trashy.

Enough said.... I am sure you will be more than fine.

Why??? What makes it incumbent upon the husband to dress if he does not choose to.:confused: My DH chooses not to dress up most of the time, he will if he wants to. On quite a few formal nights I dine in the DR while he dines comfortably in the Lido. I don't force him to dress up, he doesn't force me to dress down.:D That's what makes cruising so great! To each his/her own.

I thought the OP was asking for opinions.

They don't have to dress alike, I just think that if it a big occasion that it would be nice if he dressed to match his wife. Apparently she likes to dress up and eat in the dining room (she is asking whether they would be permitted in) - I don't think it is to much to ask him to dress up for a special event. I mean, he does it for a meeting at work, surely a special dinner with her is more important.

Would you really eat in the dining room and your husband in the Lido for a 20th anniversary celebration?

Thank you all so much for your (mostly) encouraging comments and especially for your well wishes on our 20th celebration. The truth is that DH ASKED me if it would be ok to wear a turtleneck - he would never want me to be uncomfortable because of his preferences. When I think of the times in 20 years that he has bent over backwards to accommodate me - well it sure is easy to give in to this one quirk of his. My only concern was if we would be turned away on formal night or not. Thank you for all your knowledgeable responses. It seems we will be dressed just fine. By the way -I did buy him two nice turtlenecks for Christmas already and I love the way he will look in them. I think that night we'll choose a table for two. (ayw dining on the Oosterdam). Thanks again and a blessed holiday to everyone!

A suit (not a sports coat) with a turtleneck (not a mock-T) would be fine.
Just out of curiosity: What's the difference whether it is a a full turtleneck or a mock turtleneck? Typically, the reason why one wears the latter instead of the former is that it is too warm.

Just out of curiosity: What's the difference whether it is a a full turtleneck or a mock turtleneck? Typically, the reason why one wears the latter instead of the former is that it is too warm.

These days the mock-Ts look more like crewneck t-shirts, to me....

I am NOT complaining - on this my 20th anniversary with the sweetest man on earth. Just wondering if we will be allowed into the dining room with him in a Turtleneck and sport coat or suit ?? I will be in a formal gown. I told him I'd really miss him in the dining room that night;). He just hates so bad wearing a tie - it reminds him of work. He just told me last night that he doesn't wear a tie every day now - keeps two in his desk drawer for meetings! He's pretty cute in his turtleneck so I'm fine with it. What can people tell me? We're on the Oosterdam in early January. Thanks so much.

It's your cruise, isn't it? If he is that uncomfortable in a tie, then I certainly wouldn't try to push him to wear one.

As long as he doesn't look slovenly, I personally see nothing wrong with him wearing his t-neck and a jacket. And, you know what? Despite the published dress code, I doubt HAL will either. Dress codes are lightening up on all cruise lines these days. Half the time, I don't see them being enforced that rigidly on HAL ... unless, as I said, someone looks absolutely slovenly ... like coming to the dining room in a tee-shirt and jeans (or shorts) on formal night.

Tell your husband to enjoy his cruise ... t-neck and all!

Blue skies ...

--rita

The only time I saw anyone turned away on a formal night, was when I guy dressed just like he came out of the swamps(a la deliverance), in a tank top and shorts with his big hairy belly sticking out from under his too short tank be refused and he actually had the nerve to make a scene.

The only time I ever saw anyone refused service was when two men came into the Ocean Bar one formal night ... bellied up to the bar and proceeded to take stools. They were both wearing tee-shirts and shorts. The bartender very quietly and very discreetly told them they would be better served elsewhere on the ship. To their credit, neither made any type of scene. They just got down from their stools and moved off to find their libations in a more inviting atmosphere ... I'm guessing the Lido Bar.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have been on 10 cruises so far and going on the 2008 - Amsterdam World cruise next week - with 21 formal nights and 23 fancy dress nights yikes I hate dressing up. I had to do that for 40 yrs at the office. I will attend formals but hate being tied up like a monkey hahahah.

Let your husband be if you are fine with it - that is what matters - I am sure he wont be turned away. I have seen people on HAL come in the dining room in T shirts and jeans so he will be perfectly well dressed. If HAL turned him away they are asking for a big problem I would say. This is a vacation - for relaxation and fun - not a formal meeting of the Queen of England ... enjoy - life is much to short to worry about all of this nonesense... happy sailing

Frankie-Toronto

This is a vacation - for relaxation and fun - not a formal meeting of the Queen of England ... enjoy - life is much to short to worry about all of this nonesense... happy sailing

LOL ... you wanna see formal, just travel on a transatlantic onboard the QE2. You would honestly think the Queen was aboard. However, even there ... one night in that formalwear was enough for me. I said screw it. I dressed nice, but wasn't going to stuff myself into uncomfortable clothes any longer. And you know what? Nobody gave me a second look. I was fine each evening at both dinner and afterwards.

Swore I would never sail that boat again, though ... and now it doesn't matter since she's going out of service next fall anyway. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

LOL ... you wanna see formal, just travel on a transatlantic onboard the QE2. You would honestly think the Queen was aboard. However, even there ... one night in that formalwear was enough for me. I said screw it. I dressed nice, but wasn't going to stuff myself into uncomfortable clothes any longer. And you know what? Nobody gave me a second look. I was fine each evening at both dinner and afterwards.

Swore I would never sail that boat again, though ... and now it doesn't matter since she's going out of service next fall anyway. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

But there's no reason at all why formal wear needs to be uncomfortable...

Nor, of course, would polite people say anything to you - no matter how inappropriately you were dressed.

He will not be refused entrance....but.....a turtle neck is not formal, and after all it is "formal night." I would be a little uncomfortable if most oters were in Tuxes, and I wasn't....especially if it was hanging in my cabin closet....

He will not be refused entrance....but.....a turtle neck is not formal, and after all it is "formal night." I would be a little uncomfortable if most oters were in Tuxes, and I wasn't....especially if it was hanging in my cabin closet....

I wear a tux, but.........................they are not required men's wear on formal nights and I've seen those wearing them on dam ships outnumbered! The man is wearing a suit with a turtle dove, I mean, neck. There will be numerous other males wearing anything from suits to sports coats with slacks, and maybe even some pink tutus. He'll be fine!

We had 2 formal nights. My DH wore his tux on the first night. Unfortunately, he saw a man in slacks and a shirt, no tie...

So, next formal night he got up tight and said he was not going to wear slacks and his blue blazer. Instead :( he wore jeans, a turtle neck shirt and a windbreaker.

I told him the Maitre d would not let him in the dining room and would make him go back and change. Well, :rolleyes: when we entered the Maitre 'd

had just left his station and he walked right in, sat down and put his napkin in his lap to hide his jeans. :eek: I was dressed in a cocktail dress.

This was not his usual behavior, but he has been sick so I didn't fuss at him any more.

Archived