Antours?

trish1c

thanks so much for your review i booked my tour for jan 2009 cruise...but now im concerned about these extra guides.. i will ask the tour guide in advance. but thanks for the heads up

Don't get me wrong, we appreciated the extra guide at the falls. We wouldn't have known about the lower trail without him! But, if you don't want to spend the extra $5 pp, just ask in advance what he charges, then say no thanks! None needed at the Sulphur Springs, as it's a short walk anyway.

Enjoy!

We were also on the river tubing trip with Antours in late Nov. and it was magnificent! After some highlights of the island and the hike and swim at Emerald Pool, we went to the Layou River and got life jackets and helmets for a bit of white water/bit of drifting trip down the river. It was nearly an hour on the water, and the company was very safety conscious. One couple in the van did not want to do the river trip or did not bring swimsuits, so they were taken to a nice little pub for a beer while we did the float trip. This would be a great trip for families or those who (like me) love outdoor stuff but have knees that wear out before I do. Our driver was Henryford, but the owner of Antours (whose name I do not remember) was in charge of the rafting and he and his wife gave us a peanut rum drink (think a Mr Goodbar in a rum milkshake) when we came off the river that really tasted good!

If you get a chance to do this and like water, go for it!

If you paid for a tour you really shouldn't have had to pay extra for on site guides. Our tour guide accompanied us to all sites, except for the Carib reservation. At Barana Aute (Carib Reservation), a guide from the reservation takes guests on a 45 minute tour. Even on a hike as easy as Emerald Pool, your guide can point out interesting plants and trees, etc.

If you paid for a tour you really shouldn't have had to pay extra for on site guides. Our tour guide accompanied us to all sites, except for the Carib reservation. At Barana Aute (Carib Reservation), a guide from the reservation takes guests on a 45 minute tour. Even on a hike as easy as Emerald Pool, your guide can point out interesting plants and trees, etc.

Was your tour with Antours? Do you mind if I ask who was your guide if you remember? I feel exactly the same way and will follow up with Antours before we leave to be sure what the policy is. If they only drive you to the locations, I don't know what the difference is between the tour and a taxi.

Hi all! I decided to email Antours and see what they said about the tour guides. They have always been extremely responsive. After receiving their response, I asked if they minded my posting it here and they thanked me for being willing to post it. I'm guessing the people who do give the walking and driving tours either have an agreement with the National Park or are a small enough organization to "pass under the radar" of the National Park Association.

Hi Ann,

Thanks for bringing the matter to our attention.

The authorities do not allow Drivers to go on the trails/hikes. The drivers can only go up to the Reception Center. Only National Parks sanctioned guides are allowed to take visitors on the trails. These guides charge for their services. At Trafalgar Falls it is US$5.00 per person. The visitor may or may not use the services of these guides, as the trail can be easily navigated. The driver should normally explain this procedure to the clients.

We provide all the entry tickets to the site, which costs US$5.00. This entry fee is quite separate from the Park Guide fee.

You know, Ann, this is not a situation we are happy with, and we are in constant dialogue with the National Parks Authorities with a view to having them change the rules. They insist that the Drivers are not guides and should remain with their vehicles.

I hope I have shed some light on the matter.

Kindest regards, and Happy Holidays.

Anison.

So are Antours' drivers certified tour guides??? The Dominican government has a certification program. The officers who checked our tickets at each place greeted our guide, a couple knew him by name. He was not asked to pay admission as he was a guide. So this must be accepted practice. We visited Trafalgar Falls, Soufriere Hot Springs, Titou Gorge, Middleham Falls, etc. Certified tour guides must learn about history, local flora and fauna etc. Perhaps tours are being given by drivers and not certified tour guides?

Our guide told us about several group hikes he had participated in with the Dominican Tourism Association, to familarize himself even more with off the beaten track trails. Apparently, it requires a level of commitment to be a certified guide. Actually every day he toured with us he wore a different t-shirt from one of those hikes. We asked him about it and he told us about the hikes and that local guides go on them and they are sponsored by local businesses who provide refreshments at the end, etc. But it showed us that he was serious about staying informed and current.

I also don't know why the fee information was brought into it. It is common knowledge that a $5 entrance fee is charged for many attractions. It is similar to our National Park Entrance fees, it goes for trail maintenance, etc. Antours also should have mentioned that there is a $12 weekly pass that can be purchased; more economical if one plans on visiting more than two attractions that require a fee. But I wonder what that has to do with the guide accompanying guests?

