What is your mix of vacations?

Orcrone

What is your mix of vacations?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What is your mix of vacations?

• All my vacations are cruises.
    • I mainly take cruises, but occassionally I throw in a land vacation
    • My mix is about 50/50
    • I mainly take land vacations, along with an occassional cruise.
    • I never cruise, I just read the boards because I'd like to cruise.
    • I thought this board was for Tom Cruise fans.

OK, I know some people are tired of polls. But after reading about S7S booking a back 2 back I wondered whether every vacation she took was a cruise, or whether there are other vacations sprinkled in there. Then I figured I'd pose the question to everyone, rather than just S7S (but SAIL, you're of course entitled to answer also).:)

I'm actually not sure how I'd answer this question. Up to last spring I had only been on one cruise in my life. But between last spring (2003) and next spring we'll have three more cruises.

However, in the future I think it will be about 50/50 for DW and I (although it would be more heavily weighted to the cruises if it was just me).:D

The past few years we have taken a cruise with group of friends every other year and then GF and I do a land based vacation in the interim year.

This is land based year. Las Vegas and Palm Springs in Oct.

New Orleans in Nov

2005 cruise is still pending :)

We used to be strictly land people. However, several years ago we discovered a more civilized way to travel. Getting to go different places while having to unpack/repack only one time struck a harmonious chord with us. Yes, we still work in an occasional road trip or flight to another state; but cruising is our vacation of choice for now. As long as the Good Lord gives us good health and the means to do it, we will continue.

I voted the 50/50 although our only cruises have been in the past year, but we love it and plan on doing the 50/50 in the future we have traveled quite alot over the years land based. But now we will definately throw in at least one cruise a year!:D
With a name like waterlovers it makes sense that you'd love cruising!!;)

My wife and I primarily do cruises, with a land tour every three years or so.

Embarrassed to admit that I have seen many parts of the world, but little of some of the scenic and/or historical wonders of the United States.

Michael

I voted cruises only but that goes for the year of 2004 and 2005, up till we discovered cruising in 2002 we would go to Hawaii once to twice a year. After 6 years of Hawaii we decided to start cruising for both yearly vacations. Last year we did spring in the Caribbean and October in Kona. I am guessing after a few more years of cruising for all vacations we may decide to return to Kona which we dearly love. (I think the common theme here is WATER:cool: )

Some how I doubt we will get burned out on cruising with so many places to cruise. I would like to go to Europe or Asia or Australia but that will take a lot of days for vacation and at this time doubt I can get away that long.

About 3/4 of my vacation time is spent cruising. I'm due 5 weeks of vacation time each year, but Christopher only gets 3 weeks. Hence, he and I cruise together about 2 or 3 weeks every year. Then, my other 2 weeks of vacation usually get spent either solo-cruising or with a land trip of some sort. In 2005 I'm going to do 1 week of solo cruising in Feb, 2 weeks on a land-tour Israel of (yes, that's back on) in April, and then 2 weeks cruising in Nov/Dec. :)

I voted mostly land-based w/ an occasional cruise, although that's not totally true. All land-based with DH, and my recent Zuiderdam sailing was my first cruise in FOREVER, and my husband wants no part of cruising. We enjoy immersing ourselves in the local culture (as well as under the water!)of places we visit, and that's difficult when one can only spend 8 hours in one place. But I keep telling him, hey, we can dive in 3 or 4 different countries in ONE WEEK!! Oh well, I have more vacation than him anyway :) so next time I'll just go it alone, and tell him all about all the diving I did while he was at home refusing to indulge... :p

Based on number of days, it's about 50-50 since our cruises tend to be 10-14 days while the land trips are more 3-7 days, but more frequent (I like to tie in a 2-3 day mini-vacation with business trips to new, or favorite, areas). And there are still places we'd like to visit which aren't easy to get to on a cruise (Nepal, for example :) ). Plus, there are those cities (e.g.,Paris) where we can spend as many days as possible and still not see it all. So the mix will probably stay 50-50 for the foreseeable future.

-dave

Does visiting family count as a "land vacation"?

Other than seeing them, it's gonna be all cruises this year - tho I am overdue a visit to friends in Palm Springs...

All us single/abandoned HAL cruisers should think about getting together and doing a cruise together! Where/what ship are ya on in Feb Rev?

Does visiting family count as a "land vacation"?

Other than seeing them, it's gonna be all cruises this year - tho I am overdue a visit to friends in Palm Springs...

All us single/abandoned HAL cruisers should think about getting together and doing a cruise together! Where/what ship are ya on in Feb Rev?

Not with my family *LOL*

Before last summer cruises weren't our traditional vacation... We didn't even have any vacations between move to US (March 1996) and end of 2000.

Usually we did All-inclusive and/or week in Europe with friends. Since last July 2003 we went on 3 cruises and have another one planned for next April...But I don't think we will only cruise in a feauture. We only have 2 weeks of vacation in a year (my DH doesn't have paid vacation as he is self-employed). Our mix will probably consist of 1 cruise + 1 European (or other land vacation).

Where/what ship are ya on in Feb Rev?

I'm on the Oosterdam for their Feb 5th cruise out of San Diego to Mexico. I coudln't pass on the incredible deal ... the price was perfect. And, I've long-wanted to try out a Vista ship, like the Oosterdam.

I coudln't pass on the incredible deal ... the price was perfect. And, I've long-wanted to try out a Vista ship, like the Oosterdam.
Just nit-picking, but while you may have received a very good price, for it to be perfect they would have had to have placed you in the penthouse suite for free with a very large shipboard credit.:D

Now that would be perfect.:)

RevNeal, just like you I could not pass up the deal Oosterdam 29 Feb. 2005. I was allready booked 8 days SD-Alcapulco-SD on the Carnival Spirit Nov. 9-17 and Transatlantic May 1st 14 days on RRC Legend of the Sea to London. Can't pass up a bargain.

I hope the cruiselines don't send anymore bargain, I will have to win the lottery soon.

Both my wife and I are semi-retired. We typically do two or three land vacations (almost exclusively driving trips here in the US) and two cruises together each year.

My wife has a bit more flexible schedule than I do, so she often makes one more land trip (usually to her favorite spa down in Tecate). And, recently she has added a solo cruise during the 4-month period that I have to work full-time (bummer!)

Archived