Food across HAL Fleet

meidda

Ahoy!

Generally, the provisions (foodstuffs) and logistics of moving said provisions on cruise lines are dependent (but not totally) on pre-purchase agreements (futures, as it were) similar to your local chain supermarket.

Likewise, menu guidelines, recipes & standards (and preparation thereof) are set by the cruise line, hotel, resort, etc. for consistency of preparation and taste (I'm talking about meeting consumer expectations & variety yet keeping 'food costs' to a minimum = bottom line in the food service end of things).

With that said, individual ships on various cruise lines have standard cyclic menus for 7,10 and 14 day cruises as prescribed by the corporate entity. However, the onboard 'galley meister', executive / head chef has the

discretion to 'tweek' items in their preparation and presentation that makes 'their dish' more unique and more tasteful then, say, others, (who also follow must the same guidelines, consistent recipes, etc., utilizing available foodstuffs).

I might add, the kitchen staff is critical. Having them prep the items properly, present the items according to the chef's desire's and having them serve the items at the 'critical temperature (cold items cold, hot items hot) makes or breaks great food).

HAL does a superior job for the number of 'platings' they do daily for so-called 'institutional' cooking.

I believe you will be pleased. Bon Appetit!

Bon Voyage, Good Health & Merry Christmas!

Bob:)

The following observation refelects my personal bias, but also a bit of "industry insider" information.....

I've had four HAL voyages, and while enjoying the food on all, I felt the food aboard Prinsendam was quite superior to the others. Just a bit extra quality in every area (food temperature and appearance especially). And it is easier to be better in those two areas when: (1) You are preparing food for fewer passengers and (2) your dining areas are physically smaller spaces, hence tables are closer to the galley.

So I'm going to say, to the OP's original question, that my answer is No, you might very well find food quality to vary from ship to ship within one cruise line. Especially if one ship has a greatly different passenger capacity than the next.

I haven't addressed alternative dining venues, where from ship to ship, and cruise line to cruise line, there are some wide variations!

Palms:

I wonder if the Prinsendam has a higher budget for food than say a VISTA class ship, given the significant differences in per day average cabin revenue. Or perhaps, the difference compensates for reduced onboard spending on the Prinsendam.

We have found that there are variations in preparation and presentation among the HAL ships. I do think, however, that meals on some HAL ships are better than on others. I don't know what factors constitute the differences, but there are differences.

GN

We have sailed on 5 different HAL ships and the food, and menu selection, varies from ship to ship. Shorter cruises seem to have set menus which are served over and over each cruise, ie a 7 day menu which is repeated week after week with different cruisers. Long cruises have very extensive, elegant menus, and even local dishes from the ports. For example, while in Manaus Brazil the head chef went to the local fish-market a purchased freshly caught Amazon river fish and served it in the dining rooms. I think the quality and presentation of dishes is definately

dependant on the cooking staff aboard each ship, and although they are all overall good, some are much better than others. Morale of the staff has a lot to do with it too. Happy cooks, bakers/chefs do a much better job. But I have never had "bad" food aboard a Holland Ship. It's always better than most restaurants ashore.

I definitely think each Executive Chef/Hotel Manager greatly influence the food on various ships. While we have never been on an HAL ship and thought the food not good, we have been on some ships that we think is superior to others.

Funny how we are now at the point that we can guess (prior to actually finding out) if a certain Chef is in the kitchen. That happened to us on our recent Maasdam cruise. We did not know who the Chef was and we knew that Hotel Manager Firmin van Walle had left that morning. We said goodbye to him.

BUT at dinner the first night, I said to DH, I think Chef Schumann is in the galley and sure enough, we saw him the next day in Lido. His food is outstanding and while he uses the same (basic) recipes required throughout the fleet, his individual touch is very identifiable to us.

No wonder he will be 'take out' Chef for Eurodam!!

We are going on our first HAL cruise next month. We have been on other lines. We have found that the food and service can vary greatly between ships of the same cruise line. I put it down to the staff-specifically the executive chef, food and beverage manager, and the hotel manager. If they run a good operation and the staff is happy and has high morale/teamwork it really does shine through. The opposite is also true. All things being equal, this is a service business.

hammybee got it right.

Most cruise lines budget their food based on itinerary, time of year, demographics, and type of cruise.

An Alaska cruise normally gets more money to spend than a Caribbean Cruise. Those Alaska Cruisers paid more for the cruise and should get more (and better) for their money.

A World Cruise normally receives the highest food budget. Many of the passengers spent big money for the trip and expect more. Since many are onboard so long, a much wider variety of menus is used (at higher cost) to avoid burn-out on the same menus repeating.

Repositioning Cruises usually have the lowest food budgets. Passengers have often paid next to nothing for a quick sampler trip. The food budgets on repo cruises often mirror those bargain basement fares.

Repositioning Cruises usually have the lowest food budgets. Passengers have often paid next to nothing for a quick sampler trip. The food budgets on repo cruises often mirror those bargain basement fares.

What repositioning were you on? We have done a few 19 and 22 day repositioning cruises (in suites) and there were no bargain basement fares on any of them. We didn't pay next to nothing and they certainly aren't quick sampler cruises.

We found the found quality/selection/preparation and service on our Maasdam Canada/New England cruises to be very much the same as our ten day Caribbean cruise on Maasdam. We have sailed Maasdam a lot this year and found the food to be very consistent and the Caribbean cruise to be equally as good.

What repositioning were you on? We have done a few 19 and 22 day repositioning cruises (in suites) and there were no bargain basement fares on any of them. We didn't pay next to nothing and they certainly aren't quick sampler cruises.

Take a close look at the Rotterdam repositioning cruises between So. America and Europe. This fabulous intinerary in an average cabin, can easily be had for less than $100 a day.

I see similar prices on Autumn cruises returning to U.S. ports, too.

The cost of food per person per day on cruise lines range from a high of $18.00 per day to a low of $6.00 per day.Hal was at $12.00 per day as recently as 2003 ,but has been dropping and now stands at close to $10.00 per day.That is why there is little shrimp or other higher cost food items.More chicken,pork,lamb,ect.I also doubt that any fresh fish was bought in Brazil.Some fruits and veg are bought in some ports,but no fish or meats.Even in Europe all meats and fish are sent from the U.S.in containers

KK, when I think of a repositioning cruise I instantly thing of a 3 or 4 day cruise that takes the ship from Vancouver to San Diego. That could be what BruceMuzz was also thinking. Those cruises are dirt cheap so the amount HAL spends for food is far less.

We were onboard the AMSTERDAM for a 14 day re-positioning cruise from New York to Copenhagen.

The food was certainly very good indeed -- among the best I've had on any ship in the HAL fleet.

The only fault we found was in the 'fee extra' restaurant (reservations only). I believe it was called the PINNACLE. The food was fine but the maitre d' and the waiter left something out. Service was OK but not more than that.

what on earth is a 'take out' chef? i think of Pizza Hut or Chinese ...

harry

ps: his food was excellent on that cruise!

:) Yes, Indeed....

My reference to Chef Robert Schumann as 'take out Chef' is because he will be the Executive Chef 'taking' Eurodam out of the Fincantieri Boatyard when HAL takes possession for her Inaugural Activities and Maiden Voyage etc. The crew which first staffs/mans the ship is called the 'take out' team, if you will

Archived