I looked around the internet for private tour guides and had a bit of a hard time finding a private guide. Prices were very high. There were just two of us so we couldn't split costs with other people and I refused to do a group tour. I absolutely hate group tours. I was going to use Woody from Off The Beaten Track first because I read about him here. I wanted to use someone there was information about because we were going to tour several days and I didn't want to end up with someone who would ruin our vacation- we were going to spend a lot of time with this person... He didn't honor the price listed on the website of 180.00 USD. He quoted a price of 245.00USD including champagne which my husband nor I cared anything about. I'd rather pay less and buy my own drinks if and when I wanted them!! I was really getting frustrated. I even **called** the Dominica Tourist Board and asked for a list of certified guides. They were very little help. They sent me a list of five or six names after I called a few times and no other information about them. I was really getting ready to give up...

Finally I got a break. On the Dominica Forum at Trip Advisor someone recommended locating local guides at visit-dominica.com I went there and sent messages to about four guides telling them what I wanted to do. Pepper responded within an hour and honored the price on the site. That was honorable to me especially since our first day was starting out in Castle Bruce, a little over an hour from Roseau- which is where tours generally originate. I was also able to get some information about him through reviews of his two properties- people had posted reviews of those on Trip Advisor, so that put me at ease. We booked with him. He didn't ask for a deposit either (which I later discovered others do after reading more posts on this board). He showed up at our hotel at 7:30 for our 8:30 meeting time, he was so concerned about being prompt. We were very happy with him. He was phenomenal.

So are Antours' drivers certified tour guides??? The Dominican government has a certification program. The officers who checked our tickets at each place greeted our guide, a couple knew him by name. He was not asked to pay admission as he was a guide. So this must be accepted practice. We visited Trafalgar Falls, Soufriere Hot Springs, Titou Gorge, Middleham Falls, etc. Certified tour guides must learn about history, local flora and fauna etc. Perhaps tours are being given by drivers and not certified tour guides?

Our guide told us about several group hikes he had participated in with the Dominican Tourism Association, to familarize himself even more with off the beaten track trails. Apparently, it requires a level of commitment to be a certified guide. Actually every day he toured with us he wore a different t-shirt from one of those hikes. We asked him about it and he told us about the hikes and that local guides go on them and they are sponsored by local businesses who provide refreshments at the end, etc. But it showed us that he was serious about staying informed and current.

I also don't know why the fee information was brought into it. It is common knowledge that a $5 entrance fee is charged for many attractions. It is similar to our National Park Entrance fees, it goes for trail maintenance, etc. Antours also should have mentioned that there is a $12 weekly pass that can be purchased; more economical if one plans on visiting more than two attractions that require a fee. But I wonder what that has to do with the guide accompanying guests?

Based on the email I posted above, I am guessing they are not certified guides. They are listed as chauffers on the website which it seems is acurate. I have only read positive reviews of Antours and they have been very responsive to us.

Antours mentioned that there are fees, but they include them in the prices of the tours. We do not pay anything additional to get into the sites included as part of our tour. We are coming in on a cruise ship so a weekly pass would not be worth it for us any way. In addition to the $5 entrance fee, there were guides at some of the sites offering others on this board a guided trip down the trail for $5 per person. This was in addition to the entrance fees. I originally emailed Antours to ask about those fees when I received the information posted above. That is why they were talking about it.

We have a private tour (originally for 4 of us, but now includes 2 others we met in our rollcall) for the 6 of us that lasts 6 hours and is about the same price as is quoted for the group tours on the web site. There are no group tours on the web site as long as our tour or that go to all the same locations as our tour, so I can't match it up exactly, but I think $5 extra for an extra stop and extra hour is a good deal.

Our deposit (which was optional but requested) was paid securly through Paypal and is 100% refundable if we cancel with notice, or if our ship does not make it into port. I don't think a deposit (not the full sum) is unreasonable. Our private tour on St Maarten required a credit card number to insure our arrival. She was stuck too many times by people who booked but never showed up.

Hi,

I already posted that we had a great time with Antours and just wanted to reassure you that our impression was very positive and professional. The 'guides' in the parks are nothing to do with the tour companies and people on the ship tour and on taxis and on other tours were all approached by them at the park trails. I appreciated knowing that the entrance fee was included when we booked, since we have been on tours where you were expected to fork out admission charges as you arrived at sites. We paid the whole amount ahead via paypal. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip and it is a stunning island!

Hi,

I already posted that we had a great time with Antours and just wanted to reassure you that our impression was very positive and professional. The 'guides' in the parks are nothing to do with the tour companies and people on the ship tour and on taxis and on other tours were all approached by them at the park trails. I appreciated knowing that the entrance fee was included when we booked, since we have been on tours where you were expected to fork out admission charges as you arrived at sites. We paid the whole amount ahead via paypal. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip and it is a stunning island!

Thank you for posting this. I have been very impressed with the service I have recevied so far even though our trip is not until March. I also appreciated the explanation I received when I asked about the guides because, although it wouldn't make me change my mind about our tour, I did think it was odd.

