What kind of power (availability) to expect?

Bogus Exception

I did a search, but can't seem to find a direct answer in the existing posts here... We're on the Celerity Galaxy in about a month, and I'm getting the AC charges, power strips, etc. all lined up. I just need to know the # and type of outlets to expect.

Outlets (if 110v/60hz) come in the following flavors:

1. Non-polarized, ungrounded: These are the oldest, and have just 2 slots that are the same size, so plugs can go in either way. These are very old, and should not have more than a 10amp capacity. In most places, these are not considered "up to code" these days.

2. Polarized, ungrounded: Newer, and have one slot a little bigger than the other. Plugs that are polarized only go in one way, but non-polarized plugs can still go in either way. If your house (in the US) has these, you have 15 amp outlets/wiring (if to code!).

3. Polarized, grounded: These are the newest, and have 3 holes; one slot bigger than the other as above, but there is an extra "hole" that allows "3 prong" plugs. These are (if to code) for 20amp outlets.

All of this assumes U.S.-style wiring, which I have no reason to believe Celebrity/Galaxy has.

We have a RS, so if anyone knows the # and type of outlets to expect, I'd be extremely interested! Also, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who actually "tripped" a breaker on-board, and what you had plugged in to do so!

On another note, today the NTSB announced a severe restriction on Lithium batteries on planes as of and after Jan 1, 2008. I'm all NiMH, but I wonder if the folks at the airports will just throw everything away! They don't typically seem to be too knowledgeable, or interested, in such technicalities!

TIA!

:)

I did a search, but can't seem to find a direct answer in the existing posts here... We're on the Celerity Galaxy in about a month, and I'm getting the AC charges, power strips, etc. all lined up. I just need to know the # and type of outlets to expect.

Outlets (if 110v/60hz) come in the following flavors:

1. Non-polarized, ungrounded: These are the oldest, and have just 2 slots that are the same size, so plugs can go in either way. These are very old, and should not have more than a 10amp capacity. In most places, these are not considered "up to code" these days.

2. Polarized, ungrounded: Newer, and have one slot a little bigger than the other. Plugs that are polarized only go in one way, but non-polarized plugs can still go in either way. If your house (in the US) has these, you have 15 amp outlets/wiring (if to code!).

3. Polarized, grounded: These are the newest, and have 3 holes; one slot bigger than the other as above, but there is an extra "hole" that allows "3 prong" plugs. These are (if to code) for 20amp outlets.

All of this assumes U.S.-style wiring, which I have no reason to believe Celebrity/Galaxy has.

We have a RS, so if anyone knows the # and type of outlets to expect, I'd be extremely interested! Also, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who actually "tripped" a breaker on-board, and what you had plugged in to do so!

On another note, today the NTSB announced a severe restriction on Lithium batteries on planes as of and after Jan 1, 2008. I'm all NiMH, but I wonder if the folks at the airports will just throw everything away! They don't typically seem to be too knowledgeable, or interested, in such technicalities!

TIA!

:)

on the M class ships there are 2 standard 3 prong outlets - by the desk

I usualy take an extension cord for a Cpap machine and drape it on the floor.

There may be one in the bathroom but it is for a razor only

hermang said: "I usualy take an extension cord for a Cpap machine and drape it on the floor."

I use a CPAP as well. I'll be on the Mercury in June. - Are there no outlets near the beds? I may have to add a heavy duty extension cord myself.

Be sure to look UNDER any vanity/computer desk in your cabin. M-class Royal Suites have an outlet under the vanity table in the bedroom. There's also one under the computer desk in the sitting room. You can't easily see these... you have to get down and look for them. I haven't been on the Galaxy so I can't comment specifically for that ship or cabin.

Three prong.

Standard non-suite rooms have one outlet, or a pair of outlets, by the desk that are three prong grounded polarized outlets. There is also a pair of outlets behind the TV that may or may not be accessible depending on the room and TV. One additional outlet in the bathroom that is labeled for shavers only - not powerful enough for hair dryers. It is a two prong non-polarized outlet. We usually bring a small night light so we don't have to use the main bathroom light at night - but this doesn't work on the C class ships as the outlet is switched with the bathroom light.

I bring a power strip on cruises because we are always charging something or using the power for something. We have camera batteries, ipods x2, phones x2, laptop, etc. to charge and I use the desk for blow drying my hair (I bring my own) and using the curling iron. So the desk outlet is always in use.

