Antours?

trish1c

It appears from looking at their website, that their sightseeing tours are in a bus. Anyone confirm that? I prefer a smaller vehicle for a tour, like a van or even a car. There are just 4 of us, so maybe a taxi tour might be better. Any suggestions?

I emailed them and asked about a private tour. It was slightly more expensive than their regular tours, but it is just the 4 of us so we can be flexible if needed. Our cruise isn't until March, but I will report back after if you are interested.

I emailed them and asked about a private tour. It was slightly more expensive than their regular tours, but it is just the 4 of us so we can be flexible if needed. Our cruise isn't until March, but I will report back after if you are interested.

Thanks Ann! We cruise in 5+ weeks, so I have to decide soon! I did email them, got a prompt reply. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, emailed again, got another prompt reply! I think we can customize a tour to suit us. I was trying to get a beach stop after our cruise, but it added quite a bit to the tour price. Not much for beach choices in the area of the tour.

So, has anyone been to Mero Beach? It's what Antours is recommending for a beach stop, after their tour.

Thanks Ann! We cruise in 5+ weeks, so I have to decide soon! I did email them, got a prompt reply. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, emailed again, got another prompt reply! I think we can customize a tour to suit us. I was trying to get a beach stop after our cruise, but it added quite a bit to the tour price. Not much for beach choices in the area of the tour.

So, has anyone been to Mero Beach? It's what Antours is recommending for a beach stop, after their tour.

We stopped at a beach on our tour. It was beautiful, you could rent chairs and such. If I remember right its a black sand beach so it gets really hot. I think we were there for a hour or so.

Also when we took the tour we were in a large van not a bus. There were 8 of us. Four in my group and 4 in another group. We had a ball, I would do his tour again!

Laura

We stopped at a beach on our tour. It was beautiful, you could rent chairs and such. If I remember right its a black sand beach so it gets really hot. I think we were there for a hour or so.

Also when we took the tour we were in a large van not a bus. There were 8 of us. Four in my group and 4 in another group. We had a ball, I would do his tour again!

Laura

Besides the beach, what did you go see? What was your favorite thing.

Since the beaches are black sand (volcanic island) from what I understand, a lot of people who aren't ready for that are disappointed. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the warning about the heat. We will make sure we have our water shoes or something.

If you email antours, they will send you a complete list of all the stops they will make on the date of your tour..

I've already reserved a tour with Antours, but they have a lot of different options and I was wondering which stops people have visited and what they liked the best.

Besides the beach, what did you go see? What was your favorite thing.

Since the beaches are black sand (volcanic island) from what I understand, a lot of people who aren't ready for that are disappointed. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the warning about the heat. We will make sure we have our water shoes or something.

Let me see, we first stopped at an overlook to see the town and the ships, it was every pretty. Then we drove to the falls. We all walked down to the falls then hiked back up. There are bathrooms (pay restrooms) at the top. Then we drove to Mr. Nice fruit stand. This is a really neat stop, Mr Nice will cut up all kinds of fruit and you taste them. There is a world of diffence in fresh fruit. It was all very yummy. Then we drove to the river along the way they would stop to show us stuff growing wild along the road mostly spices.

On the river tubing we had to put on helmets and life vest. There were 6 or 7 guys there to help you down the river. Or help you along if you needed it. I fell out of the tube on the first set of rapids, and one of the guys was there right away. He then stay close in case I fell out again. I felt very safe, someone was always watching you. Had a great time.

We then went to the black sand beach which is very beautiful. I love black sand beaches as you really don't see them that often. We stayed there for about 1.5 hours. There were bathrooms there and also you could get something to drink and eat. Then we were off again and back to the ship. This was a all day tour. We had a wonderful time and I am thinking of doing it again in December.

Laura

Let me see, we first stopped at an overlook to see the town and the ships, it was every pretty. Then we drove to the falls. We all walked down to the falls then hiked back up. There are bathrooms (pay restrooms) at the top. Then we drove to Mr. Nice fruit stand. This is a really neat stop, Mr Nice will cut up all kinds of fruit and you taste them. There is a world of diffence in fresh fruit. It was all very yummy. Then we drove to the river along the way they would stop to show us stuff growing wild along the road mostly spices.

On the river tubing we had to put on helmets and life vest. There were 6 or 7 guys there to help you down the river. Or help you along if you needed it. I fell out of the tube on the first set of rapids, and one of the guys was there right away. He then stay close in case I fell out again. I felt very safe, someone was always watching you. Had a great time.

We then went to the black sand beach which is very beautiful. I love black sand beaches as you really don't see them that often. We stayed there for about 1.5 hours. There were bathrooms there and also you could get something to drink and eat. Then we were off again and back to the ship. This was a all day tour. We had a wonderful time and I am thinking of doing it again in December.

Laura

Thank you so much. It sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the description, Laura!

