Might happen to you

christinelee

With the Carnival take over, is this next on Princess? (taken from the Carnival Caper room paper):

"You will find a Carnival Beach Towel in your stateroom. This towel is to be used ashore and on Lido Deck. Please not that if you lose the towel or leave it on deck you will be charged $22. Ask your stateroom steward how to purchase one of these souvenir towels so you can take it home with you."

I can totally see their point if it does. Too many just leave wet towels behind (I have seen it) onshore since they aren't responsible enough to return them to the ship.

So, if Princess impliments this practice, I totally can understand the reasoning behind it. I have no problem at all with it if they do.

I might be istaken, but I thought this was already the policy on Princess. I remember being told a few times that you are responsible for the towels and will be charged for them. It was also stated that some of the natives on the islands will offer to take the towels back to the ship for you for a small fee and they never make it so you get charged.

I'm with Toto on this as I see nothing wrong with charging people for their irresponsibility.

As for what Carnival does with the "takeover of Princess," that's old news as it was years ago. The cruise industry itself has changed more than any possible "Carnivalizations."

On a cruise a couple of yrs ago we were at a beach in Coz and I noticed a stack of blue and white stripes laying on a bench inside the lunch/bar building

I asked the bartender why they were there in a pile and he said they were picked up on the beach the prior evening. He did not volunteer to tell me what they were planning to do with the towels so I told him I would take them back to the ship. To shorten this story I wont go into the gory details but they agreed to give me the towels. There were 13. We took them back to the ship and turned them over to the purser with appropriate comments regarding the folks at the beach bar.

you bet I agree there should be a charge for lost or stolen towels --

Earl

On a cruise a couple of yrs ago we were at a beach in Coz and I noticed a stack of blue and white stripes laying on a bench inside the lunch/bar building

I asked the bartender why they were there in a pile and he said they were picked up on the beach the prior evening. He did not volunteer to tell me what they were planning to do with the towels so I told him I would take them back to the ship. To shorten this story I wont go into the gory details but they agreed to give me the towels. There were 13. We took them back to the ship and turned them over to the purser with appropriate comments regarding the folks at the beach bar.

Earl

Earl-you are a Prince among men!!! :)

With the Carnival take over, is this next on Princess? (taken from the Carnival Caper room paper):

"You will find a Carnival Beach Towel in your stateroom. This towel is to be used ashore and on Lido Deck. Please not that if you lose the towel or leave it on deck you will be charged $22. Ask your stateroom steward how to purchase one of these souvenir towels so you can take it home with you."

Carnival has owned Princess cruise for quite some time now. Carnival has had tht towel policy in place for at least 3 years now. If it hasn't been implemented yet I would be surprised if it went into effect any time soon on Princess. That doesn't mean it won't ever happen on Princess though.

Bill

Sounds very reasonable. I would like to get a fresh towel if I exchange it for a wet, used towel.. one for one. Other than that.. they are not 'paper' towels..

At many resorts, you have to give an ID to take out a towel, when you bring it back, you get your ID card back (or, I think they are called "towel cards"). Upon checkout, if you don't return your towel cards, you pay for the towels.

Earl

On several islands I have seen the infamous blue/white towels adorning the drivers seats of several vehicles driving around. :)

Not sure if they enforce it a whole lot though.

They still have poolside towels, so you don't have to run back to your room to get the forgotten towel, nor do you have to carry the used towel back and exchange it for a clean one. They also still hand them out as you leave the ship.

I agree with everyone ... bring the towels back!!! But, I think the policy is probably there more as a deterrent and to make folks "think twice" before leaving the towel on the beach. Has anyone ever heard of anyone actually being charged? It would be so easy for someone to say "someone accidentally took it from my chair at the pool!" Happy Holidays everyone!

Archived