I am really excited about this tour. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Am going to book the river tubing with Antours for next April but was just wondering if anyone knows how often they do their "special offers".... Someone further back in this thread got 50% off last November/December and I would hate to pay $57 each if I can get it for half price in a few weeks time - I know that sounds penny-pinching, but there IS a recession over here in the UK you know!;) :rolleyes:

Hi,

I'm going back in February and I saw that Antours had the 50% discount for this holiday season. I think it expires soon though. I was able to get the discount for my riving tubing tour. You should check it out. I can't wait for my trip. Hope you have fun on yours as well.:)

They contacted us a little while ago and said we could have half off the balance of our existing reservation if we paid the balance in full.

Did anyone else have to pay in full to get their discount?

Some places won't honor discounts for people who have already booked, so I was happy with what I got. One of the four of us is now free. Not bad. :D

I have just booked and paid in full (via Paypal) and received my 50% discount. I'd understood that I'd be paying in full anyway (had first made enquiries with them in October) so am more than happy to only be paying $57 in total.:D I'm a born optimist, so I just KNOW there won't be any problems with missing the island or anything else that would stop us doing the tour!;)

Thanks again for the heads up on the discount... I've been watching the site for weeks now, but had got a bit lax over the holiday period so would have missed this!

That sounds like a great deal alwalaska. Do you mind me asking how much it cost?

We are doing a 5 hour private tour and we were quoted $45 per person for the 4 of us. We later added two additional people at the same price.

We paid a 50% deposit, but then received the email with the special holiday price and were given 50% of our remaining cost free if we paid in full. I was OK with the original price, so the discount was great.

The other 2 people going with us ended up doing the same thing and they saved about $22 since they balance due was lower than ours.

I can't wait until March.

We are booked with Antours on the five hour tour. He cut us a deal even though I was late on the promotion. Very happy with service so far!!

Congrats. I too have been very happy with the service so far. Can't wait til March to see the island.

I'm glad to see positive responses here. I, in no way, meant to discourage people from booking with Antours! I enjoyed the tour and service. I only meant to let others know of the extra trail to the bottom of the falls. I still think $5 pp was an okay price for our trail guide, as we wouldn't have known about the lower trail otherwise. I'm a regular hiker, so enjoyed the extra trail.

So, at Trafalgar Falls and Sulphur Springs, if you don't want to pay the trail guide, just let him know you aren't interested! And if you're a good hiker, try doing the extra trail, it was fun! There was a warm spring to cross, so bend down to feel the water!

Have fun! :)

I'm glad to see positive responses here. I, in no way, meant to discourage people from booking with Antours! I enjoyed the tour and service. I only meant to let others know of the extra trail to the bottom of the falls. I still think $5 pp was an okay price for our trail guide, as we wouldn't have known about the lower trail otherwise. I'm a regular hiker, so enjoyed the extra trail.

So, at Trafalgar Falls and Sulphur Springs, if you don't want to pay the trail guide, just let him know you aren't interested! And if you're a good hiker, try doing the extra trail, it was fun! There was a warm spring to cross, so bend down to feel the water!

Have fun! :)

I'm really glad you posted. It didn't discourage us, but it did cause me to email Antours for clarification because it is not fun to get blindsided like that, even if it is only $5 per person. When you have a larger group, that starts to add up.

I was very satisfied with the explanation from Antours and I was also pleased with his explanation that the drivers should tell you about the additional fee and that he would verify that his drivers were doing this.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

We visited Dominica on 14th December and had pre-booked river tubing with antours and already paid via paypall.

We were picked up from the pier, visited the Emerald Pools and a good guide of the island but unfortunately they had experienced a lot of rain and we were unable to do the river tubing. We were obviously disappointed but we had a wonderful tour and the driver was very friendly. I was a bit concerned that, as we had not river tubed, we had made an expensive island tour, but on returning to the ship, and checking my pay pal account, I had already received a refund that I was more than happy with.

Should we return to Dominica we shall certainly try to do the river tubing again!

Sue:)

We visited Dominica on 14th December and had pre-booked river tubing with antours and already paid via paypall.

We were picked up from the pier, visited the Emerald Pools and a good guide of the island but unfortunately they had experienced a lot of rain and we were unable to do the river tubing. We were obviously disappointed but we had a wonderful tour and the driver was very friendly. I was a bit concerned that, as we had not river tubed, we had made an expensive island tour, but on returning to the ship, and checking my pay pal account, I had already received a refund that I was more than happy with.

Should we return to Dominica we shall certainly try to do the river tubing again!

Sue:)

Sorry you couldn't do the tubing, but I am glad to hear that Antours did the right thing with a refund. They have impressed me so far with their customer service. I can't wait until March.

Archived