After a few emails back and forth, we've finally come to an agreement for a tour with Antours! We have decided on a shorter tour, so we could get a private one for just the 4 of us. We plan to see the view from Morne Bruce, Sulphur Springs, Trafalgar Falls, and the botancial gardens, time permitting. I'll try to remember to post my experience, when we return, mid-Nov.

Thanks for the description, Laura!

After a few emails back and forth, we've finally come to an agreement for a tour with Antours! We have decided on a shorter tour, so we could get a private one for just the 4 of us. We plan to see the view from Morne Bruce, Sulphur Springs, Trafalgar Falls, and the botancial gardens, time permitting. I'll try to remember to post my experience, when we return, mid-Nov.

Have a great time. I can't wait to hear how it went. We have Trafalgar Falls and the Sulphur Springs on ours, but we have Layou Valley and the Emerald Pool scheduled instead of your other 2 stops.

Have a great time. I can't wait to hear how it went. We have Trafalgar Falls and the Sulphur Springs on ours, but we have Layou Valley and the Emerald Pool scheduled instead of your other 2 stops.

Do you have a private tour booked? How many hours does your tour take? I just didn't want to spend hours in a van, so opted for what we could see in about 3 hours. Then we'll go back to the ship for lunch, then maybe back out to shop in the little market near the dock. I would've liked to go to Mr Nice's fruit stand, but it's north, when we're more south! Oh well, can't do everything! :)

Do you have a private tour booked? How many hours does your tour take? I just didn't want to spend hours in a van, so opted for what we could see in about 3 hours. Then we'll go back to the ship for lunch, then maybe back out to shop in the little market near the dock. I would've liked to go to Mr Nice's fruit stand, but it's north, when we're more south! Oh well, can't do everything! :)

Sounds like you have a great plan! Have a great time!

Laura

We have a six hour private tour booked for the 4 of us. It sounds like some of the hikes take a while, so we won't really be in the van for all that long. I am planning on taking it easy the next day because I am sure we will be tired after all the walking and touring.

This is what Antours sent us when I described what w were looking for:

Trafalgar Twin Waterfalls - # 1 on the island, short rainforest walk

Wotton Wavon Sulphur Springs - short bush walk to see steam vents

Emerald Pool & Waterfall - nice pool in the rainforest where you all can swim, short walk

Mr. Nice - taste assortment of home-grown fruits and other delicacies

Layou Valley & Gorge - agricultural plantations, wonderfull river, nice rapids

Mero Black Sand Beach - popular, food & drinks available for sale

We have a six hour private tour booked for the 4 of us. It sounds like some of the hikes take a while, so we won't really be in the van for all that long. I am planning on taking it easy the next day because I am sure we will be tired after all the walking and touring.

This is what Antours sent us when I described what w were looking for:

Trafalgar Twin Waterfalls - # 1 on the island, short rainforest walk

Wotton Wavon Sulphur Springs - short bush walk to see steam vents

Emerald Pool & Waterfall - nice pool in the rainforest where you all can swim, short walk

Mr. Nice - taste assortment of home-grown fruits and other delicacies

Layou Valley & Gorge - agricultural plantations, wonderfull river, nice rapids

Mero Black Sand Beach - popular, food & drinks available for sale

Sounds like a great tour! I'm a regular hiker, would've loved what you're doing. BUT, the guys don't hike, one has a bad knee (etc.! ;) ) so your excursion would be too much for them. And anything longer than 2 or 3 hours in a van, without much walking, would get tiring anyway! :D

Isn't it great that we can plan excursions online, with the advice of others before us? :cool: On my hike yesterday (to the base of Mt. St. Helens) a lady in the van had just come back from an Alaskan cruise. We talked cruising, and I suggested CC to her! She was very interested to learn the insider tips!

Sounds like a great tour! I'm a regular hiker, would've loved what you're doing. BUT, the guys don't hike, one has a bad knee (etc.! ;) ) so your excursion would be too much for them. And anything longer than 2 or 3 hours in a van, without much walking, would get tiring anyway! :D

Isn't it great that we can plan excursions online, with the advice of others before us? :cool: On my hike yesterday (to the base of Mt. St. Helens) a lady in the van had just come back from an Alaskan cruise. We talked cruising, and I suggested CC to her! She was very interested to learn the insider tips!

I'm the least hiker in our crew, so I am a little worried, but I'm sure it will be OK if I can just get healthy and get back to the gym.

I agree, more than 3 hours when not taking time for hikes would be tough.

It is awesome to have this wonderful group to bounce ideas off of. Alaska is totally amazing.

Have a great trip, just over 4 weeks sounds so close. Enjoy!

I'm the least hiker in our crew, so I am a little worried, but I'm sure it will be OK if I can just get healthy and get back to the gym.

I agree, more than 3 hours when not taking time for hikes would be tough.

It is awesome to have this wonderful group to bounce ideas off of. Alaska is totally amazing.