I am always a little sad when I can't use my night light in the bathroom, Larry. It's so nice to not have to blast the cabin with light in the middle of the night when using the bathroom. I try to turn the light on after I enter and off before I leave, but then I find myself groping around the room trying to find my way back to bed....I've stubbed a few toes and bumped a shin or two over the years. :)

We keep a small flashlight on each night stand and also prefer them to night lights because you can point the light directly where you want it. That makes it easy to find something in a drawer in the middle of the night, read the label on medication, get a drink from the fridge, or pick up anything dropped on the floor without needing to turn the lights on.

I am always a little sad when I can't use my night light in the bathroom, Larry. It's so nice to not have to blast the cabin with light in the middle of the night when using the bathroom. I try to turn the light on after I enter and off before I leave, but then I find myself groping around the room trying to find my way back to bed....I've stubbed a few toes and bumped a shin or two over the years. :)

So true! The bathroom is way too dark to use at night without any light, and it is a pain having the light on the outside of the door since you have to turn it on while the door is open - sometimes disturbs my sleeping wife. A night light works fine on M Class ships if you make sure to bring one that has a non-polarized plug. When we were on the Galaxy (C-Class Ship) last year I ended up using my cell phone as a little flashlight. This year I'll try and remember to bring a small light as suggested in one the threads immediately above.

Be sure to look UNDER any vanity/computer desk in your cabin. M-class Royal Suites have an outlet under the vanity table in the bedroom. There's also one under the computer desk in the sitting room. You can't easily see these... you have to get down and look for them. I haven't been on the Galaxy so I can't comment specifically for that ship or cabin.

This might be a ship by ship thing for RS. On Mille (12/2/07 cruise) the vanity had only two outlets and one was take up by the cordless phone (which was handy). Did not see any extra on the vanity but didn't look that closely. The internet station/computer area cabinet was open (normally these things have a lock) and had a power strip with several extra slots in it, enough for ipod/camera charging.

Bogus,

Aboard your Galaxy suite, you will find at least one 3 prong polarized outlet in the cabin area. It will look something like this (photo I took from our Horizon Suite):

44734.jpg

I believe that this is good for 15 amp service.

In your bathroom, you will find a 2 prong unpolarized outlet built into the housing of the hairdryer which will look like this (photo taken from our Millennium bathroom):

47b8df20b3127cce985488e1895300000057100AbMmblu3bNGLA

This is obviously for light duty.

FWIW, we found that the receptacles in our Infinity cabin would accept 20 amp plugs--these are the 3 prong plugs (polarized) where one prong is a horizontal blade, one prong is the normal vertical blade, and a ground. Here is a photo of these receptacles:

6114.jpg

Curiously, we did not have these high current receptacles in our Millennium cabin (they were the conventional 3 prong outlets like in the first photo).

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! Man, many thanks to all that posted (Bogus is my other 1/2). The pictures are terrific! We're bringing a fair amount of electronics with us (just the way "he" travels... guys...) so this actually matters. The camera equipment alone takes a few chargers, then the 2-ways, then the laptops, etc. !

Again, many thanks! I'm sure we'll end up taking all kinds of pictures, too!

One thing, though. We're leaving tomorrow, so I'll not see the replies, but has anyone ever had any problems with "dirty" power on a cruise ship? If you don't know what this means, it's ok. It is a term describing the purity of the sine wave of the generated power available. If the power is too dirty, it damages sensitive electronics.

Just curious!

TIA!

My husband always travels with his CPAP. We have learned over the years to contact Special Services in advance of our trip and they are kind enough to provide a gallon of distilled water and a heavy duty extension cord. We usually have to remind the cabin steward, but it is always promptly provided. It sure beats having to go to a store and schlep a gallon of water onto the ship.

For those who don't use a CPAP, the water is for the humidification chamber that provides relief from the dry air. In hubby's machine, you must use distilled water. Tap water and spring water will just gum up the works!

Bubbie617 -

Thank you for that great suggestion. My husband is now on one of those (less than a year now), and I was trying to decide how long of a cord, etc. to buy/pack. Instead we will contact Special Services. Since he uses tap water here, I'm guessing that won't be an issue for us.

Archived