Have a great trip, just over 4 weeks sounds so close. Enjoy!

Thanks! Hard to believe it's coming up soon! We booked in Feb., so it's been a long wait! Well, then in the meantime, we took a Mexican Riviera cruise, with time at Disneyland. But, that was back in May, so we're ready to vacation again! :D

I also loved Alaska, even though it's cold. Thinking of going next May, if the prices aren't too high. We can drive to Seattle, or take the train, then cruise from there. The only port we don't have to fly to!

• 2 weeks later...

Am going to book the river tubing with Antours for next April but was just wondering if anyone knows how often they do their "special offers".... Someone further back in this thread got 50% off last November/December and I would hate to pay $57 each if I can get it for half price in a few weeks time - I know that sounds penny-pinching, but there IS a recession over here in the UK you know!;) :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loved our cruise and stay in Old San Juan! Hate to be home to cold weather, but it's sunny, just glad it's not raining. Know it will again soon enough!

We had a great tour with Antours. We're having trouble remembering our guides from the different islands, but we both think we had Tony on this tour. Best thing about a private tour is that we get to the sights faster, before the bigger buses! Less crowded, way better! Many people piling in when we would be leaving! We had stops to see the views, drove through the Botanical Garden, and loved our stop in the Rain Forest and Trafalgar Falls. There he gave us over to a walking guide (yep, cost us another $5 each! :rolleyes: ) However, that guide, Phillip, not only explanined plants, etc., along the way, he also took us further than the viewing platform, along a trail to some pools at the bottom of the falls. We wouldn't have known to go there without Phillip, so didn't mind paying extra. So, if you don't want a guide, be sure to say so, and if time permits, go on the lower trail on your own. It rained in the Rain Forest :D, so bring a disposable rain poncho or umbrella, or plan on getting wet! We dried quickly! Do not wear flip-flops, or other shoes difficult to walk in. I had walking sandals that strap around my ankle and it was okay. Tennies or "Teva"-type water sandals would've been better. Next was the Sulphur springs. Again guides tried to go with us, but we said "no thanks". Really no need for one here anyway. They do explain some local things, however.

Overall, we loved this tour and island. So lush and beautiful! Those going next, enjoy!!!!! :)

Loved our cruise and stay in Old San Juan! Hate to be home to cold weather, but it's sunny, just glad it's not raining. Know it will again soon enough!

We had a great tour with Antours. We're having trouble remembering our guides from the different islands, but we both think we had Tony on this tour. Best thing about a private tour is that we get to the sights faster, before the bigger buses! Less crowded, way better! Many people piling in when we would be leaving! We had stops to see the views, drove through the Botanical Garden, and loved our stop in the Rain Forest and Trafalgar Falls. There he gave us over to a walking guide (yep, cost us another $5 each! :rolleyes: ) However, that guide, Phillip, not only explanined plants, etc., along the way, he also took us further than the viewing platform, along a trail to some pools at the bottom of the falls. We wouldn't have known to go there without Phillip, so didn't mind paying extra. So, if you don't want a guide, be sure to say so, and if time permits, go on the lower trail on your own. It rained in the Rain Forest :D, so bring a disposable rain poncho or umbrella, or plan on getting wet! We dried quickly! Do not wear flip-flops, or other shoes difficult to walk in. I had walking sandals that strap around my ankle and it was okay. Tennies or "Teva"-type water sandals would've been better. Next was the Sulphur springs. Again guides tried to go with us, but we said "no thanks". Really no need for one here anyway. They do explain some local things, however.

Overall, we loved this tour and island. So lush and beautiful! Those going next, enjoy!!!!! :)

Thank you so much for the review. I can't wait to go. Do you mean that your Antours guide did not go with you when you left the car to go to the walking things? Or was it just that you also had the opportunity to use these additional guides if you wanted?

Thanks again! March seems too far away.

Thank you so much for the review. I can't wait to go. Do you mean that your Antours guide did not go with you when you left the car to go to the walking things? Or was it just that you also had the opportunity to use these additional guides if you wanted?

Thanks again! March seems too far away.

No, our driver let us off at the parking spot, right at the start of the trail to the falls. No way to get lost, so one wouldn't need a guide. And if you like to hike, just a bit, the trail from the viewing platform isn't hard to follow. (of course I hike regularly, mostly once a week, so don't have much trouble scouting out a trail!) Our guide to the falls just approached us and said he'd be our guide, and we didn't think to ask what he charged! I think our driver and the guide work together, our driver trying to give business to the guide. So, if you really don't want to spend the additional $5 pp, just say no thanks when he he says he'll be your guide. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Dominica and did the "River Rafting" with Antours and had a ball. Great bunch of people, there was only 4 of us and when we got to the river there were 5 guides to help us all down the river. It lasted for about half an hour and they were the nicest people. We also stop at the Emerald Waterfall and took a dip that was very refreshing. I highly recommend them.

Archived